Author Topic: Winter Audax Tyres  (Read 9880 times)

Re: Winter Audax Tyres
« Reply #50 on: 05 February, 2018, 10:09:51 am »

I was about to hit buy on a pair of GP 4 Season 28mm tyres, when I realised they don't have reflective side walls. Which is a pain, as a lot of my rides cross into Germany, and I don't fancy the time penalty on an Audax of trying to explain to a German police officer that my bike complies with the Vienna convention, thus is legal... even if it doesn't have all the stuff they think it should for German laws...

Yet the GP4000s II comes in a reflex and non reflex version. I'm surprised that Continental being a Germany company don't do reflective side walls on their winter tyre...

J

Yes, this confuses me as well. I've had GP4000s with reflective sidewalls, yet can't get 4 seasons in reflective sidewall versions - but I use the GP4000s in the summer and 4 Seasons in the winter, so it would make far more sense to do them the other way round! ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Winter Audax Tyres
« Reply #51 on: 12 February, 2018, 10:03:13 pm »
I'm *fairly* sure I.ve had 4 Seasons with a reflectiveband.  All of Contis tyres seem to come with and without it,  seemingly at random - or perhaps I just don't read the small print closely enough!

Anyway, I'd say spoke reflectors aremore effective if you are worried, and I think there are bigger risks of DNF/delay than very very picky traffic cops - even in Deutschland. Your risk assesment may vary :P

I've had several sets on 4 seasons and non had reflectiveband .... I have read reviews on wiggle saying that the conti reflectiveband is shite and comes off over time

I'd rather get a Knog Blinder which has a very wide throw of light (almost 180 degrees), and which can be directed to shine down so as to give better coverage of the road 30 meters ahead,

it will be very good when you are on an auduax at night (combined with your main light, this will be very good as a fill in light and it does not take much space on your handlebar .... plus it lasts 5 hours between charges (on steady)

my wife has one and if a car approching from the side cannot see her at night, they should not be allowed to drive

<pedant>
Cars CAN'T see.

Some drivers don't LOOK, which is another matter.