Author Topic: iPhone 4s gobbling allowance  (Read 1154 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
iPhone 4s gobbling allowance
« on: 13 March, 2018, 04:17:41 pm »
Missus, definitely not a phone nerd, uses an iPhone 4s. Somehow or other she recently managed to disable WiFi and her fixed data allowance was gobbled, I surmise  by updating apps.

On my Android phones there has always been an option to update apps only when WiFi is available. I've been through the iPhone's tortuous guts until I'm sick of it and can't find any such option.

Can anyone help?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Chris N

Re: iPhone 4s gobbling allowance
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2018, 04:22:17 pm »
On iOS 11 it's Settings > Apple ID > iTunes & App Store > Use Mobile Data ?  I assume it's similar on the 4S.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2018, 04:23:08 pm »
Go to Settings> Mobile Data  and scroll down to App Store. Move the slider to the left so that it goes from green to white.

That stops that app using mobile data.

That screen will also show how much data the various apps have consumed since last time the statistics were reset

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2018, 04:24:13 pm »
Looks like there's more than one way to skin a cat!

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2018, 05:08:37 pm »
Chris N's answer is the one you want. The "App Store" box on the Mobile Data screen is only for browsing within the App Store app itself.

Updating apps is done by a system service - you'll find a "System Services" item at the very bottom of the Mobile Data screen, which will show data usage.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2018, 05:25:52 pm »
Interesting:

"Mobile Data" is "Cellular Data" on the 4s, and the menu item that governs it is "Cellular".

Settings>App Store>Use Cellular Data was off
Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data was on. Not any more.

I do hope it stays that way, but nothing is certain.

Cheers, all. :thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2018, 05:29:53 pm »
If you change the phone's default language to British English it'll change that 'cellular' to 'mobile'. Also it'll now play the National Anthem every night at bedtime and put the Queen on speed dial.