Author Topic: Recommendations for software to back up an android phone  (Read 1247 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Recommendations for software to back up an android phone
« on: 29 June, 2018, 08:40:12 pm »
My Moto E2 is playing up and have been told to do a factory reset. 

So any idea of free software to back up the phone.  Have backed up the texts and photos.  So was wondering what else needed backing up.

Thanks

Re: Recommendations for software to back up an android phone
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2018, 09:37:29 pm »
You can backup apps, etc, with ADB:

https://9to5google.com/2017/11/04/how-to-backup-restore-android-device-data-android-basics/

But it may be easier just to reinstall them after the factory reset.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2018, 09:47:05 pm »
The popular custom recoveries (clockworkmod, TWRP) are excellent for making full-system-image backups, but that's more useful before your phone develops gremlins.  Restoring them will just bring everything back, gremlins and all.

Contacts are probably the most important thing to back up, unless you've already given everyone's personal data to Google.  Some apps (eg. K9) let you export their current settings to a file, which is handy.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2018, 10:11:35 pm »
Depends on what apps you are actually using. Most apps can automatically sync to your Google account, so that will back up your data.
eg contacts or calendar or Chrome can do this. Or Google Photos, though it may not store the full resolution (but good enough for most phone cameras).

I only have a few apps that need to be backed up manually. One of them is K9 Mail - if you have multiple accounts, its very handy to backup the settings for them all. Other apps are Work Log and Trainspotter, which are perhaps more niche...
Or any mapping apps, worth backing up any waypoints or tracks that you want to keep.

I'm not bothered about SMS, most messages are transient anyway. And good to have a clear-out every so often. If a particular message is worth keeping, I'd take a copy elsewhere (eg Google Keep).

I think its easiest to create a folder for backups on Google Drive, then copy the important files there. Then you can easily restore it on a new phone.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2018, 01:15:35 am »
Airmore is quite good. But i thought Andriod backs everything up anyways?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2018, 09:25:00 pm »
Backed up the phone, did a factory reset and all gone. 

All the apps gone too.  So reload all the apps and then see if the sms back up has sorted itself out.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2018, 05:24:05 pm »
Ah, the apps won't re appear but have to be reloaded.  But the contacts and texts reappeared after ticking the correct boxes in the sms back up software.

So phone factory reset and now looks like it is faster and working right....

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2018, 08:34:30 am »
easy of course to reload the apps. All your previous ones should appear under "library" in Google play. Then just reload them as you say. Settings will be lost of course. Which is a bit of a drag. Have to do this now and again when OSMand plus misbehaves.