Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252427 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6600 on: 11 July, 2017, 07:58:46 pm »
About 10 on average, down from 15 last year.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6601 on: 28 July, 2017, 09:24:52 am »
I'm shuffling back in here with tail between legs.

Have really let myself go the last two months, gaining nearly 4kg in the process. Didn't dare look at the scales until recently. Back to my highest weight point again earlier this week.

For the sake of my health I have to be back down below 80kg at least. Have started 5:2 again yesterday so we'll see how I get on.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #6602 on: 09 August, 2017, 01:03:27 pm »
MrsC has decreed that 'something must be done' so has signed up for three months of Slimming World on line. This is now non-negotiable!
Does the panel have any comments or suggestions? Particularly to cope with the vast difference in our exercise regimes?

Thanks
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #6603 on: 09 August, 2017, 02:48:26 pm »
Secret stash of peanut butter.

« Reply #6604 on: 09 August, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
That will help me lose weight as it's just about the only foodstuff I don't like.  :-\

Chris S

« Reply #6605 on: 09 August, 2017, 04:40:24 pm »
Well. I'm living proof that five months of the Beer 'n Crisps diet works wonders for making one's entire cycling wardrobe "Too Small".  :hand:

Time I attempted to get a grip.

« Reply #6606 on: 09 August, 2017, 06:36:56 pm »
Holding steady at 79kg. Happy to be anywhere under 80kg, would be happier at 77.5kg.

But I just don’t want to be any more strict that I am at the moment (calorie intake about 2050 / day which is tight enough for someone of my size) and I am looking towards keeping the intake as it is and upping the output a touch.

Keeping off the snacks is the thing.

« Reply #6607 on: 10 August, 2017, 07:01:52 am »
Upping the output - more fibre I take it? :)
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #6608 on: 16 August, 2017, 07:00:32 pm »
MrsC has decreed that 'something must be done' so has signed up for three months of Slimming World on line. This is now non-negotiable!
Does the panel have any comments or suggestions? Particularly to cope with the vast difference in our exercise regimes?
Apparently I am allowed more 'Syns' due to being male which probably means I will be able to cope.
And, if this week is a typical example of the scheme* I will be down to my floor** weight (not target) before Christmas.

* Helly, I do know that won't happen, it will just be the usual beginning of a diet water-loss drop
** Although I got down to my floor, briefly, last time I seriously tried to lose weight I don't think there is any chance of that happening again. This time I would need to lose rather more muscle and I won't let that happen.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6609 on: 17 August, 2017, 11:20:04 am »
Finally it has started to come off: 3.4kg lost this week. Only another 10kg to go to hit the target!  ;D
Embrace your inner Fred.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6610 on: 18 August, 2017, 11:30:33 am »

Thanks

A serious question.  Given that Slimming World and Weight-Watchers are quite similar companies (it's about profit remember) and given that Weight-Watchers has an abysmal long-term success rate, why would you choose this approach?

I've read articles that say WW has a >95% failure rate (you wouldn't fly with Weight-Watcher Airlines right?).  Some people can handle a reduced-calorie regime but, truth be told, you'll be slowing down your metabolism until 1500kcals becomes your base metabolism, not 2200kcals (or whatever).  It's at that point (after 3-6 months of "success") that you're in the shit.  Now you'll plateau, get discouraged and, worst of all, start gaining weight if you eat just 1600kcals a day.

It's just what happens to 95% of people (and this thread documents such long-term failures)

You ask for comments.  I'd recommend looking at the success rates of WW and SW (which involve NEVER using their own marketing stats) and then looking at intermittent fasting, such as 5:2.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6611 on: 18 August, 2017, 12:44:54 pm »
I must be in the 5%. :)
MrsC and I used WW very successfully fourteen years ago. I went from 17 stone to around 11.5. MrsC lost a similar proportion of her body weight. Admittedly she has now put almost all of it back but fourteen years is a long time and she has had other health issues which haven't helped. I'm now just under 14 stone. The times when I have put weight on have all coincided with 'issues' of one sort or another at work (I eat when stressed) so it's been pretty successful overall.
The advantage of something like WW or SW is that it provides a framework; a set of rules to follow which helped us before.
My question was really about managing the difference in appetite and caloric needs between a 5'3" sedentary woman and a 5'11" active man.
Not that I don't have concerns about the diet industry but, at the moment, SW is 'non-negotiable'.

« Reply #6612 on: 18 August, 2017, 04:48:35 pm »
...and the answer to my original query about the size and gender difference is that I am allowed more 'Syns' (really don't like that name) per day which solves my immediate problem.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6613 on: 18 August, 2017, 11:04:06 pm »
...and the answer to my original query about the size and gender difference is that I am allowed more 'Syns' (really don't like that name) per day which solves my immediate problem.

Would they be syns o the flesh?

Yes, that's my coat, the XXXL.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6614 on: 23 August, 2017, 11:14:10 am »
I should probably stop losing weight as I think I've also lost some muscle.  Now need to work on regaining some of that.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6615 on: 23 August, 2017, 11:31:25 am »
I think I should stop posting here and join the Weight Gain Discussion Thread instead :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6616 on: 23 August, 2017, 12:43:59 pm »
I am not weighing myself or trying to lose weight any more.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6617 on: 24 August, 2017, 04:31:29 pm »

...and I bet you lose weight.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6618 on: 24 August, 2017, 04:56:10 pm »

...and I bet you lose weight.

I doubt that.

I suspect I will stabilise around 65kg, which is a little more than I'd like to be but OK really.

« Reply #6619 on: 24 August, 2017, 10:23:56 pm »
Just looking back at the numbers given the comment the other day about keeping weight off - in Jan 14 I weighed 15 st 7 lbs. I'm currently 13 st. At the start of the summer I was 12 st 6 lbs, but had a few bad weeks due to work etc. Now heading back down and aiming for about 12 st by the end of the year.

I'm much happier weighing less, eating less and exercising regularly again. That is hopefully sufficient to help me maintain... having parents who are both overweight, with T2 diabetes and CV challenges, plus dementia in one is also motivational.

Mike

« Reply #6620 on: 03 September, 2017, 03:04:41 pm »
Starting again now that the summer holidays are over. 94.5kg or so right now. *sigh*

I have a few half marathons to do, but I can slog round those whatever my weight. Swim Serpentine 2 mile swim in a fortnight but extra weight doesn't really affect swimming. Must get some cycling goals to aim for (as I find it's a couple of 3 hour rides a week do most for my weight loss). Haven't done a single Audax this year (first time I've had an empty year since 2005) so I may sneak out for a few DIYs later on in the year.

Need to build back up to 10h training a week (running, swimming, cycling and 5-a-side totals).

Main goal is Brighton Marathon in April 2018. I've said that I'll only run if my weight begins with a 7, doing it really is no fun at 90kg+. I should also aim for sub 4h if I get down to under 80kg.

TARGET: get weight down to sub 80kg by April 2018.

32 weeks. 15kg. So 0.5kg a week would get me there in time (with a few weeks spare for Christmas excess) and I've done that kind of sustained weight loss before...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6621 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:25:10 am »
I was also doing quite well till a few weeks ago.  I seem to have racked up another 6kg and would prefer to be closer to 77, so it's back to the weight loss thread for me

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6622 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:58:30 am »
If you can't reduce your weight by 2Kg a year then you may as well just call the whole thing off.
I can reduce my weight by much more than 2kg in a year. but as soon as something goes wrong in my life and stress or misery gets going, I gain it all back, with interest, and much faster than it's lost.

It just doesn't work like that.

I know, trust me on that.  I have a weight loss graph since 1997 that is a pure sine-wave.

The trouble is, with calorie-deficit diets, you suppress your metabolism, slowly and inexorably, until even your reduced calories are enough to maintain it.
Simultaneously your body goes into overtime with "hunger hormones" making you hungrier than you ever were, all day, every day.

That double whammy means that when you increase your calorie intake you pile on weight much quicker (due to your lower calorific needs) and you enter a hormone driven feeding frenzy.  It's not your fault...your hormones changed to make you eat..and eat

It's why Weight-watchers et al have a dismal long-term success rate (despite a good 3-6 month success rate*).
*Success shouldn't be based on 3-6 months.

I recognised this pattern in myself and have done much research into why it happens.  I'm now convinced that Fasting will help me.
I'm one month into it and 8kg down (1st 3lb).

There is so much bullshit talked about "Starvation mode" and "Muscle loss" but that mostly comes from the purveyors of food.  There's no profit in Fasting, it's a zero cost option.

Here's a summary of what I've learned so far:

- Fasting can be done for as long as you like and it has positive benefits over a 7-day reduced calorie regime.  1 day, 2 days a week (5:2), using 600kcals on your Fast days or nothing, even longer.

- It can be seen as a "miracle cure" for many people with Type 2 Diabetes (Where sufferers are propped up on Insulin supplements)

- Consider Type 2 Diabetes.  It's a disease where the patient has become desensitised to Insulin, over long periods of being naturally "flooded" with Insulin to combat a sugary diet.  The "Cure" is to supplement the "flood" of natural insulin with externally administered Insulin.  Does that strike anyone as odd?  A disease of too much Insulin treated with more Insulin?
Fasting turns off (to a large degree) natural Insulin production.  It's not required, there's no sugar coming in (remember that Bread and Pasta = Carbs = Sugar, not just Coke and Mars Bars).
Fasting allows the body to become sensitive to Insulin again.
Anyway, see the Michael Moseley Youtube (and Jason Fung Youtubes) for a full description of why it works and considerations before trying it.

- I don't feel hungry.   Yes, that's weird.   I find that reduced calories or 600kcal Fasting just makes me crave more (there are hormonal reasons remember) so I just don't eat anything on Fasting days.

- I feel more active.  Yes, that's weird.  Reduced calories made me feel cold and lethargic.  There are hormonal reasons why Fasting makes you feel more active (Growth hormone is released, Adrenalin is released, brain activity goes up..etc).

- Think about how we evolved rather than what we've done in the last 100 years (when food became ever more available).  We woke up in a cave, chased a Wildebeest across a plain for a few hours, then ate the f*** out of it when we finally caught it.  We're actually designed to burn fat not carbohydrate.  Carbs are just a short term luxury that (should) come along infrequently, not every 2 hours from the fridge.  When you're low on Wildebeest the body releases hormones to make you think clearer and perform better, in order to catch Wildebeest.  It doesn't slow you down when you haven't eaten Wildebeest for a few days, that would have been species suicide.

- It targets fat.  After the first day of Fasting you've used up your Carbs (Glycogen stores), there's only around 2,500kCals of it in your Liver and blood.  Once Glycogen is gone you enter Ketosis, where fat is metabolised as fuel (any Audax rider should have an efficient Ketosis system because carbs alone don't get you around a 400km ride.  I think Audax riders will find it less "painful" to Fast as their bodies will be used to Ketosis being switched on).

Anything you do from Day 2 onwards is (mostly) Fat-fuelled. 

I'm on another Day 2 right now.  The hunger is gone, I feel fine and I may try 3 or 4 days this time.  I did 3 last week and it was fine.  On the 3rd day I attended a high power Wattbike Class and went for a 30 mile ride.  I felt fine, nothing to worry about, I'm burning fat and I have shit loads left.

The best thing for me is that I don't crave food now and I don't feel cold.  Having zero food triggers the reverse hormonal effect as having reduced food.  Why would I want to eat just a little piece of Cake?  That's like giving up smoking except for one puff on a ciggy ....it's torture.

Caveat.  I'm in the early stages, the easy part.  I've been this weight before (but usually with the help of PBP preparation/qualification regime.  You can eat anything in PBP year and lose weight).  This is the first time I've lost weight so consistently without huge cycling miles.

Anyway I recommend you watch this (especially if Type 2 Diabetes is a concern).  It's a summary by Jason Fung.  There are many more of his lectures to link to.  I find them fascinating and motivational.
We've all been fed such bullshit by the food companies and the diet industry.

Please watch before coming back with comments based on Old-Wives tales though.

>>>>  https://youtu.be/ETkwZIi3R7w  <<<<

Chris S

« Reply #6623 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:09:54 am »
I'm definitely a fan of fasting; it's a natural state that has many benefits; the fact that there are processes that we need for long-term health, that only start after we're fasted for at least 24 hours, says to me it's a state we've evolved to use to our advantage.

Being permanently fed - that's the artificial state our bodies can't handle  :hand:. Don't be afraid of the feast side of the equation though - look up some of Valter Longo's work; some of what happens during a fast (cellular apoptosis, autophagy, increases in HGH) are in preparation for an anticipated end to the fast.

I've read Jason Fung's book on fasting. I find his presentation style irritating, but his writing is persuasive.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6624 on: 05 September, 2017, 12:19:32 pm »
I'm definitely a fan of fasting; it's a natural state that has many benefits; the fact that there are processes that we need for long-term health, that only start after we're fasted for at least 24 hours, says to me it's a state we've evolved to use to our advantage.

Being permanently fed - that's the artificial state our bodies can't handle  :hand:. Don't be afraid of the feast side of the equation though - look up some of Valter Longo's work; some of what happens during a fast (cellular apoptosis, autophagy, increases in HGH) are in preparation for an anticipated end to the fast.

I've read Jason Fung's book on fasting. I find his presentation style irritating, but his writing is persuasive.

Exactly.  We've come to accept that how we behaved in the last 50 years of our millions of years of evolution is "natural" and bought into so many of the food marketing tag-lines ("Breakfast is the most important meal of the day") and oxymoronic advertising ("Healthy Snack").

We're so advanced and yet it always comes as a surprise when we are told that the best food is natural and unprocessed.  No shit Sherlock, you mean it's best that we eat the stuff we evolved to eat in the amounts we evolved to eat it?

Edit... You don't need to worry about me ignoring the feast side of things.. oh no, I most definitely don't ignore that.  It's called the Weekend.