Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2958758 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #20525 on: 12 August, 2017, 02:43:56 pm »
ORANGE: I am abroad.
I want to top up my PAYG phone.
I tried to do this online before I went away. I failed as the site hung at the Verified by Visa stage.
I have successfully topped up David's EE phone online
I will NOT phone you.

The website suggests you have known about this issue for TWO FUCKING WEEKS!
I have had a 'chat' with 'Rachel' who sends me a FUCKING  :) smileyface but cannot address nor acknowledge the issue.

Get your house in order!

Orange? Fat hope. When I sent them a registered letter telling them to cancel our professional Internet connection and replace it with a private one (around 120€/month cheaper but curiously just as fast) they took from December until May to actually read what I'd written instead of acting on what they thought I'd written.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20526 on: 13 August, 2017, 08:01:06 am »
I return to the UK today.

Will top up at ATM. Might find another PAYG suppler...

« Reply #20527 on: 13 August, 2017, 10:38:35 am »
Virgin Atlantic "Flying Club" , won't let me log into my old account (after 5 years no surprise), won't let me set up a new account using the same email address, so I set up a new one with a different address, which they've cancelled.  Chap on the phone say's he's now reactivated it using my correct email address, but nothing works.... :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20528 on: 13 August, 2017, 12:59:32 pm »
I have had an account with a certain well known bank for something approaching 50 years. All of my income and most of my expenses go via this bank. They have just written to me asking for proof of who I am. Is it me?
Is it you? They want to know!
(But second PB's reply)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20529 on: 13 August, 2017, 02:54:44 pm »
Grrr.  Bloody O2. 

I now have a better call plan and a new phone on the O2 network through Carphone Warehouse significantly cheaper than O2 would offer me to retain me as a customer.

What a bunch of tosspots!

« Reply #20530 on: 13 August, 2017, 03:20:23 pm »
SFE's website is notoriously shit while being a lot better than it used to be which is saying something really.

"This service will be unavailable from 4pm to 8pm on Sunday 13 August."

I've got all the paperwork together and have 45 minutes which should be plenty of time to fill in the forms.

So it's now 15:17 which is nowhere near 4pm - where the fuck's the website???
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20531 on: 14 August, 2017, 07:54:50 pm »
People who send you a text document (for editing) as a jpeg. I can't even...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #20532 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:25:38 pm »
People who send you a text document (for editing) as a jpeg. I can't even...

People of Not A Clue.
You are not alone....

« Reply #20533 on: 15 August, 2017, 03:12:41 pm »
Grrr.  Bloody O2. 

I now have a better call plan and a new phone on the O2 network through Carphone Warehouse significantly cheaper than O2 would offer me to retain me as a customer.

What a bunch of tosspots!

O2 still making a crisis out of nothing.   :( >:( :( :( >:( :(

citoyen

« Reply #20534 on: 15 August, 2017, 03:41:28 pm »
Just had another interaction with Student Finance England. They've been pestering me to send them information that I've already sent them.

They could probably help themselves by actually processing the paperwork I've sent them, rather than just leave it sitting in their intray.

As per previous interactions, the chap I spoke to was helpful enough. It was negotiating my way through the obstructive system to actually getting to speak to someone that took another five years off my life.

I need a lie down.

ian

« Reply #20535 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:54:15 pm »
Two and half hours from Paris to London. Pretty cool. Shame the subsequent 20 mile journey through the London suburbs took the same amount of time on a series of filthy trains.

Because Thameslink, stupid fucking train-cancelling crotchmaggots.

« Reply #20536 on: 15 August, 2017, 07:16:09 pm »
There was a derailment this morning - has that got a bearing?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20537 on: 15 August, 2017, 07:48:43 pm »
There was a derailment this morning - has that got a bearing?

AIUI Derailment was at Waterloo.

Eurostar no longer uses Waterloo but goes to St Pancras, which is also occasionally served by Thameslink.

BAAAASTARDS at St Pancras have removed a lift shaft, mandating loooong walk for poor partner yesterday, in search of Met Line train for wheelchaired Helly.

« Reply #20538 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:53:53 pm »
Just had another interaction with Student Finance England. They've been pestering me to send them information that I've already sent them.

They could probably help themselves by actually processing the paperwork I've sent them, rather than just leave it sitting in their intray.

As per previous interactions, the chap I spoke to was helpful enough. It was negotiating my way through the obstructive system to actually getting to speak to someone that took another five years off my life.

I need a lie down.

They are a bunch of criminal loan sharks as far as I can see. If you're not earning anything you have to prove it (prove a negative, that's quite a feat). If they don't like your proof they apply an interest rate of (the completely discredited) RPI, plus 3%. That's 6.1% interest, a rate anyone saving for their retirement would give a limb or two for. THREE TIMES the rate you'd pay on a mortgage.

Shallot No. 3 has been volunteering in Colombia. She sent all the paperwork, issued by the Colombian govt. no less, but according to SLC it's "inadequate" and she is being charged the penalty rate + the monthly rate for the foreign country which is roughly 80% of the average salary for a professional. They won't accept anything by email, despite the fact that everything they receive is scanned and shredded. Have you ever tried to find a post office in Colombia? Supposedly she is supposed to magic up some paperwork that doesn't exist, and UPS it half way round the world, on the off-chance SLC might actually accept it. Or not. Once she finally proves to them she's not earning anything they will stop charging the penalty rate, but they won't refund anything charged in error in the meantime. With a loan shark you'd have some recourse to law, but SLC seem to be able to do what the fuck they like.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20539 on: 16 August, 2017, 11:10:57 am »
20th June: submitted demand to bank for payment of the annuities we've been building up for yonks.
20th July: received acknowledgement and payment advices, 1st instalments due 20th August, backdated to June.
12th August: we each get a letter from the bank: it has come to your attention that you have yet to claim your annuity blah blah, please contact...
Today: contact at bank: ???  Me: :facepalm:

citoyen

« Reply #20540 on: 16 August, 2017, 11:48:44 am »
They are a bunch of criminal loan sharks as far as I can see. If you're not earning anything you have to prove it (prove a negative, that's quite a feat). If they don't like your proof they apply an interest rate of (the completely discredited) RPI, plus 3%. That's 6.1% interest, a rate anyone saving for their retirement would give a limb or two for. THREE TIMES the rate you'd pay on a mortgage.

Is it SFE's fault or the government's? A lot of these decisions seem to me to be directed by current government policy.

When I initially read the blurb about applying for student finance, it mentioned the top figure for the maintenance loan of £8,400, and I assumed that meant you could apply for as much as you wanted up to that maximum figure (which is how it worked in my day). Turns out that they decide how much you're allowed to have and the parents are expected to make up the difference. Which is shite, because if their assessment doesn't match up with what the parents can afford, the student is shafted. And this is the situation we find ourselves in - they've based their assessment on our household income for the 2015-16 tax year, which makes sense, but our circumstances have changed somewhat since then. Hence my ongoing struggle to get them to reassess.

As it stands, the maintenance loan offered will leave him £90 per term after he's paid his rent. Or approximately three pounds a week.  :facepalm:

I'm not too concerned about the interest rate thing though. The amount you pay back is capped at 9% of income, regardless of the amount you owe, and if you haven't paid it off after 30 years, it's written off, so the interest doesn't seem worth worrying about as it's unlikely to make any practical difference to how much you pay back - only the highest earners are likely to pay back the full amount within the 30 years.

« Reply #20541 on: 16 August, 2017, 12:07:07 pm »
Just had to return another pair of Adidas trainers ordered online due to weird sizing. 

I'm a size 9 in "normal" shoes and that works for almost manufacturers.  The First Adidas Boost I bought 2 years ago had to be returned twice until I settled on a size 10 (which was still a fairly snug fit).  The second pair (also a Boost variant) were ordered in a size 9.5 (splitting the difference) and were just about right.

Just received a third pair (ordered in size 9.5) and they are way too big - returned for a 9 but may have to repeat to get an 8.5. So that will be a size 10 / 9.5 / 9-8.5  - all Adidas Boost.

How can a manufacturer have such wide variation in sizing in the same line of product?  Returns are free but it's a pain having to traipse back and forth from the post office.

NB  Post moved here as this is clearly a rant.
The sound of one pannier flapping

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20542 on: 16 August, 2017, 12:48:27 pm »
Beware American shoe sizes! They are easily confused with UK sizes but are different (and women's/men's sizes differ as well) Continental sizes MIGHT be more consistent. Try 43/44...

(FWIW, my size 41/42 feet sometimes fit an English 7½ -8 an American Women's 10-10.5 or Men's 9.5. Sometimes)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20543 on: 16 August, 2017, 12:53:45 pm »
Dear Service Provider,
I DO  NOT WANT ANOTHER FUCKING 'CUSTOMER SATISFACTION SURVEY!
I want to check out of my hotel, fly home, go to a hospital clinic and receive a parcel without being PESTERED!

You see, I want to lead a normal life.
Have a nice day! ;) ;D :sick:

And FUCK OFF!

citoyen

« Reply #20544 on: 16 August, 2017, 12:55:00 pm »
Don't get me started on shoes. I hate buying shoes. I had to buy a pair of shoes for a wedding last week. Luckily, I had my wife with me, so I let her choose something suitable. Job done inside half an hour. It would have taken me all day to find a pair I actually liked otherwise.

As for sizing, I realised when asking to try them on that I had no idea what English size to ask for, so requested a 42, which is what I usually go for in cycling shoes. Luckily, they fit just fine.

Maybe it's an Adidas thing? I bought some Adidas shoes online a few years ago and again ordered a size 42. They were definitely on the snug side.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20545 on: 16 August, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »
I've been wearing adidas Sambas for decades and sizing has remained consistent.  Don't think I've ever bought a pair here in the UK - when I need a new pair I pick them up in the US.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20546 on: 26 August, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »
Pedestrians: is it really that difficult to look before stepping off the pavement, or to take note of your surroundings - like what's on the other side of the road?

Example of the latter, 1: couple leave the Victoria monument in front of Buckingham Palace and only after crossing 3 of 5 lanes realise once they've finished crossing they have to climb over a barrier.  Cue hesitation and unclear direction of movement while they try to figure out what to do, and traffic starts moving.

Example 2:

Accident at Marble Arch yesterday afternoon.  By evening traffic was flowing from the left toward the camera.  But... At the far left of the pedestrian crossing the pavement was closed and some men were busy working on a downed lamp post (?);  at the traffic island in the middle there was police tape across the crossing; on the traffic island on the right the police tape had come down. No tape on your side = cross as usual, obviously.   ::-)  A barrier ahead of them, and vehicles and work crews and more tape beyond that, but people try to cross anyway.

Don't get me started on the Embankment stretch where the pavement has been closed and the cycle lane shifted - obviously the thing to do if you're walking or jogging is to ignore all the warning signs and carry on in the two-way cycle lane with its two blind corners.  >:(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #20547 on: 26 August, 2017, 05:17:13 pm »
I just take the view that some parts of London have a high density of tourists, a lot of them foreign tourists who forget (being human) that things work the other way round here and are liable to step off the pavement without warning. It's no big deal to slow down multiple times along Victoria Embankment, just in case, and to go slower through the closed section.

After all, we need there money to help prop up the economy now the straight banana mob are in the majority.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20548 on: 26 August, 2017, 05:30:56 pm »
Just had to return another pair of Adidas trainers ordered online due to weird sizing. 

I'm a size 9 in "normal" shoes and that works for almost manufacturers.  The First Adidas Boost I bought 2 years ago had to be returned twice until I settled on a size 10 (which was still a fairly snug fit).  The second pair (also a Boost variant) were ordered in a size 9.5 (splitting the difference) and were just about right.

Just received a third pair (ordered in size 9.5) and they are way too big - returned for a 9 but may have to repeat to get an 8.5. So that will be a size 10 / 9.5 / 9-8.5  - all Adidas Boost.

How can a manufacturer have such wide variation in sizing in the same line of product?  Returns are free but it's a pain having to traipse back and forth from the post office.

NB  Post moved here as this is clearly a rant.

A while back I bought a pair of Mavic cycling shoes (French) in size 43 (also French).  They turned out to be really 43.5, which I only found out after wearing them, at which point the vendor refused to change them because I'd worn them.  I suppose 43.5 corresponds to something unFrench. Pandering bastards.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20549 on: 26 August, 2017, 06:02:54 pm »
Someone in an adjacent pitch has had their car engine idling for the last umpty minutes.  I'm suspicious that they're doing this in order to recharge a smartphone.

I'm sure the combined wits of the Mildenhall Rally could rustle up some rollers and a dynamo-equipped bicycle. Or one of the many mains sockets in the village hall, FFS.