Author Topic: Cateye Velo 8 Cycle Computer - any good?  (Read 1294 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
Cateye Velo 8 Cycle Computer - any good?
« on: 29 December, 2009, 08:31:34 pm »
Zoe and Lewis want to spend some of their Christmas money on computers for their Islabikes. A bit of Googling brings up the Cateye Velo 8 Cycle Computer are they any good?

Re: Cateye Velo 8 Cycle Computer - any good?
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2009, 08:35:40 pm »
A few quid more gets you the Enduro 8 which is the only one I have found to be bulletproof.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2009, 09:22:05 pm »
Enduro is essentially the same but has a tougher kit (thicker wires, particularly).  Worth a few quid.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:25:39 pm »
I have several velo 8s and they are generally fine though. I have an enduro 8 on the tandem and my mountain bike, but the velo 8 is really ok :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:31:47 pm »
Seems pretty good.  The only negative is that they stop in the wet.  There was a thread on here about it quite a while back.  The problem is that water pools on the mount and seems to short the connections.  I silicon'd the mount and now it doesn't do it.

Dave

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:34:46 pm »
It's usual the contacts between the computer and the mount that let you down. My last Blackburn had this trouble every time it rained a bit. But the last straw was a recent heavy rain ride which has stopped the buttons from working.
I now have a Cateye Cordless.
Cateyes are usualy pretty good compared to most and a pretty safe bet.
That Velo 8 looks like a good choice, I nearly bought one of those when I bought my cordless.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:36:31 pm »
I used to have a Velo 8, and got bored with the (very occasional) wet weather fails.  They can be avoided by the use of cling film, but I just went for a Cordless instead.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:41:04 pm »
I have a Velo 8 on two bikes & have had no problems with them

« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2009, 10:43:34 pm »
I used to have a Velo 8, and got bored with the (very occasional) wet weather fails.

Same here, useless in heavy rain as they just stop registering the wheel moving. Also solvable with silicone grease but I've never had enough tuits to get around to finding some. Personally I find wireless computers more of a pain in the arse. Still, I use Velo 8 computers on all my bikes and I'm happy with them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2010, 10:15:43 am »
I have read comment of occasional Cateye computer fails.  I have run Mity8 and Enduro 8 models for years now without significant problems.   I do note that the big front button can stick sometimes.   A bit of 'sucking' rectifies this.   You might look slightly weird apparently 'kissing' your bike computer though.   :)

« Reply #10 on: 02 January, 2010, 10:34:05 pm »
You might look slightly weird apparently 'kissing' your bike computer though.   :)

Or they'll think you've done a good ride.