Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 249390 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #975 on: 19 June, 2018, 07:15:56 pm »
Bastards, kill them all Riggers.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #976 on: 20 June, 2018, 12:48:14 pm »
Bastards, kill them all Riggers.

The bastards always flee the scene of the crime unfortunately.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #977 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:03:49 pm »
Urinated on the roses which were showing signs of iron deficiency.

I figured that if there was a trace of iron in urine, this may cure the problem.....Am I misguided ?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #978 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:18:27 am »
Scythed the lawn for the first time with my new blade on a stick and I like it, nice and quiet.

The grass is now drying in the sun, waiting to go on the compost heap.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #979 on: 22 June, 2018, 06:58:41 pm »
Urinated on the roses which were showing signs of iron deficiency.

I figured that if there was a trace of iron in urine, this may cure the problem.....Am I misguided ?

Male urine has some very good hormones for plant growing. My cucumbers and tomatoes seem to like it  :D

For me, just replacing a broken pane in the greenhouse.  The whole frame seems to have twisted.  I'm thinking the ground has moved beneath it due to lack of water, it's not even July and my water butts are almost empty
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #980 on: 24 June, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »

Fed the veg with Ultra Stinky Nettle Soup™

Now watching a herd of Small Whites lay eggs all over the sprouts  >:(

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #981 on: 25 June, 2018, 11:25:30 am »

Fed the veg with Ultra Stinky Nettle Soup™

Now watching a herd of Small Whites lay eggs all over the sprouts  >:(

Looks very picturesque!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #982 on: 02 July, 2018, 06:19:53 pm »
David has planted the rose bush we were given at last night's party.

The garden fork has broken in the process. I thought I'd bough a good quality tool (Stanley IIRC)

I am not impressed.

ElyDave

« Reply #983 on: 08 July, 2018, 12:29:56 pm »
I've broken at least 2 forks in the past, fatigue, abuse, heavy clay soils etc all take their toll.

For me over the last few days, finished trimming next door's leylandii hedge, he's supposedly taking it out but he's not made much progress so far. It'll take me a few rounds of green bin collection to get rid of it all.

Yesterday, repotted two bonsai and mowed the lawn - only a littlle trim as it's not growing quickly at the moment, still needing the sprinkler on the more fragile bits of the new lawn. 

Today,  bit of pruning on the greengage, keeping the structure nice and open.  Thinned/spaced the brocollis and cabbages adn netted them against the butterflies.  In the greenhouse the tomatoes are starting to ripen and both the peppers and cucumbers are really taking off.  Outside is a bit different, lettuces doing well, courgettes starting to pick up, but the relocated raspberries are looking a bit touch and go.  Waterbutts both empty, which is a record this early in the year, I think

« Reply #984 on: 17 July, 2018, 03:09:26 pm »
Lifted the onions to break the roots, and left them on the bed to dry out. Another warm dry week forecast, so should get them started nicely. We coul£ have had our first picking of chard, were it not for the fact we’re eating salads everyday!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #985 on: 26 July, 2018, 06:44:53 am »
Watered
Before that watered
Before that watered
I'll tell you what the difference in quality of compost and water retention is vast. The stuff last year that sieved the water got well mixed with compost I'd made myself. Well the clever worms and bacteria needs watering every three to four days. Some of my pots and raised beds need daily soaking

ElyDave

« Reply #986 on: 01 August, 2018, 01:21:47 pm »
waterin, and more watering. Apart from the lawn which I will now mow.  This morning however I spent chopping back the shrivelled adn brown leaves of a 10ft long bed of Japanese anemone which should be in full bloom right now, and picking up lots of small fallen pears and apples.

Salads doing well, tomatoes nearly finished already and cucumbers adn courgettes starting to produce.  Spotted two cabbage whites underneath my net, ba$tards!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #987 on: 05 August, 2018, 04:54:34 pm »
Dug over and then dug in loads of manure in the area I have identified as where I shall attempt espaliers.  Not sure what I'm going for yet.  Possibly a pear and a plum.  Not sure which ones exactly.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #988 on: 05 August, 2018, 05:32:27 pm »
Also very pleased with this year's hanging baskets.  Constant watering and feeding have led to two veritable giants.

20180805_172028
by Basil W, on Flickr
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #989 on: 06 August, 2018, 08:59:57 pm »
First sweetcorn of the season. Not bad for North Yorkshire.
 These are the super sweet type, grown from seed. They are so easy to grow that they would probably do well as a patio plant.
https://flic.kr/p/29Ndp63

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

ElyDave

« Reply #990 on: 17 August, 2018, 12:43:12 pm »
figs, figs and more figs, it's a bumber year both in size and number this year.  Looks like there may even be a few second crop that reach ripeness if the weather remains warm.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #991 on: 17 August, 2018, 05:46:56 pm »
Our neighbours' first crop figs finished about 3 weeks ago. I presume you are only one degree north of here...

« Reply #992 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:37:22 am »
Pressed more apples for juice last night and pasteurised some first thing this morning.  More to do later.  Thats 27 litres so far and we've not got to the Bramley and Russet crops yet.  I think I'll mix those for a natural cider when we get back from holiday.

Harvesting giant courgette/marrows, and lots of cucumbers and small tomatoes.  We grew a bush tomato variety this year which are rather floppy but otherwise (apart from watering) subject to zero maintenance and provide reasonable yield.  Plenty of spuds but yield down on last year due to the dry weather - although less rotten spuds eaten by sluggery folk.

ElyDave

« Reply #993 on: 21 August, 2018, 11:30:22 am »
Big effort on the veg patch this morning before heading into the office (at home).  Mostly trying to dig up the thistles, roots intact after having pulled up the dead peas and tidied away the netting.

Lots of cucumbers outdoors getting big, the small crystal apple cucumber in the greenhouse is finally fruiting.  Harvested the first of the early sowing radicchio, some chard, courgettes and a few windfall apples, Lady Hollendale. Also planted out a few strawberry runners.  My tomatoes were also a bush variety this year and already mostly done.

ElyDave

« Reply #994 on: 10 September, 2018, 06:44:31 am »
tidied one of the decorative beds, mostly weeding self-seeded things I don't want there, keeping on top of the bindweed and removing the dead trees that I thought were a long-shot to take in the first place. 

The patch has a backdrop of a nice conifer and maple, and I'm using it as a sort of Japanese influenced bed to keep and maintain bonsai stock.   Yesterday I also planted out into there a small shrubby thing wth red summer flowers to give a bit of alternative colour to the backdrop, some harts tongue and Japanese painted ferns and moved some self-sown verbena to form a screen and movement against the fence that forms the the other side of this. 

Also created two new bonsai, winter jasmine, took a load of cuttings of that, some verbena cuttings and some root cuttings from the sea-kale.

« Reply #995 on: 17 September, 2018, 11:11:54 pm »
 Harvested this lot a few weeks ago and have just finished topping and tailing them.
I had sets and home grown seedlings side by side. The seeds produced bigger bulbs and grew on for longer.
Beginners luck as I have never grown onions before .My allotment gets twice the amount of sunshine compared with the house garden.
it's heavy soil and these took a lot of watering.

Picked these this weekend.

Also started the winter digging as I am expanding the allotment and need to get it dug over before it gets wet.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #996 on: 19 September, 2018, 07:18:43 pm »
Nice.

Chopped the long stems off the Jerusalem Artichokes coz we're in for a bit of blustery weather.

ElyDave

« Reply #997 on: 20 September, 2018, 07:09:51 am »
Good crop MC, my butternut squashes have produced lots of greenery but no fruit this year. Courgettes have been poor as well. 

ElyDave

« Reply #998 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:24:38 pm »
Two bonsai repotted.  One is only into a temporary pot - three trees to shuffle pots.

The other one is a Japanese black pine, grown from seed in 1997, into a bonsai pot for the first time.  Still got a lot of styling to do though

« Reply #999 on: 21 October, 2018, 02:58:16 pm »
Removed the last of the outdoor tomatoes. Planted out 12 purple sprouting broccoli, 24 leeks and 24 kale plants. We only have 5 small raised beds, so any planting is in small quantities.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)