Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 256044 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1425 on: 27 April, 2022, 11:53:04 am »
I have just taken delivery of seeds to sow and grow wild flowers.
I was quite taken with the 'meadow' look in the Olympic stadium.
And they'll attract the bees.
Which we know to be A Good Thing.
And I won't have to cut my patchy grass.
My garden is approximately 20 sq. metres in size.
There was a typo on the website.
They'd dropped an '0'.
I now have sufficient wildflower seeds for a garden that is 200 sq. metres in size. :facepalm:

« Reply #1426 on: 27 April, 2022, 12:59:41 pm »
I have planted some climbing plants at the base of my new fence/trellis.
A couple of Clematis, a Jasmine and a Honeysuckle.
I know nothing about gardening.
Is it ok/recommended to water these every day in the absence of rain?

Any newly planted plants should be watered frequently. It's too late for the microryzal fungus, but I'd recomment either some clematis food, or good old blood, fish and bone around the plants, then some mulch/compost on top. 

We've had so little rain recently we have 1" cracks in the clay in the (very small) front garden. I've had the sprinkler on the back already this year, and I'll do it again on Friday.

On the "I know nothing about gardening" - check what "group" your clematis belong to. They'll probably be group 3, in whuch case you chop them down to about a foot above the ground in Feb. Jasmine and honeysuckle can be left.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1427 on: 27 April, 2022, 01:29:27 pm »

Any newly planted plants should be watered frequently. It's too late for the microryzal fungus, but I'd recomment either some clematis food, or good old blood, fish and bone around the plants, then some mulch/compost on top. 

We've had so little rain recently we have 1" cracks in the clay in the (very small) front garden. I've had the sprinkler on the back already this year, and I'll do it again on Friday.

On the "I know nothing about gardening" - check what "group" your clematis belong to. They'll probably be group 3, in whuch case you chop them down to about a foot above the ground in Feb. Jasmine and honeysuckle can be left.
Thanks for that. I'll attend to that this weekend.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1428 on: 27 April, 2022, 04:38:06 pm »
I put some of that fungus stuff in (Rootgrow) when I planted my Christmas box last year and when I planted the spiky Pyracantha last week.

@Jurek maybe while you're out for a walk you should sprinkle some of your exceed seed (fnarr) in any roadside grass verges etc.

I am wondering if the snakes head fritillaries I planted in our no mow area will have flowers when we get home this weekend.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1429 on: 27 April, 2022, 07:50:36 pm »

Thanks for that. I'll attend to that this weekend.
Group 1.
And the instruction is to chop them down, as you say.
Ta.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1430 on: 28 April, 2022, 06:30:54 am »

Similarly dry here, with cracks already appearing. I had the sprinkler on the soft fruit bed at the weekend, and anticipate using on the veg beds this weekend as I plan to plant stuff out from the greenhouse
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1431 on: 29 April, 2022, 12:23:19 pm »
More of a what I haven't done. It's no mow may next month but as I think my lawn got one cut around August last year its not a common occurance

Near the hedge is beautiful verdant grass with green alkanet in, yes it spreads loads but the bees love it

As you edge further from the hedge it tapers down to basically bald and worn out as that's the bit the kids and dog charge up and down

Will probably need to scythe it down when I eventually cut it especially as only have a crap push mower. Am actually tempted to try and transplant some of the good growth to worn out bits

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1432 on: 30 April, 2022, 04:48:25 pm »
Repotted a geranium which has been needing it for some time.
I dug up half of this bed, from the RHS along to the lavender and stuck soil improver, grit and bark chips in there.
2022-04-30_04-40-10 by The Pingus, on Flickr
No idea what I'm supposed to do with all the clay I'm digging out, it's currently in a heap at the end of the garden. I replanted the semi dead sage (which seems to have started regrowing after a couple of weeks in pots) and also planted the lavender I moved from the previous Pingu Towers.
At that point Pingu decided to come and start farting about with the pond which cut off my access and egress to that bed so I stopped doing that and helped him instead.

« Reply #1433 on: 30 April, 2022, 09:05:21 pm »
I mowed my lawn today in preparation for No Mow May.

« Reply #1434 on: 01 May, 2022, 12:26:07 pm »
Got grumpy

Family trip to allotment, apart from the part with stuff already in which has been watered I could barely get a fork in so soaked a good amount of it for another attempt tomorrow

« Reply #1435 on: 01 May, 2022, 12:32:21 pm »
Planted a third lot of dwarf beans yesterday and cleared some broccoli that had white fly to make a bean trench with cardboard and hoss muck for runners.
Also planted more lettuce out.
Today I have planted rocket plants out. The variety is‘Wasabi’ and it certainly lives up to it’s name!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1436 on: 01 May, 2022, 02:30:35 pm »
I got the brassica net up, and planted ten each of bought cauliflower and sprout plants to go with the cabbages.
Watering, watering and more watering.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1437 on: 05 May, 2022, 08:11:49 am »
Have booked the association rotovator for Saturday morning. Need to be shown how to use it which I'm fine with. Last one I used was years back and ancient.

That with the fact it actually rained yesterday gives me a fighting chance of getting the plot sorted

« Reply #1438 on: 07 May, 2022, 12:21:12 pm »
Up the plot early this morning to dig out as many weeds and as much grass as possible before my my hire of the rotovator. The difference in the bits of plot I had covered with cardboard and put manure onto to that which was just bare soil was incredible.
Does make me think of going no dig especially after seeing how dry and dusty the plot was when finished

F(artichokes) coming through and can now get sowing direct. Beans, courgettes, squashes, sprouts and tomatoes seedlings doing well on window ledge and in coldframe

Just hope we get some rain

« Reply #1439 on: 07 May, 2022, 01:12:23 pm »
Planted out the sweetcorn  and the Big Boy outdoor tomatoes. Then planted a batch of dwarf beans in pots in the greenhouse. Could sow direct but experience has shown pots work better, and we don’t have that much room so are not sowing loads. Also planted out the last of the sweet peas. Gave the two roses near the house (Maid of Kent and Gloire de Dijon) a good soaking with the hose, as they are in a thin border that doesn’t get much rain.

« Reply #1440 on: 07 May, 2022, 05:07:03 pm »
Removed loads of bindweed and other nasties from a bed in preparation for moving some autumn raspberries.
The actual moving will have to wait until tomorrow.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1441 on: 09 May, 2022, 10:09:06 pm »
I mowed my lawn today in preparation for No Mow May.
Our lawn has not been mowed at all this year. It is only now thinking about growing. I suspect not much will have happened by the end of the month.

My garden plans are mostly on hold, waiting for the new fence to be installed. Once that's been done I've got lots of clay to dig up. Then when I've done that I can start planting stuff....

« Reply #1442 on: 10 May, 2022, 07:27:08 am »
Another trip to the allotment shed yesterday to check on the progress of the Robin chicks.
More watering.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1443 on: 10 May, 2022, 06:19:48 pm »
Aw.

« Reply #1444 on: 10 May, 2022, 07:12:13 pm »
We noticed black birds taking nest material into our ivy. Unfortunately so did a magpie. There is 32mm chicken wire round the ivy from a few years ago when our neighbours cat tried to get into it

I moved the seedlings off our window ledge and into the cold frame as weather looks suitably mild and we needed the space. Annoyingly we have a dirth of suitable ledges in our house

« Reply #1445 on: 13 May, 2022, 09:00:50 pm »
planted a couple of home sown Tomato plants and 3 courgette plants that were gifted in the G'house border. I was also gifted some R bean plants which have been planted outside. I will plant out 3 more Tomatoes in my back garden tomorrow when it is less windy.

« Reply #1446 on: 14 May, 2022, 11:43:20 am »
Cut (FCVO cut) the lawn (FCVO lawn). Whilst doing so on this glorious still, sunny, warm and relatively quiet morning, I was taken with the flowering of our Arbutilon. It really is glorious this year.

Arbutilon by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1447 on: 14 May, 2022, 03:09:09 pm »
I had a play with the Japanese grass hook that nice Jurek sent me. Still got all my fingers.
I dug up the other half of this herb bed to improve the soil. Ruddy hard work but it smelled great. Stopped when I hit solid clay, not much I can do about that.
2022-05-14_03-03-54 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Then I took some cuttings, a bit new for me. No idea if it will work...
2022-05-14_03-00-17 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #1448 on: 14 May, 2022, 07:17:13 pm »
We have two major gardening projects this year. Today has seen progress on both and completion on one.
A couple of years ago, in the first lockdown, we had the end of our patio reworked. In the process we discovered that a cherry tree just above the far end of said patio was rotten, so had to come out. Today it was replaced with a very small Bramley apple. As MrsC commented, we are most unlikely to actually see it fully grown, but still worth doing.
The other project involves turning a raspberry and bindweed thicket into an ornamental border. We do like the raspberries, which are an autumn variety, so I have moved some of them to another bed which was mostly empty.
I am now knackered and need to find some beer in the not too distant future.  :)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1449 on: 15 May, 2022, 05:41:41 pm »
Not exactly the plot, or gardening, but yesterday I was finally allocated a peat bank.

Up on a section of moor where people have been cutting for centuries. Not so many now though.

The Grazing Clerk took me round and picked out a suggested bank. It hasn't been cut for a few years, so he said I'd need to take the face back at least one spade-width and recommended paying for someone with a digger to do it.

Once dried, the peat is as hard as coal, so I thought the digging would be really hard, and the turfing, through heather, also difficult.

Went back later with a (sharpened) spade. Spade cut through turf and soil like a hot knife through butter. So I cut back 8m of bank, then cut peats from those. About an hour's work, the peats will be enough for nearly a month in winter.

My back is reminding me that I'm not 20 anymore though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>