Author Topic: This is what radio is four  (Read 1560 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
This is what radio is four
« on: 26 October, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »
I read about this program, and knowing little about Peggy Seeger it still sounded interesting, and it is. It's just the most amazing conversation between two women, one describing her life. The only thing wrong with it is it's too short, by several hours.

The American folk singer Peggy Seeger tells Sara Parker about her loves, losses and a life full of music, as she returns to live once again in Britain. (link to iplayer)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Re: This is what radio is four
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2010, 09:20:14 pm »
I listened to that the other afternoon.  Very very good.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2018, 06:57:32 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09l0ds8 

Angstrom - a sort of scandi-noir spoof. You don't need experience of scandi-noir, but you have to like lines like:

"I need to brood ... this window isn't going to look out of itself."

(and  Kevin Eldon is in it - no idea why he's not in the cast list below  ??? )

The Man Who Wasn't Dead
Angstrom, Series 1 Episode 1 of 4

Matthew Holness stars as Knut Ångström, a brooding, alcoholic, maverick Swedish detective from the tough streets of Oslo, in a Scandinavian detective yarn adapted from the bestselling Ångström trilogy by Martin English (writing as Bjorgen Swedenssonsson).

Following the death of his wife, Ångström is posted to the Njalsland peninsula where he becomes embroiled in a labyrinthine murder (or possibly not-murder) case which bears an eerie similarity to the Askeladden killings - a case from his distant past.

In episode 1, a body goes missing from a crime scene. But was it ever even there in the first place?

A new comedy series by writers of the Ladybird Books for Grown Ups, Charlie Brooker's ...Wipe, That Mitchell and Webb Look and A Touch of Cloth.

Written by Joel Morris and Jason Hazeley
Cast: Matthew Holness, Nadia Kamil, Simon Kane, Morgana Robinson, David Reed, Freya Parker.
Production Co-ordinator: Tamara Shilham
Produced by Lyndsay Fenner
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:48:46 am »
Did you see the recent 'No. 9' with Kevin Eldon in. Nicely worked comedic spoof of Shakespeare's 'Comedy of Errors', and this series is a great vehicle to see some great actors, not necessarily playing cameo roles, but bolstering the episode with sound building blocks of . . . er, acting.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2018, 12:30:43 pm »
Yes, No9 has been consistently good. I did actually shed a manly tear at one point in the comics reunion Ep (no spoilers here!).

There hasn't been a single genius episode yet - I'm more sitting back admiring it all most of the time, though they all have good moments. Series 1 had that amazing (almost) silent comedy with the burglars, just amazing. I forget the others right now. I hope they repeat them all one day.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2018, 09:47:27 am »
Yes, the combination of pathos & comedy in the Comics Reunion (Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room – I looked it up!) was was beautifully measured.

I too remember the burglars episode, which I guess has a huge 'nod' to early slapstick, and what also strikes about some of these, is the seeming adaptability of to the stage.

Loved also, the previous episode 'Once Removed', which had the lovely Emilia Fox in!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex