Author Topic: Audax Google Calendar  (Read 12793 times)

Re: Audax Google Calendar
« Reply #25 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:10:22 pm »
ta.

But I guess that's a one off import, not something that keeps itself up to date with changes?

If you import again a week later from a fresh download does it duplicate, or just make changes?

I dunno, sorry, but how often does the AUK calendar actually change?  :o

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 03 March, 2011, 12:21:28 am »
It changes quite rapidly just before each Arrivée deadline (but that's mainly new events that are a long way in the future).

It then changes sporadically as events are moved/amended/cancelled. There seem to be several each season.

(So you might save yourself from entering a cancelled event - think of all those rare, hard-to-find C5 envelopes!)

There was a 600 in (I think) 2009 where the start location was moved after at least one YACF rider had booked a B&B - not a cheap mistake.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 03 March, 2011, 12:27:19 am »
It changes quite rapidly just before each Arrivée deadline (but that's mainly new events that are a long way in the future).

So adding this ics to outlook will add a calendar,  but following the change to add future events if I re-add do I get duplication of existing events or not?

« Reply #28 on: 03 March, 2011, 02:43:51 am »

So adding this ics to outlook will add a calendar,  but following the change to add future events if I re-add do I get duplication of existing events or not?

I presume you can just delete the audax uk calendar from your outlook and import the new one.

« Reply #29 on: 21 May, 2011, 03:27:40 pm »
The scraper for this has been failing for a bit due to a start time of 9::00. I've just hacked it to get around it.

Sorry about that!

Cheers,

Duncan

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #30 on: 30 May, 2011, 04:04:22 pm »
only just discovered this

Great job, many thanks!  :thumbsup:
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #31 on: 14 June, 2011, 02:46:20 pm »
It's not like I do loads of audaces or anything, but I think this is great and makes looking up rides really easy and integrated with my google calendar which I use for everything. So thanks Duncan.

« Reply #32 on: 04 March, 2012, 06:51:50 pm »
Any chance this could be resurrected?  From a quick comparison doesn't look like it's updated in a fair while, and would be pretty useful...

Cheers!

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #33 on: 22 March, 2012, 03:51:53 pm »
It's still showing some rides, but is missing plenty as well. I guess another parsing glitch on the scraper, or something.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 10 February, 2013, 02:56:15 pm »
BUMP!

Is this thing still current?

(This is the year I get organised. For certain. Probably. Maybe ....

Some way of integrating calendars from AUK + other stuff I do might be a start. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #35 on: 11 February, 2013, 03:58:54 pm »
Yes, it still exists and very handy too. I have been getting duplicate (and quadriplicate) events but no other problems as far as I can remember.
Anyone who wants to know how to access this in Google Calendar give me a shout or reply to this thread.

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: 11 February, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »
I just tried the HTML link in the original posting, and I too get at least two, sometimes more, listings of each event.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 11 February, 2013, 04:32:45 pm »
HTML version and the ICS give duplicates.

Our event on Apr 21st is missing :(

[Sorry to moan!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #38 on: 30 November, 2017, 07:31:47 am »
I've just noticed that the AUK web calendar now offers an .xls or .csv download (maybe it has done for ages).

I downloaded the file, re-arranged and formatted it according to the instructions here: https://n8henrie.com/2013/05/spreadsheet-to-calendar/#Formatting, imported it to Google Cal and now it's available as an .ics file, here: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/knpb53dru2glvif2b08q0gsqeo%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
or simply as a public google calendar, here: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=knpb53dru2glvif2b08q0gsqeo%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe%2FLondon , which you can add to your google cal account.

It won't update any event details if they are changed on the AUK site from now on. This would need to be done manually (& I'm open to amendment requests).
And I make no guarantee of the accuracy of the event details. For example, for Arrow events, where there is no set start time, I have had to put in a start time just to make it work. Each event on this calendar should have a valid hyperlink to the AUK event page within its details, so you can easily click through to check that all is as you expect.

AUK's online calendar works pretty well and is very smooth nowadays, and of course you can very usefully filter your search... but sometimes you just want to be able to see the rides via your phone app easily too.
Ideally I would make different google cals for the different regions, or for different ride lengths (eg one cal for 200s and shorter, another for anything longer than a 200). But for now it's just all in one big thing (286 events).

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #39 on: 30 November, 2017, 07:45:10 am »
Some combination of Duncan's Python scraper code and an automated script that checks for changes and new events would be ideal here.
I haven't looked at how Duncan has written his app, however.

But I did look at how the event information is structured on the AUK calendar page: like this, for example:

Code: [Select]
<b class="navy"> 200km       08:00 from Prees Heath, nr Whitchurch     St Lucy's Brevet</b>
ie it's not really structured at all. It would be fab if the code that generates the calendar could be amended to mark this up semantically with microformats or schema.org structures ... could be a lot easier to scrape...

but of course I know it's fine as it is and it's all done by already very busy volunteers. So I'm not complaining... just wishing.

« Reply #40 on: 30 November, 2017, 08:04:49 am »
... could be a lot easier to scrape...

But why would we want to do that?  If I want the most up-to-date version of the Audax Calendar of events, wouldn't I just go to www.aukweb.net?  Or does this Google Calendar give us a broader reach to those who have never heard of Audax UK?

I Googled "Winter Solstice Audax ride" and got a direct link to the aukweb Calendar page.  Is that what this is all about?

« Reply #41 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:39:25 am »
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it is more about making it easier for people who use google calendar or similar to arrange their lives.

I have all my dates for birthdays, holidays, various clubs events all keyed to a google calendar. I have to trawl through the AUK calendar, identify the rides I want to do that fit in around pre-existing commitments and then key them to my google calendar otherwise I end up realising there is a ride I want to do but have missed the entry date.

I guess something like this aims to automate the process of synchronising an individual's calendar with the AUK calendar which removes the need to key from one to the other. My issue would be that my calendar (which is already a busy space) would then have loads of information about rides that I have absolutely no intention of riding.

Now if someone could create a button on the AUK "My Calendar" page that would import all the rides that I was interested or had entered into my google calendar then I would find that very appealing
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #42 on: 30 November, 2017, 02:44:05 pm »
I've just noticed that the AUK web calendar now offers an .xls or .csv download (maybe it has done for ages).

I downloaded the file, re-arranged and formatted it according to the instructions here: https://n8henrie.com/2013/05/spreadsheet-to-calendar/#Formatting, imported it to Google Cal and now it's available as an .ics file, here: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/knpb53dru2glvif2b08q0gsqeo%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
or simply as a public google calendar, here: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=knpb53dru2glvif2b08q0gsqeo%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe%2FLondon , which you can add to your google cal account.

It won't update any event details if they are changed on the AUK site from now on. This would need to be done manually (& I'm open to amendment requests).
And I make no guarantee of the accuracy of the event details. For example, for Arrow events, where there is no set start time, I have had to put in a start time just to make it work. Each event on this calendar should have a valid hyperlink to the AUK event page within its details, so you can easily click through to check that all is as you expect.

AUK's online calendar works pretty well and is very smooth nowadays, and of course you can very usefully filter your search... but sometimes you just want to be able to see the rides via your phone app easily too.
Ideally I would make different google cals for the different regions, or for different ride lengths (eg one cal for 200s and shorter, another for anything longer than a 200). But for now it's just all in one big thing (286 events).

Many thanks for this  :thumbsup: I tried with the CSV export myself but was unable to get it to import even when I formatted it as per Googles instructions, suspect I was missing something vital :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #43 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:06:49 pm »
Now if someone could create a button on the AUK "My Calendar" page that would import all the rides that I was interested or had entered into my google calendar then I would find that very appealing
That's what we really need. Not as an import, but a personalised calendar feed - so that, if you add an event to My Calendar on the Audax UK site, it gets added automatically into your Google calendar, any changes of event detail get updated too, and so on.

Of course, as others have said, it's all volunteers, who probably have better things to do :)

« Reply #44 on: 01 December, 2017, 11:51:16 am »
That's what we really need. Not as an import, but a personalised calendar feed - so that, if you add an event to My Calendar on the Audax UK site, it gets added automatically into your Google calendar, any changes of event detail get updated too, and so on.

Of course, as others have said, it's all volunteers, who probably have better things to do :)

Ah, now I understand that and yes, I can see that this would be useful

« Reply #45 on: 02 December, 2017, 11:21:34 am »
I presume all these calendar events are stored in a database behind the scenes of the AUK site so whoever has the keys to that could engineer something to output xml or json or whatever Google Calendar desires, right?
Then you don't have to worry so much about dodgy data or changes in formatting on the site as you're not doing webpage scrapes. What does it run on anyway? I presume there's not some lovely API behind the scenes we can write our own tools to query?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #46 on: 02 December, 2017, 01:18:42 pm »
Yes, a filterable json object could be made available.  Subject to possible copyright concerns.

Ironically I suspect this sort of thing is more likely to happen while volunteers are still involved.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll