Author Topic: Mrs Browns Boys  (Read 8206 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Mrs Browns Boys
« Reply #25 on: 12 January, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
However..

A Saturday night live episode of Mrs Brown's Boys was watched by more than 11 million viewers last year. The sitcom was also voted the most popular of the 21st century in a Radio Times poll.

That figures.  Trump, Brexit and now this.  Voting shouldn't be allowed.

Given that the 21st century is barely 16 years old, it seems a little premature to be declaring anything the "most popular" of the century.  It's like all these polls that declare something to be the greatest "of all time". Trouble is, time hasn't finished yet.

If Mrs Brown's Boys is the best we'll see this century, I feel sorry for my son and any offspring he may have. It'll be a very unfunny world.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »
Reputedly he'd been doing the character for years with no success until standards got so very, very low that he was signed up for a series.

If you like the concept of a man dressed as a granny and swearing a lot, it's funny.  Otherwise, it's not, because that's all there actually is to it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:30:51 pm »
If you like the concept of a man dressed as a granny and swearing a lot, it's funny.  Otherwise, it's not, because that's all there actually is to it.

Isn't just a little dated, considering how long ago it was that the likes of Monty Python, Dick Emery (stop sniggering at the back, 'Zilla!), the Two Ronnies, Les Dawson et al* were doing that sort of thing?

* For some reason, I keep thinking that Windsor Davies did it as well, but I must be confusing him with someone else...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:32:31 pm »
Is it a man  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

spindrift

« Reply #29 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:01:29 pm »
Monty Python, Dick Emery, the Two Ronnies, Les Dawson

They all objectified women in a way Mrs Brown doesn't. In 70s comedy women were either dragons or sex pots to be grabbed and pawed, Mrs Brown is a loving matriarch who doles out mawkish sentimental homilies. I don't watch it because I'd rather have cat Aids but it's not sexist like those programmes were.

Redlight

« Reply #30 on: 16 January, 2017, 08:42:33 am »
I don't watch it because I'd rather have cat Aids

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #31 on: 26 December, 2017, 08:31:28 pm »
Well Mrs Brown's Boys was the most watched show on Xmas. 1 in 3 people watching telly, watched it.  I have never watched more than a minute of it, and didn't know of anyone who has watched it. I asked around and finally one of my friends admitted to having seen an episode.

"As part of an Irish family, I have indeed watched Mrs Brown's boys. We were all made to sit down and watch the Christmas special a few years ago. I think it's actually only A's sister who likes it and everyone else hates it. I have to say though that a lot of it is very true to Irish life - especially the way people walk randomly into each others houses, talk a load of shite and then leave. Some of A's family's friends could literally be in a Mrs Brown's boys script.

I can confirm that we both loathe it. I had no idea it was so popular over here, particularly as nobody in Britain would understand half the jokes."

However this still doesn't explain why it's popular.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:05:28 am »
It would be interesting to see a geo breakdown of the figures. There are enough TVs in Ireland to make up that number.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:15:04 am »
I'm baffled as to how this subject can be construed as either Art or Entertainment.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 27 December, 2017, 10:11:00 am »
We retuned Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s distascope and digibox over Christmas.  He's got more than a hundred TV channels; back when Morecambe & Wise were pulling in twenty million punters there were three.  I don't know whether to be amazed or appalled at this year's numbers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Redlight

« Reply #35 on: 28 December, 2017, 10:55:21 pm »
We watched It's a Wonderful Life. 

Again.

Despite having it on DVD

And several of us were still crying at the end.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 29 December, 2017, 08:42:29 am »
We retuned Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s distascope and digibox over Christmas.  He's got more than a hundred TV channels; back when Morecambe & Wise were pulling in twenty million punters there were three.  I don't know whether to be amazed or appalled at this year's numbers.
And we used one of those ulti-zillion channels to watch a programme about...

...Morecambe and Wise!
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 29 December, 2017, 11:46:09 am »
Disappointingly, I couldn't find "The Great Escape" on any terrestrial channel this Christmas.  Standards are definitely slipping.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 29 December, 2017, 01:01:56 pm »
Must be a malfunction

Or a glitch in the matrix.
Getting there...

« Reply #39 on: 29 December, 2017, 02:03:45 pm »
Comedy seems to have replaced music as a sort of communion of identity.  it wouldn't occur to me to watch Mr's Brown's boys, as it doesn't speak of any culture I identify with.

I used to quite enjoy standup comedy, but instead of observing the culture, it's become the culture. An abrasive, urban-centred sneer.

So it's bit surprising that they made 'Detectorists', there's still hope.

spindrift

« Reply #40 on: 29 December, 2017, 02:08:22 pm »
We watched It's a Wonderful Life. 

Again.

Despite having it on DVD

And several of us were still crying at the end.

The bit where Donna Reed is so grievously effected by being husband-less she needs glasses?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #41 on: 29 December, 2017, 02:35:14 pm »
Disappointingly, I couldn't find "The Great Escape" on any terrestrial channel this Christmas.  Standards are definitely slipping.

But happily, "The Dam Busters" has been on.

Official, Ministry of Aircraft Production: You say you need a Wellington Bomber for test drops. They're worth their weight in gold. Do you really think the authorities will lend you one? What possible argument could I put forward to get you a Wellington?

Doctor B. N. Wallis, C.B.E., F.R.S.: Well, if you told them I designed it, do you think that might help?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #42 on: 17 January, 2018, 01:52:27 pm »
It's not highly intellectual, no, but everything doesn't have to contain cutting insights into the current political situation. Sometimes it's OK to laugh at a man in a dress straddling a Christmas tree.

Agreed.  The programme makes me titter. 

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #43 on: 18 January, 2018, 12:40:37 pm »

But happily, "The Dam Busters" has been on.

Official, Ministry of Aircraft Production: You say you need a Wellington Bomber for test drops. They're worth their weight in gold. Do you really think the authorities will lend you one? What possible argument could I put forward to get you a Wellington?

Doctor B. N. Wallis, C.B.E., F.R.S.: Well, if you told them I designed it, do you think that might help?

That's one of the best lines in any film.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #44 on: 18 January, 2018, 10:12:59 pm »
Re Brown. I think it's shite.

There are many reasons for that opinion, but the main one is that it is shite.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #45 on: 18 January, 2018, 11:43:13 pm »

Same as all the other reasons then.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #46 on: 19 January, 2018, 08:29:51 am »

Same as all the other reasons then.

Yes it's fucking terrible but there are endless alternatives (including the off switch). Don't watch it if you don't like it. 

Leave it for the people who like it. You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #47 on: 19 January, 2018, 08:36:52 am »
Yes it's fucking terrible but there are endless alternatives (including the off switch). Don't watch it if you don't like it. 

Such sage advice, and here we all were, watching it. 

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #48 on: 19 January, 2018, 09:07:39 am »
No. No I'm not...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #49 on: 19 January, 2018, 12:03:06 pm »
No. No I'm not...

Lies.

Historian 1: "You see that Mrs Brown?"
Historian 2: "I am aware of her, yes"
Historian 1: "That's your mum that is. You love her"