Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283687 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #2275 on: 16 July, 2017, 05:47:53 pm »
Yes, in that one short appearance, she does look promising, but it's hard to tell with so little to go on !

I've only seen her in the recent St Trinian's Film, as the somewhat zoned out receptionist, Beverly, which wasn't a part that needed an extensive degree of portrayal !

I don't think she figured anywhere in anyone's list of possible candidates.

... and she's still not ginger. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2276 on: 16 July, 2017, 06:57:51 pm »
My enthusiastic Whovian friend who watched Broadchurch said he reckons she's going to be good. (Assuming they do a decent job on the scripts obviously...thumbs crossed.) New showrunner also did Broadchurch so hopefully that bodes well for them working together.

I am very (very very) excited! I may have done a swear in front of Small L when I saw the reveal  ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2277 on: 16 July, 2017, 08:14:38 pm »
She was good in Attack the Block.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2278 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:32:26 pm »
I thought she was dead good in Broadchurch.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2279 on: 17 July, 2017, 06:15:05 am »
Damn.

I was hoping it would be Warwick Davies.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2280 on: 17 July, 2017, 08:51:11 am »
Boys, I stopped watching Doctor Who after my early teens. I hope that helps!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #2281 on: 17 July, 2017, 09:11:02 am »
I've not watched Dr Who since sometime around 1976. I am however quite shocked at the recent news...

A Time Lord Lady. Hmpf...

;D
Steady at 15

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2282 on: 17 July, 2017, 09:19:30 am »
Doctor Who is for kids* and this may help break down stereotypes at an early age.  If she's gay even better.

*And also for people who get easily wound up when they are reminded they take childrens' programs too seriously.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2283 on: 17 July, 2017, 12:38:20 pm »
I am looking forward to the new Yorkshire Doctor walking through the TARDIS, turning lights off and muttering "it's like Blackpool illuminations in here."
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

spindrift

« Reply #2284 on: 17 July, 2017, 12:43:21 pm »
I've not watched Dr Who since sometime around 1976. I am however quite shocked at the recent news...

A Time Lord Lady. Hmpf...

;D

There have been a few Time Lords who were ladies. Two, I think.

« Reply #2285 on: 17 July, 2017, 01:12:33 pm »

There have been a few Time Lords who were ladies. Two, I think.

Time Lady Romana, played by two different actresses, and The Master as Missy, in the recent series are the most obvious two.

There was also the Corsair, who has also been referred to multiple times as being both male and female, although (s)he doesn't make an appearance (possibly excepting Auntie's forearm in The Doctor's Wife, which is alluded to as being the Corsair's).

A number of unnamed Time Ladies also appear, in various episodes.

Googling also says:

Rodan, Darkel, and The Rani.

... oh, and the Doctor himself has been female before, during Comic Relief, portrayed by Joanna Lumley.

... oh, oh, oh, do Doctor Donna or River Song count?  They're both part Time Lord (Lady), aren't they?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2286 on: 17 July, 2017, 02:32:52 pm »
Ohgod.  I go away for the weekend to the land of no bandwidth, and see a few tweets making bizarre references to bras in the TARDIS.  Now the internet has imploded.  More than usual, I mean.

Is it really that big a deal?[1]

I remember the fuss before Star Trek: Voyager came out.  Everyone was all worked up about there being a female captain.  Then it finally came out and we quickly realised that Janeway was literally the least annoying thing about it.

[1] A question you really shouldn't ask in relation to Doctor Who.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2287 on: 18 July, 2017, 07:02:48 am »
One of my friends (who stopped watching after Peter Davidson) is complaining that the BBC is flogging a dead horse and ripping up the "rule book" and ignoring 50 years of lore by now having  a female Dr....

This coming from someone who plays Warhammer, which regularly rewrites the rules so they ensure players have to buy new minature models to paint in new rules colours..

« Reply #2288 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:26:43 am »
I think they should have had a bisexual black female ood Doctor, then "that" section of the Internet would have exploded, hopefully permanently.  ;D

A female Doctor is hardly radical, probably less so than a black President of the USA, and that didn't bring about the end of the world, whatever Republicans may claim, and Barack Obama is actually real, and not a fictional character.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2289 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:52:56 am »
A female Doctor is hardly radical, probably less so than a black President of the USA, and that didn't bring about the end of the world, whatever Republicans may claim, and Barack Obama is actually real, and not a fictional character.

This Unit hereby endorses this product, service or sentiment. I may have to steal it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2290 on: 18 July, 2017, 12:31:53 pm »
A female Doctor is hardly radical, probably less so than a black President of the USA, and that didn't bring about the end of the world,

Well it did lead to President Trump. So depending on how you define causality, it may still lead to the end of the world ...

I also think this is all No Big Deal. Decent scripts are far more important to the quality of the Who Product, than gender/ethnicity/height/annoying_hats.

I caught the very end of Womans Hour - which I gather covered Doctoress Who in some detail - and they read a listener's email; she was complaining that The Doctor should also have been black, and hiring Jodie shows how slowly the BBC are stuttering into the 21stCentury  ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2291 on: 18 July, 2017, 01:19:20 pm »
Isn't a black, female, and above all BRITISH president of the USA already Doctor Who canon?  Something to do with Blinovitch, IIRC.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2292 on: 18 July, 2017, 01:49:41 pm »
I caught the very end of Womans Hour - which I gather covered Doctoress Who in some detail - and they read a listener's email; she was complaining that The Doctor should also have been black, and hiring Jodie shows how slowly the BBC are stuttering into the 21stCentury  ::-)

1) I suspect you also caught the beginning and middle of Womans Hour (but that's a different topic).

2) The mere fact that a woman, playing a non-gender-specific role on TV, is a topic on Womans Hour at all proves we are stuttering into the 21st Century.

As far as I am aware, the Doctor is an Alien life form and so, logically, there should have been a similar outcry when it was played by a human actor.

Anyone complaining that it's not OK for a woman human to play a shape-shifting alien but that it's fine for a man human to play it... strikes me as a bit of a dick (for caring about any of it it all).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2293 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »
1) I suspect you also caught the beginning and middle of Womans Hour (but that's a different topic).

No, really, I didn't!

(mainly cos I was at work.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2294 on: 18 July, 2017, 06:29:53 pm »
A female Doctor is hardly radical, probably less so than a black President of the USA, and that didn't bring about the end of the world ...
Well it did lead to President Trump. So depending on how you define causality, it may still lead to the end of the world ...

I guess that's an argument we can have, when they pick the Doctor after Jodie Whittaker!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2295 on: 18 July, 2017, 06:33:44 pm »
A female Doctor is hardly radical, probably less so than a black President of the USA, and that didn't bring about the end of the world ...

I guess that's an argument we can have, when they pick the Doctor after Jodie Whittaker!
If it's flipping Catherine Tate, you will owe me big time.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2296 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:31:38 pm »

I remember the fuss before Star Trek: Voyager came out.  Everyone was all worked up about there being a female captain.  Then it finally came out and we quickly realised that Janeway was literally the least annoying thing about it.

This!  Janeaway was just great.  But Neelix?  Harry Kim?  Neelix?   Neelix?

Oh, and Tits of Borg was no feminist achievement.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2297 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:36:39 pm »
Yeah 
*but has moment *
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2298 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:40:15 pm »
Harry Kim was fine, if bland.  He's the archetype of the guy who quietly makes sure that stuff gets done without any recognition whatsoever from management.  Seven years stranded in the Delta Quadrant surrounded by a crew of semi-competents and character clashes and he's still only an Ensign.  Even O'Brien got regular promotions, but Kim was out-ranked by Wesley Sodding Crusher.

The less said about Neelix the better.  I think I genuinely preferred the Ferengi.

Seven of Nine serves as a warning about the hazards of spacecraft full of bras.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2299 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:51:50 pm »
I believe that earlier in the Woman's Hour prog mentioned above someone hoped that she would play it with no reference to gender.  In the style of Ripley.
Yes I know that part was originally written for a male actor,  but she made it absolutely work. Better than anyone else could have.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.