Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512583 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Pansy with your salad?

IMG_9036_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Thanks to a kind friend and Betty's by Post, I have tea room blend, Yorkshire gingerbread, Yorkshire shortbread and Fat Rascals. Well, had.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Mr Larrington - I've just had a stroopwafel  :P

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I'm suffering from stroopwafel withdrawal. If I volunteer for LEL 2021 I'll insist on Anco de Jong carrying a packet with him.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Are stoopwafels what hat fuelled Anco on LEL?

Y'know, having a reputation as a wine snob probably isn't a good thing because, well, people think you are a wine snob.

On the other hand, it does mean that the shabbiest bottle given to me for current birthday celebrations (actually next week when I'm in Iceland) is a chateauneuf du pape. Currently being quaffed. No bad thing at all. Ah. That does make me sound like a wine snob, doesn't it? Oh well. I'll live with it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Are stoopwafels what hat fuelled Anco on LEL?

He had some CAEK at, IIRC, Moffat, but only ate half of it.  But he did stuff an apple into his pocket during the four minutes he was at Great Easton.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Y'know, having a reputation as a wine snob probably isn't a good thing because, well, people think you are a wine snob.

On the other hand, it does mean that the shabbiest bottle given to me for current birthday celebrations (actually next week when I'm in Iceland) is a chateauneuf du pape. Currently being quaffed. No bad thing at all. Ah. That does make me sound like a wine snob, doesn't it? Oh well. I'll live with it.

Go back to Iceland in 20 years and you'll be able to try the local red.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Unless the Gulf Stream switches itself off, in which case the grounds of Ham Hall will be full of polar bears raiding the bins.

Shirley, someone is having a labelling Edith....in an imitation-is-the-most-effective-form-of-flattery kind of way...
Same region. Same grape.
Seen on adjacent shelves in my local stupormarket...
(and in my shopping basket)

FWIW the Villetta is ok, but not quite as nice as the 20% extra spend for the Villa Maria (IMO)

It made oi larf.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Spar pasta salad eaten cold from the pot with a folding plastic fork is food of the gods. But only at 10pm on an Esso forecourt with 270km ridden and another 60 or so to go.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
David dislikes yogurt but is away.
I have just had a BIG bowl of Skyr, strawberries and fresh pineapple.
I suddenly feel ALIVE.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Shirley, someone is having a labelling Edith....in an imitation-is-the-most-effective-form-of-flattery kind of way...
Same region. Same grape.
Seen on adjacent shelves in my local stupormarket...
(and in my shopping basket)

FWIW the Villetta is ok, but not quite as nice as the 20% extra spend for the Villa Maria (IMO)

It made oi larf.

Don't see anything strange about it. Same region & same grape doesn't mean that the wines should be the same. Soil varies from valley to valley and even vineyard to vineyard in the same valley. Not to mention from year to year.

Don't see anything strange about it. Same region & same grape doesn't mean that the wines should be the same. Soil varies from valley to valley and even vineyard to vineyard in the same valley. Not to mention from year to year.

You would be a bit disappointed with New Zealand, then. Marlborough is a plain, with endless vines in field after field.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #2239 on: 04 September, 2017, 10:13:02 am »
In the local supermarket: fresh green asparagus from Peru.  Alsace is one of the largest asparagus-growing regions in Europe. :facepalm:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #2240 on: 04 September, 2017, 11:32:12 am »
In the local supermarket: fresh green asparagus from Peru.  Alsace is one of the largest asparagus-growing regions in Europe. :facepalm:

Interesting definition of 'fresh'.

People need to rediscover the idea of seasonality rather than expecting to be able to get any ingredient at any time of year. Part of the appeal of asparagus, strawberries, broad beans, creme eggs etc is only being able to get them at certain times of year.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #2241 on: 04 September, 2017, 12:01:19 pm »
While it's mostly true that there's a delight in seasonal and local produce and it usually distinguishes itself by tasting of something other than air-freighted and ship-hauled disappointment, there's also a moment in mid-January where you realise that no matter how hard you try, a swede will never pass for a mango.

Asparagus makes my wee smell, so it's banned in my house. And I'm still waiting for someone to explain avocadoes to me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2242 on: 04 September, 2017, 01:23:29 pm »
I read somewhere that about a third of people get the piddle pong.  I'm one of them but who cares?  It's not as if I was piddling at the table, and if you can't make a bit of a niff in the cludge where can you?

ian

« Reply #2243 on: 04 September, 2017, 01:31:02 pm »
It's a nasty thiol whiff. If I recall, there's two genes, one covers making it, one covers smelling it. I have both and so am unduly cursed. I can't go into a German toilet at certainly times in the year because of the potential olfactory spargle horror. My nose doth offend me.

That and the perennial shit shelf, of course. I don't want to look down and someone's colonic bratwurst laid out for inspection. I don't want to see my own, for that matter.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2244 on: 04 September, 2017, 02:29:48 pm »
While it's mostly true that there's a delight in seasonal and local produce and it usually distinguishes itself by tasting of something other than air-freighted and ship-hauled disappointment, there's also a moment in mid-January where you realise that no matter how hard you try, a swede will never pass for a mango.

I eschew unseasonal produce purely on taste grounds rather than as one of those middle-class peccadillos like reading the Guardian and listening to Moneybox.

Also because you can have too much of a good thing - the short growing season is part of what makes asparagus special. If you can eat it all year round, the novelty value of stinky wee will soon wear off. Unlike the smell.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2245 on: 04 September, 2017, 05:03:18 pm »
You're wrong about creme eggs though. They're a native of the tropics and like bananas, for instance, they grow all year round in their own climate.

ian

« Reply #2246 on: 04 September, 2017, 07:59:17 pm »
Avocadoes though. They don't grow here. They're always going to get frequent flyer points. I like guacamole, but that takes a bit of effort and avocado is only the starting material. Once you've scooped and smooshed, you've got to add some minced garlic, a bit of scallion, some lime juice, a pinch of paprika, chilli powder (or mince some jalapeƱo), and a good spoon of ground cumin. Oh and some chopped coriander leaf and a pinch of salt. But without all that, it's just green mush. I reckon I could make mashamole out of mashed spuds. I think I might just try.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2247 on: 04 September, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
I'm sure mashamole is a thing in hipster circles already. Probably with a poncier name though.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2248 on: 04 September, 2017, 08:04:58 pm »
Don't you put tomatoes in your guacamole?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #2249 on: 04 September, 2017, 08:08:59 pm »
Avocado and dukkah on toast. I saw that. What is wrong with cheese?

Yes, I had to Google dukkah just in case he was one of the dimmer deities of Mesopotamia.

Tomatoes in guacamole. Is that even a thing? Tomatoes go in the salsa. Which come to think of it, is pretty much guacamole without tomatoes instead of avocadoes. At least it is when I make it.