Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514961 times)

I'm quite fond of Serrano ham, but a 2.7Kg piece of the stuff as a present ?  I'm a single chap & don't entertain much. I'm going to be eating this until Easter! 

And "keep in a cool place & do not refrigerate" ?  That's going to work well in my tiny open plan flat!  I guess I could hang it outside, the seagulls would have a field day....

Or you could channel your inner Hogfather and give chunks of it away.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

nicknack

• Hornblower
I'm not entirely sure if this counts as a "food thing", but anyway...
I had my first Starbucks "coffee" the other day.
It was shit.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

I had my first last Starbucks "coffee" the other day.
It was shit.
FTFY (or I hope I have!)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I'm quite fond of Serrano ham, but a 2.7Kg piece of the stuff as a present ?  I'm a single chap & don't entertain much. I'm going to be eating this until Easter! 

And "keep in a cool place & do not refrigerate" ?  That's going to work well in my tiny open plan flat!  I guess I could hang it outside, the seagulls would have a field day....
If you tell me where you are I'll bring bread, wine, oil, salt and garlic and help you out of this mess.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

nicknack

• Hornblower
I had my first last Starbucks "coffee" the other day.
It was shit.
FTFY (or I hope I have!)
;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

I've just eaten a bowl of Pea N'Ham soup which I defrosted yesterday, having  made on Dec 23rd, chilled it rapidly and then frozen it.

That's Dec 2016...... :o

ian

I ate some best-before Dec 2016 Ready Brek on Monday (last weekend was the annual toast-to-porridge switchover on Planet ian).

They weren't lying.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
What's the half-life of Ready Brek anyway?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
What's the half-life of Ready Brek anyway?
You tell us. You're known for being only half alive before breakfast!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Do you want your kids to glow in the dark?

ian

I know, I was disappointed that it had decayed so soon. I expected to hang around for a couple of thousand years but other than some sundry vitamins, it's just oats and oat flour. No exotic isotopes of our favourite elements. Not a hint of transuranic perkiness. No positrons, gamma rays, or bubbly little alpha particles. I like radiation. I one poked a nuclear reactor with a stick (honest, but it wouldn't be bragging to say it was a long, long stick).

Anyway, despite being unopened it was stale enough not to be edible, not even with a substantial dose of blueberry syrup.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Suspect the oils go rancid. Doubt that's harmful but tastes meh.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Icelandic lobster soup is my new favourite thing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
A geothermally heated bisque with added volcanic rock...?  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Pretty much that - would probably explain why it’s so salty.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Suspect the oils go rancid. Doubt that's harmful but tastes meh.

I didn't die. I have some Waitrose porridge now to go with my blueberry syrup now (and live blueberries). I'm tempted to make pancakes but I'm mostly too lazy (and supposed to be working) in the morning. I'll be in Philadelphia in a couple of days, someone there can make pancakes for me, on every trip to the US I have to have pancakes once, by the end of which I've reached maximum stodge for the rest of my visit (and the subsequent month).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Partner has just returned home from Costa in Brent Civic Centre, Wembley.

He wanted TEA with cold milk but they served his TEA with hot milk.

He is unimpressed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Must have been a French teaperson, then.  Here it's usually made with water at 80°C and if you just ask for milk they steam-heat it for you. It's usually budgie-piss Lipton's Yellow, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think he would grudgingly accepted that sort of excuse for TEA in a more FOREIGN location but in a Costa attached to a BRITISH Civic Centre, he was disappointed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Foreign name, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
First world problem: leaving your stroopwafel too long and ending up with a soggy, coffee-flavoured caramel wafer.

Latest Brummie delight

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Some enterprising Indian is bound to introduce that to India. I reckon it'll be a hit there, like chapati with jam is. The chocolate stout might not transfer so well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

What is the point of unsmoked bacon?  I'd eat it in extremis, but it's just not as good as the smoked stuff, is it?

ian

Not it isn't, but curiously every greasy spoon I go to seems to only have unsmoked bacon and the server looks at me like I'm some kind of libertine hipster every time I ask for it.

Mind you, I also ask for poached eggs. One day I might ask, you know, whether they have some smashed avocado to go with that.