Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514923 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's own 'new' mango chutney is a disappointment: thin, sugary, salty but lacking acidity, pungency and spiciness.

I WANT GEETA'S!

Geeta's is indeed the best. Both Tesco and Asda stock it round my way; worth asking your other half to take a look when he's out and about?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
No. Tesco has closed and the massive ASDA is so horrible that asking him to visit would risk his ire.

We will have to wait until Sainsbury's actually supply the stuff. [FWP]

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The Geeta's, it has arrived!!!
 :) :thumbsup: :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I've just had some yogurt which describes itself as "Fig and date yogurt with sunflower seeds, cereals and grains." So what's the difference between cereals and grains? They're the same thing aren't they? The full ingredients are listed as: yogurt, water, unrefined cane sugar, figs, sunflower seeds, dates, jumbo oat flakes, oat groats, barley flakes, buckwheat. Curious as to which of those it considers "cereals" and which "grains". Or is it just that it looks better with more words? Also curious to see the word "groats"; sounds Dickensian!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
As long as it is groats and not gruts.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I think buckwheat might be a cereal that isn't a grain, but I'm not really sure. I don't think I could tell you what the distinction is.

Groats are the whole seeds, as opposed to porridge oats, which are usually rolled.

Either way, it sounds like an incredibly poncey yoghurt!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

I suppose it does sound rather poncey, but it was actually pretty tasty. And not poncily priced either.

ian

I think buckwheat might be a cereal that isn't a grain, but I'm not really sure. I don't think I could tell you what the distinction is.

Groats are the whole seeds, as opposed to porridge oats, which are usually rolled.

Either way, it sounds like an incredibly poncey yoghurt!

Sort of, cereals are specifically grass seeds. Buckwheat isn't a grass (it's related to sorrel and rhubarb) so in usage is a pseudocereal (as is quinoa). Grains are just anything small and, well, grainy.

Sounds like a posher bircher muesli thing like what I eat for breakfast sometimes.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Fig & date yoghurt with birdseed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I suppose it does sound rather poncey, but it was actually pretty tasty. And not poncily priced either.

:thumbsup:

It does actually sound like something I would happily eat. And now ian’s post has made me crave some bircher muesli...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

As a bye-the-bye, Mrs Ham's fiance bought himself some bircher muesli. Guessing (correctly) that he just thought it was normal muesli and had been using it as such, I prepared some for him in the approved manner (soaking in apple juice, adding grated apple, yoghurt). The end product was a bit of a surprise: "that's really nice!"

Cudzoziemiec

Talking of rhubarb, I was reading about the Opium Wars recently. Apparently at the time of the First Opium War, 1840, the Chinese Emperor refused to take British military aggression seriously on the grounds that Europeans were unable to live without supplies of Chinese rhubarb and tea. Though he did later revise this to say that only tea was in fact vital to life (and he was correct, of course!)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Further, the local Chinese bigwig ordered that supplies of rhubarb to the British be cut off in the hope that "with their repulsive diet of greasy meat and boiled vegetables, they will become hopelessly constipated" and therefore go home.

My history O-level was longer ago than I care to temember, but that one stuck ha ha.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't care for purple hair but think the UK could make rather better use of its blackcurrant crop than waste 90% of it in feckin' Ribena.
I want jam, compote, sorbet, ice cream, pie and more.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-44303626

Cudzoziemiec

I looked into one of the big Chinese/Oriental food shops earlier today. There are several in the centre, mostly catering to foreign students. I didn't expect to see rhubarb, but I also didn't expect to see 3kg bags of Birds custard powder, wholesale sized packs of sesame snaps and little tins of luncheon meat.

A nice waiter in a bar in a town in the south of France could not sell me ice cream last week because "We only have ice cream in summer, when it is hot"!!!
I thought it was hot enough...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Ice cream is perennial in the UK and the vans usually appear here in mid-February.

Other places consume less.

I don't care for purple hair but think the UK could make rather better use of its blackcurrant crop than waste 90% of it in feckin' Ribena.

Isn't ribena the reason for the blackcurrant crop IYSWIM? Thought the reason it became so popular was that it was pushed as a source of vitamin C in rationing-afflicted WW2 Britain.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I liked ribena till they changed the full-sugar version to be full of sweeteners. It was one of the few squashes I'd drink.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Isn't ribena the reason for the blackcurrant crop IYSWIM? Thought the reason it became so popular was that it was pushed as a source of vitamin C in rationing-afflicted WW2 Britain.

Possibly though recently some 14 year-olds thought they'd test how much Vit C there was in Ribena and didn't find much...

Cudzoziemiec

Waitrose "Basics" do a nice blackcurrant jam.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Thanks! My point was the scale of Ribena manufacture, when SO much more can be done with the fruit.

Cudzoziemiec

Well if you buy more jam (or compote, pie, ice cream, sorbet or hair dye) then those uses will increase! But that's not going to stop people drinking Ribena.