Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 519009 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
If you make Jack Monroe's peanut butter granola, but replace the golden syrup with 1/4 honey and 3/4 black treacle, it tastes like parkin.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I popped into the my local in Llandysul early evening.
"Ooh,  I was hoping you'd come in" said Ifor the Cheese, and gave me a pound and a half of his sheep milk blue.  (He likes me as I am the only one of the regulars who doesn't prefer Kraft Cream Slices.)

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Good man, that Ifor.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
*Settles into favourite armchair with knife, Cheese, bottle of Old Speckled Hen and a packet of oat biscuits*

:P
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Makes a change from the illicit Cadbury products...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Bento looks like a lot of fun but there's a HUGE amount of fiddly faffy WORK and I fear all that handling would increase the bug count.
Keep the lunchbox in a warm schoolroom or in a body-worn bag and there's a risk of food poisoning IMO.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
"Ooh,  I was hoping you'd come in" said Ifor the Cheese, and gave me a pound and a half of his sheep milk blue.  (He likes me as I am the only one of the regulars who doesn't prefer Kraft Cream Slices.)

There was a chess player about 100 years ago with the hyphenated surname Evans-Evans. Somewhere in the chess library on the wall to my left is a game he played against Evans, in about 1920 I think. It was, of course, an Evans gambit. Sadly, I know of no record of cheese being involved in the game. Nor beer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

In other news, a charabanc loaded with vowels carrying their luggage for a long stay was seen leaving Wales, en route to Italy.

Cudzoziemiec

And look at the label on the pump.

We all have one - that kitchen gadget that seemed like a good idea at the time, was used once and then left to languish at the back of a cupboard ever since. Then there are kitchen gadgets that have you thinking, "Why?" or in this case, "Nope. Nopenopenopenope..."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/15/kitchen-gadgets-review-egg-master-horrifying-unholy-affair

This week’s gadget describes itself as “a new way to prepare eggs”, which is accurate in the way that chopping off your legs could be described as a new way to lose weight. Let’s start with that name, its unsettling taint of S&M, an overtone consistent with the design. In hot pink and stippled black rubber, Egg Master’s exterior screams cut-price, mail-order adult toy; its funnelled hole suggests terrible uses. And it has a traffic light on it, for some reason.

;D :o :-X
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

I've just ordered some Ossua - Iraty, after seeing it advertised on a mountainside during the TdF coverage.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Ossau Iraty is often to be found in Sainsburys or M&S.
It's delish :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

However, it is the heady month of July where the acid really drops.
Isn't it always? Quite how we/some of us/I survived the 1970s to become the sensible adults we are now, I'll never know. Oh, what's that...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1441 on: 08 September, 2015, 07:32:51 pm »
Coca Cola have four self-congratulatory pages of advertising in tonight's Evening Standard. They're pretending they're not encouraging us to drink sugar.
I've not seen that 'Life' stuff in a GREEN bottle on sale anywhere. It still has 56% of the sugar content of full-fat Coke anyway.
Can some kind person please tell me how Coke Zero differs from Diet Coke?

ian

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1442 on: 08 September, 2015, 08:01:45 pm »
Coke Zero tastes more Pepsified. Sweeter. I think it's the Coke Light beloved of foreign heathenry, but as we had differently formulated Diet Coke, this was the only way they could smuggle it into the country. Possibly I made all this up. It's the internet, shadowy land of half-truths and outright lies, and this is my post and I can make things up if I want to.

Anyway, it's still the equivalent of over four spoons of sugar per can. This is apparently their commitment to our health. Sugar solution is sugar solution and it's pretty much going to kick you in the liver and pancreas as soon as it hits your stomach. Sugary soft drinks are the worst thing ever. All instant calories, ready dissolved and on the highway to your hepatic portal, where it can wham your insulin gong like it's fairground hammer contest.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1443 on: 08 September, 2015, 08:18:47 pm »
I fully agree that Drinking Sugar is Bad.
I don't do it.
Much.
I drink 200ml of Tropicana Orange every breakfast.

I am neither dead nor diabetic (yet).
An uncle only just survived after being a 2 litres/day Tropicana man

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1444 on: 08 September, 2015, 08:52:42 pm »
I tend not to drink "fizzy pop" unless I'm at a pub or out and about.  I drink toomuch tea but in the scheme of things it's not bad for me or my teeth like anything sugary would be.

« Reply #1445 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:04:50 pm »
Diet coke is marketed at women.  Coke zero is marketed at men.  They taste slightly different, but given that coke tastes different whether you drink it out of the can or pour it into a glass, the difference between the 2 is pretty small.

Coke 'life' is a stevia product.  It's common in the USA as they really aren't big on sugar-free drinks.  Most of them seem to believe that the chemicals in sugar-free drinks will give them cancer.  For some reason, the idea of this is worse than the real risk of heart disease/diabetes/etc. that are associated with drinking 3 litres a day of sugary drinks.

ian

« Reply #1446 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:49:17 pm »
The US tends to have a reasonable selection of diet drinks these days, though mostly sucralose sweetened because they're scared of aspartame (can we guess where the anti-aspartame stories came from, why if it wasn't our friends in the US sugar and HFCS lobbies). Which, as you say, is full steam ahead battleship full of bullshit. But it's a niche market aimed at ladies who diet and metrosexual men who insist on buying jeans a size too small. Proper men are glugging 44 oz Big Gulp sodas (about 32 teaspoons of sugar) and loosening their belts. Well, I guess they have to get rid of all corn syrup somewhere, so why not treat your citizens as foie gras. Come on boys, drink up.

« Reply #1447 on: 08 September, 2015, 10:19:28 pm »
I'm just back from a meal with a friend.    Bread with oil & balsamic, followed by Scotch eggs, with black pudding in the coating, nom!    I made a mistake with my main course & ordered the pork chop.........    14oz of dead pig on a mountain of mustard mash, with accompanying hillocks of pickled cabbage & sliced apple & a fritter of juicy ham.  Good stuff, but more fitting to Sunday lunch than a weekday meal with work in the morning.   I feel like I want to go to boboes & not wake up for weeks.  :-[

http://www.theclovehitch.com/the-bistro/4567385927

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1448 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:41:16 pm »
I tend not to drink "fizzy pop" unless I'm at a pub or out and about.

I am much the same: diet cola is for pubs, restaurants and railways.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1449 on: 09 September, 2015, 12:09:18 am »
I tend not to drink "fizzy pop" unless I'm at a pub or out and about.

I am much the same: diet cola is for pubs, restaurants and railways.

+2

Fizzy drinks hurt, so I wouldn't like to get the majority of my water intake that way.

Not being a drinker of Brown Drinks, I do however have a serious fructose habit...