Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471312 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2250 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:20:59 pm »
LEL evening pic

Are you referring to the rider with the rusty chain?

No, I'm referring to the cover pic of the summer mag. That's an LEL evening pic, just like the cover pic of the 2013 summer mag. So next LEL evening pic should be in the summer 2021 edition ;).
For the autumn edition I only provided the back cover pic

« Reply #2251 on: 13 December, 2017, 02:13:22 am »
Okay, the summer edition # 137 has a picture on the front cover of a cyclist wearing a hi viz jersey and riding a bike with a rusty chain with a caption: Early morning northern light on the LEL.

« Reply #2252 on: 13 December, 2017, 08:20:23 am »
Okay, the summer edition # 137 has a picture on the front cover of a cyclist wearing a hi viz jersey and riding a bike with a rusty chain with a caption: Early morning northern light on the LEL.

Checking some photo's taken from the same rider under different light conditions does indeed reveal a little bit of rust. It looks a lot more due to the reddish evening light when the cover pic was taken.

« Reply #2253 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:27:17 am »
Pedants' Corner

May I (be possibly the 94th person to) point out that there should be a second "e" on the final word in the title of this thread, i.e. "Arrivée est arrivée!" because the past participle of the verb must agree with the gender (feminine) of the noun.

I'll get my coat now.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2254 on: 13 December, 2017, 10:43:05 am »
It's a good one ... but they were never going to match last issue's cover picture.

Someone you know?
As it happens, yes; but I just think it's a good pic. :)

Nice scenery, lighting, bike, accesories ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2255 on: 13 December, 2017, 12:20:22 pm »
Pedants' Corner

May I (be possibly the 94th person to) point out that there should be a second "e" on the final word in the title of this thread, i.e. "Arrivée est arrivée!" because the past participle of the verb must agree with the gender (feminine) of the noun.

I'll get my coat now.

I suppose I thought of Arrivée as being un journal when I started this thread rather than a feminine entity but I'm no scholar of the French (or any other) language.

hillbilly

« Reply #2256 on: 13 December, 2017, 12:27:09 pm »
I had the same thought.  It inherits the gender of "magazine" or similar.  So masculine.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #2257 on: 13 December, 2017, 08:44:51 pm »
Shouldn't it be a "d" ?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2258 on: 14 December, 2017, 07:05:06 am »
I think it's probable that, unlike the Mail's comments, there will be a certain amount of editorial discretion as to what gets onto the letters page ...

Plenty of unfiltered, and mostly polite, discussion here https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105992.0, courtesy of the Mods.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2259 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:58:17 am »
I cannot imagine what the editor was thinking!
Did you have a look at the photo on the (front) cover?

Intentionally or not, it made me smile when I read the complaint about a helmet-less cyclist on the cover of the previous issue.

I read the last two issues of Arrivée cover to cover, and that is a rare thing for me; chapeau to everyone involved in the production of the magazine!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2260 on: 14 December, 2017, 11:31:50 am »
... I think the magazine would have been far better had it been two pages shorter!

Not technically possible.  A staple-bound magazine has a multiple of 4 pages.  </pedant>

Various people have referred to "the editor" in the last couple of pages of this thread - but it's not clear to me who was the person responsible for the inclusion of this article.  The "edition editor" is named on the first page of the magazine, in an 'editorial' boxout written by somebody else, who is also the person who invites response to the article on page 25.  So I'm confused.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2261 on: 14 December, 2017, 05:21:20 pm »
Sorry mate! I'm going to a CTC meeting later.

Redlight

« Reply #2262 on: 14 December, 2017, 08:09:01 pm »

Are you still allowed to say that? Isn't it called Bikes R Us or something equally facile now?

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #2263 on: 14 December, 2017, 11:51:04 pm »

Are you still allowed to say that? Isn't it called Bikes R Us or something equally facile now?

I think it’s called Cycling UK, to clearly differentiate it from Cycling England, Cycling Scotland, British Cycling, Welsh Cycling, British and UK Cycling, Cycling Ireland, and of course Cycling Cycling....

Oh, and probably from Cycling England and Scotland, AND from Cycling Scotland and England, and Cycling Southern England, and Cycling Anywhere Else....

and not forgetting Cycling Slowly......
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #2264 on: 15 December, 2017, 01:42:54 am »
We are Cycling UK, the Cyclists' Champion. You look very corporate if you were the branded Endura jacket.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Redlight

« Reply #2265 on: 15 December, 2017, 09:42:43 am »
You look very corporate if you were the branded Endura jacket.
??? ??? ???

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2266 on: 15 December, 2017, 09:46:50 am »
This:

cannot be worn by the incorporeal.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2267 on: 15 December, 2017, 10:38:50 am »
You look very corporate if you were the branded Endura jacket.
??? ??? ???

ITHM: "wear"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

« Reply #2268 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:51:10 am »
Ah. That makes sense.  And that jersey is truly horrible (although perhaps not quite as horrible as the 'yellow and blue vomit' AUK one from a few years back).

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #2269 on: 16 December, 2017, 12:35:29 pm »
Sat up late last night reading Arrivee - an excellent production. Interesting article about US touring, made me ponder (for the first time ever) going there on a tour, also really liked the "woman in audax" story, very interesting. Good lay-out, it's going to be hard to keep up this level of professionalism. And I now think a trip to Dartmoor to be humiliated on the Devil might on for next year.
And having met Pete at the Eskdalemuir control, and stood outside with him as we were under massive midge attack before he sent me inside to  relative shelter and the job of getting shoes off and blue plastic covers on feet, I find it really interesting to read his account of being there.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2270 on: 16 December, 2017, 02:50:05 pm »
Interesting article about US touring, made me ponder (for the first time ever) going there on a tour

Don't go there in August Fogust.  We experienced a lot of fog on US Pacific coast when we cycled from the top of Washington State, setting of near the end of July, and finishing in LA in mid September. Cycling along the Pacific coast in August wearing three layers, full fingered gloves & with the tail lights flashing begins to suck after more than a few days, especially when you know it is >30 °C a few miles inland. The Canadian Rockies were much more fun, IMO.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2271 on: 16 December, 2017, 04:03:10 pm »

And having met Pete at the Eskdalemuir control, and stood outside with him as we were under massive midge attack before he sent me inside to  relative shelter and the job of getting shoes off and blue plastic covers on feet, I find it really interesting to read his account of being there.

I had a chat with Peter about the flowers in the valleys. Meadowsweet went a bit crazy everywhere this year, and was a amazing in the Ettrick valley. I was wondering what the abundant umbellifer was. It's Angelica, as I found out on a plant identification course run by Lancs Wildlife Trust.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2272 on: 16 December, 2017, 04:23:47 pm »
Will enjoy my cultivated Umbelliferae with my Christmas dinner.

Never had any luck growing them here!

« Reply #2273 on: 16 December, 2017, 04:45:55 pm »
... complaint about a helmet-less cyclist on the cover of the previous issue ... chapeau to everyone involved ..

Don't you start

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations