Author Topic: Random...  (Read 18880 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Random...
« on: 12 March, 2015, 02:16:49 pm »
Our daughter and her husband seem convinced that they ought to cut back on their 23-month-old son's naps.

This morning he was pretty grumpy and almost, but didn't quite, fall asleep on my shoulder. I took him upstairs and he happily dived into his cot, grabbing Mr. Duckie en route, and we heard no more from him until I'd made his lunch some 2 hours 20 minutes later.

He ate some fish fingers, carrots, peas and chips and promptly nodded off in his high chair. He is now slumbering deeply over my shoulder once again.

I am glad we are not staying tonight as well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Random...
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2015, 02:29:05 pm »
I saw the thread title Randon in Kidstuff and though, "Oh, an audax for kids."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:09:17 pm »
mini-h was having afternoon naps well into his fifth year.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »
Sounds like your daughter is keen for him to sleep at night more and during the day less, I can't think why  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:06:59 am »
I've rarely found restricting naps to be particularly effective at helping night sleep. What you do outside the naps is much more important. Fresh air, exercise and swimming are the key.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:21:50 am »
My midwife told me, and my health visitor later said the same, that 'sleep promotes sleep'.  For my two, this proved to be true.

Also, tired children don't eat well and then hunger wakes them.  The only times I really tried to restrict or delay or change their spontaneous timings of naps was when the Cubs were 'phase shifting' from, for example, typically three naps to typically two, or typically two naps (one am one pm) to generally one (which they would, if you weren't a bit proactive about it, take at lunchtime and then be crabby and hungry and tired all afternoon).  The other classic with the EldestCub was the few months at around the age of three when he would happily go all day without a nap but tend to fall asleep at teatime with unpleasant repercussions for one's evening.  My 'management' of all this consisted of shifting mealtimes a bit to accommodate (lunch a lot earlier for a while, for example) and to be judicious in the use of pushchairs on busy days to encourage getting a few Zzzzs at more convenient times - and discourage it at 5ish o'clock when on the way home from a day of playing.

The SmallestCub started at nursery at around one, much younger than his brother had, and was most disconcerted by regular nap times.  As soon as he moved from the baby room to the toddler room he abandoned the idea completely - because he ain't daft and he quickly worked out that while all the other littlies were dozing, he could have all the nursery workers to himself to sit on his favourite people's knees to get read stories by them. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2015, 04:16:06 pm »
Baby brother kept his afternoon naps for AGES as this allowed him to be up and about when Dad returned from work quite late and all could have family meal together.

He was articulate enough to say 'sleep, sleep, sleep sleep SLEEP!' if he was tired, which was much better than having a Grumpy Toddler.

A siesta is seen as normal in Mediterranean countries. Kids need them too.

Trouble is, interfering with/commenting on others' parenting habits is always unwelcome!

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2015, 09:48:49 am »
It's all quite a long time ago for me (son just turned 21)- but I do clearly remember picking him up from nursery on many occasions to have the delighted staff tell me "he's had a great nap this afternoon- slept for 3 1/2 hours solid!". He was a very good sleeper my son. But letting him do this was a disaster for the evening and created a very very cranky baby/toddler the following morning because he didn't crash out like a light at 7pm on the dot like he needed to.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2015, 06:07:33 pm »
I have just assembled a brand-new Islabike Beinn. it is for Martha's birthday on 27th.

I want to have a go...

« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:26:36 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Lucky Martha!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:32:02 pm »
I have just assembled a brand-new Islabike Beinn. it is for Martha's birthday on 27th.

I want to have a go...
Make sure pictures are posted.
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:43:48 pm »
It turns out that Martha is going to someone else's birthday party on her own birthday! This is quite good news as my birthday is the day before Martha's and I had intended to go to the (now cancelled) FNRtTH. However, I think that Mrs. Wow and I can either take the Terra Nova Space 2 on the tandem/solos for a jaunt around somewhere, possibly rail-assisted, or stick the tandem in the car with our giant Vango tent and use that instead. A long weekend appeals, anyway.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:21:21 pm »
It turns out that Martha is going to someone else's birthday party on her own birthday! This is quite good news as my birthday is the day before Martha's and I had intended to go to the (now cancelled) FNRtTH. However, I think that Mrs. Wow and I can either take the Terra Nova Space 2 on the tandem/solos for a jaunt around somewhere, possibly rail-assisted, or stick the tandem in the car with our giant Vango tent and use that instead. A long weekend appeals, anyway.

Aberystwyth via Bishop's Castle?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:26:48 pm »

Aberystwyth via Bishop's Castle?

Now that is a thought.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2016, 04:58:11 pm »
Martha's school is having a Science Week. Today Yaer 1 have been playing with non-newtonian fluids.

« Reply #15 on: 04 July, 2016, 05:41:32 pm »
corn flour and water paste.   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:46:38 pm »
corn flour and water paste.   :thumbsup:
With a variety of food colouring just to make it interesting.  :P

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 14 January, 2017, 02:09:05 pm »
Friend (Grandpa) Facebooked a lovely family picture yesterday. Family in a big bed.
Mum asleep.
Big Sis - about 21 months at a glance - playing with iPad.
Little Sis - 3 months - staring intently at Big Sis' iPad.

Grandpa states baby paid more attention to iPad than to him...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2017, 09:47:47 am »
A playground scene this morning, so no photos. M and I had cycled in on the Circe, which was parked. A pal of hers then turned up on her Islabike. M and the pal then stood discussing bikes whilst standing with/astride quality bikes. That is how it should be with Year 2 children! Start 'em young, I say!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 16 July, 2017, 06:28:25 pm »
Mum informs me Youngest Grandchild (22 months) spent 40 minutes trying to open lock with a key and puzzling about it.

I can't imagine anything will be 'childproof' for him soon. I've not heard of a Tiny concentrating on anything for that long!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #20 on: 04 September, 2017, 08:14:52 am »
This morning my grandson starts school and his older sister commences Year 3, ergo a Junior.

Four years old is ridiculously early to begin formal education, particularly for him. He is nowhere near ready.

rr

« Reply #21 on: 04 September, 2017, 11:08:22 am »
Mum informs me Youngest Grandchild (22 months) spent 40 minutes trying to open lock with a key and puzzling about it.

I can't imagine anything will be 'childproof' for him soon. I've not heard of a Tiny concentrating on anything for that long!
Mini, at the age of 1, used to spend hours fitting hex keys into the various bolts on my bike.
She has never conformed to the short attention span stereotypes and is now starting A levels with the intention of studying engineering afterwards.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 04 September, 2017, 11:27:33 pm »
This morning my grandson starts school and his older sister commences Year 3, ergo a Junior.

Four years old is ridiculously early to begin formal education, particularly for him. He is nowhere near ready.

Agreed.

Local school kidnaps infants at three so they learn English. I'm glad I'm childless!

« Reply #23 on: 29 September, 2017, 11:54:24 am »

We "home educated" our daughter for almost 2 years for this reason. It's one of the decisions I'm most happy with in my whole life! She had 1 month in year 1, the summer, and then started year 2 with all her peers. It didn't take long for her to catch up with the rest of the class, though the school she is in was probably crucial in that (they seem to take on a child or 2 who has no English each year!).

« Reply #24 on: 29 September, 2017, 12:02:15 pm »
Local school kidnaps infants at three so they learn English. I'm glad I'm childless!

In some primaries in Wales children start school in the term they turn 4, so most are 3 when they start.

(Primary education in England and Wales is not compulsory until the term after they have turned 5.)

For the vast majority of children nursery and reception class is just structured playtime. It's not really formal education.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."