Author Topic: Convert genesis Day one disc to fixed???  (Read 4313 times)

Convert genesis Day one disc to fixed???
« on: 02 August, 2015, 12:11:16 pm »
I love my genesis  but wondered about converting it to fixed gear.  I understand that it would just be a case of undoing the freewheel and then screwing on a sprocket.  Is the hub that comes with the Genesis suitable for a locking?  Does this matter?
Is the whole idea stupid?

Re: Convert genesis Day one disc to fixed???
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2015, 05:36:28 pm »
Hi, I've got a 2014 Day One Disc and I decided to put a "disc cog" from Velosolo on the brake side, i.e. flip the wheel, take the disc rotor off and put a cog on in its place. This means you only have the front brake though, plus whatever assistance your legs can offer. There's no thread for a lock ring on the freewheel side so strictly speaking you shouldn't do down that route as backward pressure on the pedals could unscrew the cog. That said, I think unless you're a hipster trying skid stops you should be OK.

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2015, 08:30:35 pm »
Thanks
That is the same model as I have the green one.  I might give that a try.
Chris

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2015, 08:43:00 pm »
The model I have (the light blue one ... 2012?) does not have a lockring thread.

I run mine fixed, and I don't really worry about the lack of lockring.  If you are riding it as a fixed off-roader and/or are a really heavy leg-braking/fixie-skidding type rider, that might not suit you, but I'm neither of the above, so I'm perfectly happy without.

My previous fixed bike did have lockring threads but I actively chose not to put one on there.  I'd read pros and cons somewhere, and came down on the side that it might just stop the rear wheel locking up if the chain came off in certain ways (via the sprocket unscrewing as a safety mechanism...).  Having had to unscrew a sprocket that's been up a few hills, I'm not too convinced any more that would happen anyway.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2015, 08:51:57 pm »
Aye, just put a sprocket on there - it probably won't kill you. Add some locktite if you want the reassurance, then ride it up a GBFO hill (I think that was the advice in the Fixie FAQs, but it doesn't seem to exist online anymore :()

I did have a sprocket unscrew during PBP 2011, but I just rolled to a halt without anything catastrophic happening.

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2015, 09:49:26 pm »
Thank you to all. That was pretty much my thinking. I have a suitable sprocket so will go ahead soon.
Chris

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2015, 10:13:41 pm »
Final question I think.  Which tool will I need? Or to put it another way what make is the freewheel?

« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2015, 10:18:15 pm »
For a one-off job like that, you may as well take it down the LBS rather than buying the tool. I'd expect them to have suitable tools there (though you never know).

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2015, 04:25:54 am »
I had a bit of a job getting the freewheel off when I replaced mine, ended up clamping the freewheel tool in a adjustable spanner then clamping the spanner in the jaws of a Workmate. Then I put the wheel on top, leaned on it with all my weight and twisted the wheel.

Hmmm, that's made me think that maybe having a back brake is better than having a completely locked-on sprocket. Hmmm.

« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2015, 07:11:52 am »
Which begs the question - is there any need for spacers, or is a fixed cog approximately the same width as a freewheel?

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2015, 08:41:07 am »
No need for spacers.  The fixed cog will be narrower overall than a freewheel, but the teeth are at one side - about the same place as on the freewheel.  Worth checking the chainline once you've fitted the cog as it pays to keep things approximately straight.

« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2015, 01:44:18 pm »
Thanks Chris. It's definitely straight with the disc cog, i.e. approx 51mm, but I think in hindsight I would like a back brake if only as a backup.

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2015, 09:02:10 pm »
So, I have all the bits to service my genesis including new bottom bracket,etc.  I notice on the new model photos that there is a chain tensioner screw.  My genesis does not have any way of tensioning the chain and I have always just put it into what seemed the right place and done up the nuts Super tight to stop it slipping.  Would I be better off with chain tensioners?  I certainly could not change the tyre for a roadside puncture the way I have to have it tightened at the moment.

Thanks

« Reply #13 on: 17 August, 2015, 01:06:23 pm »
I thought you had the 2014 Day One Disc, the olive coloured one? If so then there should be chain bolts. If they've gone then you can probably get replacements. If you don't have holes for the bolts then I think chain tugs would also work from the rear of the track end.

« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2015, 01:01:35 pm »
I do have the 2014 and it came without chain bolts. so i assumed it shouldn't have them.  I will set about getting some.  Thank you

In an update I have now converted it to fixed.  I am really enjoying it.  Been out a couple of times. 
It is fun getting clipped in perfectly without some loss of rhythm
Starting uphill is harder - much
You must always be in control of the pedals.  I went down a hill and thought my legs would just spin, they didn't and I had to brake hard.  Much better to actively pedal.
Takes more concentration at the moment.