Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve ends his second attempt  (Read 22893 times)

[HAMR] Steve ends his second attempt
« on: 22 January, 2016, 08:09:29 am »
This answers the questions about the last day or two. A shame but not totally unexpected.

Much respect for Steve

With great sadness, Steve Abraham has made the decision to end his second attempt on the Highest Annual Mileage World Record.

Steve's aim has always been to break the record (he didn’t want to come second, or third). After careful consideration of his current performance - and after lengthy discussions with the support team - Steve decided on Thursday 21 January 2016 that he will officially withdraw from his ongoing attempt on the Highest Annual Mileage Record.

As you can imagine, the decision to end this attempt has not been an easy one. Steve would like to thank you all for your incredible support. For now he will undertake a well earned period of rest and recovery, before deciding on any plans for the future.

Videos from Steve
Short video announcing withdrawal  https://youtu.be/OHSjqrpDNhE

Longer video with extended Q&A  https://youtu.be/x9agB46ENa8
/quote]

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
Re: Steve ends his second attempt
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:11:21 am »
He's still a legend.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:14:14 am »
Rest well Steve, Recuperate, reflect on your superb acheivement and take time to decide where to go from here.

I for one think you have made a more courageous and correct decision at this point.

Massive respect, Well Done!

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:14:48 am »
Yes, a shame, but I've no doubt it was the right decision made with careful thought.

I imagine that, mentally, this is the hardest part of such a challenge. Much respect to Steve for a brave attempt.

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:15:24 am »
Steve has nothing to reproach himself for.
An awe inspiring effort against fearsome odds.
Well done Steve and best wishes for the future whatever it may bring.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:18:06 am »
Steve, you are indeed a legend. Commiserations, mate. You deserve a rest.

PS I'm organising a bike ride with tea room & pub tomorrow. Start at Kelvedon Station at 9.30. Just saying.  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:19:30 am »
Respect, Steve. The bike will always be there.

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:22:23 am »
Steve has my great respect for everything he's done.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:24:09 am »
Steve, my enormous respect for you is hugely amplified by everything you have achieved over the past year and a bit.

You have inspired countless others to try and find their own personal limits.  You have inspired me and kept me riding in some fecking awful weather ("well if Steve can't give up and he's got twice as far to ride as me today, then I can't give up"), thanks for that, I think! ;)

You've kick-started a real resurgence of interest in long-distance competition, and whatever happens, that will always remain true.

Take care of yourself, recuperate (do some touring somewhere warm in few weeks?), and whatever you think about doing next, I wish you the very best in it and, if I can support you in that, then I will always try my best to do so.

More than ever, if you need my/our support, reach out and ask for it.  You will have a lot to work through and decompress from. If you need anything, then do not be afraid to ask for it.

See you out on the road sometime soon I hope.

Chapeau is not a big enough compliment, but for the moment it will have to do until I see you next and get a chance to shake your hand and congratulate you in person my friend.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:24:27 am »
Superb effort and bravery  :thumbsup: by Steve and in a way sad to hear this but there almost seemed to be an inevitability to this over last few weeks even months as mileage was dropping repeatedly below `required`. So all praise and kudos to Steve for an amazing effort and I wish him the very best  for a recovery time and whatever else comes his way.
[/size]
However I am very disappointed at the way the whole attempt has been overshadowed / marred by what seems to be some  poor team members  with complete lack it appears on their part to recognise value of positive publicity, keeping donors informed and meaningful updates. Compare how Alicia kept FB going with informative and amusing updates to what didn`t get communicated by the team, even up to the last FB of `Steve`s OK ` a couple of days ago. Whilst this is a private individuals attempt on the HAMR it also draws upon public donations to support it and for that very reason the team should have recognised a duty of care to donors to maintain a high publicity information stream. Enough said,
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:24:52 am »
Much respect Steve.  It was a helluva challenge and you gave it your all.  Chapeau.

« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:26:14 am »
Well done Steve. Cracking effort.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #12 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:28:32 am »
All the best Steve as you rest up; big congrats for everything you've done.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #13 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:31:21 am »
Steve you have captured the imagination of many a rider over the last year or so. Thanks for giving us a vicarious insight into ultra cycling. All the very best for the future. Don't let anyone tell you that you just didn't do enough. You've succeeded and achieved an awful lot this year.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #14 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:31:42 am »
Indeed sad.

A heroic effort through some very challenging weather conditions.

All the best for future endeavours Steve.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #15 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:32:13 am »
Congratulations to Steve for the massive achievement of riding further in a year than anyone but three others ever, for the astonishing determination of both continuing following a broken ankle, and of restarting with the concurrent attempt, and of course for actually getting validation options in place that have triggered this resurgence in interest in the year records.

Chapeau, truly.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #16 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:32:26 am »
Massive respect and glad you ended it safe and well.
Still a staggering modern times Year mileage record for UK riding that will last for many years.

Enjoy the rest and more relaxed meals.

Still time to talk to the Transcontinental organisers and go after something else you've shown interest in.
Sure they'd love to have you
Now that would be fun watching.

« Reply #17 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:33:20 am »
Well done Steve, I hope you don't beat yourself up about having to call it a day - it was a monumental effort on your part, deserving of nothing but respect.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:38:25 am »
Well done Steve — you put yourself and long-distance cycling firmly on the map and you did yourself proud!  Chapeau!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And hats off to the team — a huge effort over the past 13 months to keep Steve on the road — especially the unsung heroes and heroines who looked after him week in, week out on the home front, you especially deserve huge respect!  :thumbsup: :-*

See you on a ride out soon, mate.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #19 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:38:40 am »
Sleep well Steve, you have inspired lots of people to push themselves that little bit further.  You have also achieved something that I still cannot truly comprehend  :thumbsup:

Get some R&R - nobody deserves it more

« Reply #20 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:39:34 am »
Congratulations on everything you've achieved, and for having the bravery to make the decision to call it a day.  Much respect.

« Reply #21 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:41:54 am »
Very well done for what you achieved.  I have never met you in person but can Really feel for you having to draw the attempt to a close.  It must have been an extremely hard decision in the end; you've let no one down at all.

As far as This Thread goes; Please, Please don't let it deteriorate into another 'it could have been done so much better this way' mess!
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:42:08 am »
Well done Steve.  You're a bloody hero.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:49:12 am »
Sad decision, but the right one I think Steve.  Wishing you the best for rest, recovery and whatever the future may hold for you.

« Reply #24 on: 22 January, 2016, 08:51:05 am »
Well done Steve - well done for attempting something so unfathomably difficult, and well done for having the courage to make this decision when you have, it can't have been easy for you. Certainly got my respect, that's for sure.
Wishing you extremely good health in recovery.
Garry Broad