Author Topic: Bought any kitchen stuff today?  (Read 7579 times)

Bought any kitchen stuff today?
« on: 08 May, 2016, 03:17:18 pm »
The blade on my previous vegetable peeler snapped, after many years of use.  I bought it when I was a student, so I got quite a few good years of use out of it.

I just bought a fairly posh one from John Lewis, hoping that it will last as long as that one did.

So, what mechanical kitchen aid, new bowl, cutlery, or whatever, did you buy today?
Actually, it is rocket science.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Bought any kitchen stuff today?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2016, 03:29:44 pm »
Not today, but a couple of weeks ago I treated myself to a new knife set (a day to day set, rather than a special use set) of Global knives. The previous set I had were good, but I was completely unprepared for just how good the Global ones would be!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2016, 04:49:22 pm »
Not today but bought a jolly colourful set of measuring scoops/spoons and a RED chopping board for strawberries1 from Tiger Stores last week.

1) My other chopping boards have an indelible onion/garlic flavour.

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2016, 08:14:11 pm »
Assorted non matching paterned  melamain plates BBQ for the use of.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2016, 07:25:36 am »
one month to the new kitchen.

I shall be away  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2016, 09:59:10 am »
Kitchen re-faced  :)   Another 3 weeks until glass splashback installed  :(

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2016, 10:09:54 am »
Before  :sick:

After  ;D

Just a few odds and ends to finish off now...

tiermat

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2016, 10:39:36 am »
one month to the new kitchen.

I shall be away  ;D

Best plan! When we had ours done, we dropped the key off then went to Australia for a month. Upon return it was all finished. Fast forward a few years, to earlier this year and we got our bathroom redone. No time, or money, to go away and we hated living in the house while the work was ongoing, we were constantly hoovering and we never felt clean!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2016, 11:13:28 am »
Blimey, that's trusting.  I hate having tradesmen in the house, even when I'm in - it just sets me on edge a bit, I get nervous that they're not going to do as good as job as I want...

tiermat

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2016, 11:16:29 am »
Blimey, that's trusting.  I hate having tradesmen in the house, even when I'm in - it just sets me on edge a bit, I get nervous that they're not going to do as good as job as I want...

It was OK, my dad and older brother were the ones doing the work!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2016, 11:24:20 am »
Even if you're in, corners are often cut when you're not looking. DAMHIKT!

So glad I bought this house with almost fully functioning fitted kitchen. Saved much hassle and heartache. 1

1) I replaced washing machine when it failed. Dishwasher has failed but has remained in situ.
Giraffe replaced kitchen sink and tap electively.
Vendors left surplus floor and wall tiles for future use.
Fridge-freezer, gas hob, grill and oven seem fine.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2016, 01:16:45 pm »
The blade on my previous vegetable peeler snapped, after many years of use.  I bought it when I was a student, so I got quite a few good years of use out of it.

I just bought a fairly posh one from John Lewis, hoping that it will last as long as that one did.

So, what mechanical kitchen aid, new bowl, cutlery, or whatever, did you buy today?

Beware JosephJoseph stuffs, I find them frequently style over substance. Hence the wife always buys their crap and then I have to cook with it! ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2016, 05:35:09 pm »
One of these days I'll ask a Danish friend to get me a Raadvad peeler, to replace the one I had from my late grandmother, which got broken.

I've never had a better peeler.

« Reply #13 on: 09 May, 2016, 05:45:10 pm »
Beware JosephJoseph stuffs, I find them frequently style over substance. Hence the wife always buys their crap and then I have to cook with it! ;)

Hmm, I shall have to see.  The blade seems a lot less fragile and sharper than the one that went in the bin, and whilst it was not cheap for a peeler, it's hardly going to break the bank even if it only lasts a short while.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2016, 06:52:04 pm »
I was sorely tempted to buy another peeler by mail order but the €16.39 shipping charge put me off...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2016, 07:58:28 pm »
Before  :sick:

After  ;D

Just a few odds and ends to finish off now...

Your wall tiles are almost the same as ours, with a terracotta floor in a North facing kitchen! About the dingiest room in the house, we've lived with it for 11 years and we could still get a few years more out of it, but we've both had enough.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #16 on: 12 May, 2016, 06:56:33 am »
Ceramic Knives. Sharper than light sabres.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #17 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:07:53 am »
Graters. One is not enough.

« Reply #18 on: 18 February, 2017, 02:43:51 pm »
A juicer.  Relatively cheap, but not the cheapest I could find, since that didn't have particularly good reviews.

« Reply #19 on: 19 February, 2017, 09:08:17 am »

Hmm, I shall have to see.  The blade seems a lot less fragile and sharper than the one that went in the bin, and whilst it was not cheap for a peeler, it's hardly going to break the bank even if it only lasts a short while.

My old peeler, bought for pennies at Deptford market about 30 years ago, was obviously cheap but worked fantastically. It recently fell apart, so I replaced with a fairly expensive one from Waitrose. It's crap, un-ergonomic, blunt, produces as much juice as peel. It's gone in the bin.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #20 on: 19 February, 2017, 09:29:29 am »
Have just ordered a whole new kitchen. Being manufactured next week.  :-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 19 February, 2017, 05:13:07 pm »

My old peeler, bought for pennies at Deptford market about 30 years ago, was obviously cheap but worked fantastically. It recently fell apart, so I replaced with a fairly expensive one from Waitrose. It's crap, un-ergonomic, blunt, produces as much juice as peel. It's gone in the bin.

I still miss the RAADVAD Danish peeler I inherited from my late grandmother. Excellent ergonomics, very sharp. Don't ask what happened to it...

« Reply #22 on: 19 February, 2017, 05:38:00 pm »

So far, the Joseph-Joseph one has worked well, so hopefully it'll continue to do so.

ian

« Reply #23 on: 19 February, 2017, 06:10:02 pm »
I finally bought a spiralizer (and a mandoline, though I'm quite good slicing with a kitchen knife so this might be a marginal gain). I sense a dark door opening for vegetables in my kitchen. Scream, carrot, scream.

« Reply #24 on: 19 February, 2017, 08:06:50 pm »
Depending on the mandoline design they can probably comfort themselves with the thought that at some point your fingertips will also be for the chop...