Author Topic: Chrome not responding  (Read 1494 times)

Chrome not responding
« on: 29 September, 2015, 11:15:51 am »
This last week Chrome is constantly saying "not responding" is it just us or are you having trouble too?

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Re: Chrome not responding
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2015, 11:31:37 am »
Definitely not widespread.

Have you tried rebooting your computer? Can you browse the internet successfully from another browser?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2015, 11:33:30 am »
That was my problem last week - did the upgrade to Windows 10 and everything is OK now.

Afasoas

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2015, 12:07:43 pm »
If you have lots of tabs open, suggest closing them all. It's often just java script or other browser based animation that's causing it.
Check for surreptitiously installed plugins.
Run a Malware Bytes scan: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »
I'd consider changing your browser. Chrome was a game changer when it came out but it seems to
have picked up a lot of unfixed bugs.

I moved back to IE a couple of months back (not something I ever expected to type!) and not had a problem since.

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2015, 09:50:39 pm »
I'm having the same problem. Had it too when I switched to Firefox. I wonder if installing Windows 10 will solve it?

Afasoas

« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2015, 11:35:39 pm »
I'm having the same problem. Had it too when I switched to Firefox. I wonder if installing Windows 10 will solve it?

Depends what the underlying problem is. Check you haven't got any dodgy/unnecessary extensions running. Some malware will install plugins to multiple browsers depending on how the payload was delivered. How do other devices perform on your home network?

Support forty users who run Chrome with generally very few complaints. It is still a fast browser, although has an appetite for memory like a Labrador for bacon.

My only concerns with Chrome are the big brother elements.

« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2015, 01:21:56 pm »
Rebooting achieved no change.

Normally under five tabs open and most often less than three. Very few extensions in place.

Am seriously considering changing to Maxthon as have been trialling it for some  months now and no issues to be seen so fat at least.

PH

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2015, 02:34:25 pm »
Any browser can stop responding for a while when the PC and operating system it's running on is messed up or busy.  Chrome is generally reliable for me, although I'm mostly using Pale Moon instead.  Even the much moaned-about Internet Explorer works fine these days.

Maxthon uses the same layout engine as Chrome's (or Internet Explorer's for some sites).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:11:55 pm »
Messed up or busy?

I have run umpteen scans of various ilks and all say clean. Our anti virus is Avast, the paid for one. The computer ticks over really, the odd DL, bit of word processing or spreadsheeting not at the same time though and thats about it so not pushed as in gaming. Processor says undewr 10% most of the time.

So...... as far as I can make out it is Chrome that is screwing around with us. We are fed up as we need to read mails for the business and you open one and get the bloody "chrome not responding" message. Sick of it really.

PH

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2015, 09:33:44 pm »
There's something messed up in your computer's operating system installation for Chrome not to work because Chrome is working for the rest if us.  It might be ridiculously difficult to work out what, so of course use a different browser instead (and Thunderbird for email if you fancy a better email interface).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Afasoas

« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2015, 12:05:48 am »
CPU usage is just one of the resources Chrome uses.
It also relies on network (bandwidth and latency), hard disk for caching and memory.

It could be an antivirus product that is causing the slow down. Or a poor network connection.

If its only happened in the last week, something has changed to cause this issue.

I would first try pinging Google.

Windows key + R
Ping /t 8.8.8.8
Enter

That will ping continuously until you interrupt it with ctrl+c

You are looking for ping times fairly consistently under 50ms
Try it with Chrome open and Chrome closed.

If those pings are okay, we will check your DNS is resolving quickly and reliably. Then check.your download speeds.are.reasonable. If that checks out, we can move onto other possible causes.

Who are you relying on for email?

« Reply #12 on: 02 October, 2015, 07:48:21 am »
No difference with Chrome open or closed. usually 15 or 16ms with the odd 30.

We are on Virgin cable and the DL speed is 150 or so.

Mail is Google mail.

Thanks.

PH

« Reply #13 on: 02 October, 2015, 07:57:29 am »
I would suspect a bad script on one of the sites you visit regularly. You could also try cleaning out all your cache with CCleaner.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Afasoas

« Reply #14 on: 02 October, 2015, 09:08:27 am »
Okay, the network seems fine.
Have you confirmed the download speed with a speed test?

Is it the whole browser that's unresponsive or just a particular tab?

If there is a problem with your machine, going to need to obtain some more information to try and diagnose it. You say you've run several scans, so I'll ignore that angle for now. Although if you haven't already, I'd suggest running a scan with the free version of Malware Byte Anti-virus - which has been the most comprehensive scanner I've used.

I'm wondering if you can collate the following details for me, some of which will need emailing - I'll PM you shortly with my email address:

What version of Chrome are you running? (type these addresses into the address/search bar)
chrome://chrome/

What extensions are you using?
chrome://extensions

What plugins do you have installed?
chrome://plugins

Okay, Chrome generates all sorts of useful telemetry that might give an indication of what is going on.
Visit: chrome://histograms
Save the page as a html file (right click, save as) and email it to me. I'll pm you my email address in a few ...

Please also do:
<windows key> + <r>
msinfo32.exe <enter>
Click "File" -> "Export..."
Save the file somewhere
Email the file to me.

If this doesn't turn up what the problem is, then I suspect it's related to the tabs you have open at the time the problem occurs. In which case, we can look profile Chrome and also look at doing a network traffic capture, whilst Chrome isn't responding.

« Reply #15 on: 02 October, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
Thing is, Chrome tries to be helpful. So if the issue is some page you loaded before, Chrome might well be trying to pre-fetch or pre-load the page. Particularly if you have something like 'on start, load my previous tabs' selected.

To get round this, try starting in incognito mode (see here for instructions http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/google-chrome-safe-mode.html)

If that works ok, you know there is nothing wrong with your copy of chrome. Then try closing it and starting as normal.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 02 October, 2015, 09:58:26 am »
DL speed is 152.74 from speed checker.

Need to work rooms for a bit so more to come and will email.

PH

Afasoas

« Reply #17 on: 02 October, 2015, 01:21:47 pm »
Email received and reply sent via PM.