Author Topic: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale, 200km - (PBP) - £1. Tewkesbury, Jan 3rd.  (Read 17872 times)

Spend a day at the sales, whilst out on your bike. Route specifically  chosen for potential winter conditions. Hot & cold food/drink available at all controls, just in case the day's a bit on the chilly side.
The first stage heads north from Tewkesbury along Worcestershire lanes for a breakfast stop at Rowberry's Nursery. Then quiet rural roads through 'Shakespear's County' and lunch at M40 services (Warwick South). The rest of the ride is spent in the Cotswolds with an afternoon stop at The Old Mill Cafe in Chipping Norton. after a few more undulations the final part of enjoying The Cotswolds is descending Soudley hill to Winchcombe - The ancient capital of Mercia. The final dozen kilometers are a gentle traverse across The Severn Vale back to Tha Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury, where Mr. Pickwick drank too much ale.

For consistancey routesheet/track files supplied on this event page.

Paypal entry available.

I don't know how so much cycling entertainment can be crammed-into one ride for only a pound.

if you use GPS - route/track files supplied. Routesheet also supplied electronicly (MS Xls) - so no need for route-return SAE.

The controls are aware of - and are looking forward to your visit, so please support them by buying something, because without their support - events would not happen.

At this time of year, the temperature a likely to be quite low - so please do not compromise yourself by not eating. The controls are fairly evenly spaced - and on some stages you're unlikely to find establishments to buy snacks between controls. This ride probably requires cyclists to snack at the controls, rather than eat huge ammounts at the first - and then bounce every control aftrwards. Cyclists have tried this, and afterwards commented that they made a mistake in adopting this option. You have been made aware.

The ride is due to start promptly at 7:00 a.m. from the Gloucester Road carpark, 

We're now in GMT, you will probably need lights for the first half hour (or so) of the ride, and again for the latter part of the day.

As for B&Bs in the area, it is probably best that you use Google to search for your requirements, Or try Tewkesbury Tourist information centrehttp://www.outofthehat.org.uk/, 

There's both Premier Innhttp://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/TEWBRE/tewkesburyand Travelodgehttp://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/401/Tewkesbury-hotel both about a mile from the start, (both on M5J9),

The JD Wetherspoon (also the arrivee) in the centre of Tewkesbury is also a hotelhttp://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/hotels/the-royal-hop-pole

For the campers, there's a camp site 10 - 15 minutes from the start, quite a few cyclists have used it in the past - and have rated quite highly.http://www.croftfarmleisure.co.uk/ Please be aware that we're well into the winter season, so although they will be open, the site may look a little derelict.

Good weather has once again been ordered for the day, hopefully this will enable us all to take-in the marvelous views throughout the day,

For the technophiles amongst us the event page athttp://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-395/ has zipped "gpx routes" of the ride. 20111210a, b,c,d & e (.GPX) are the individual stages of the ride. And 20111210.gpx is the entire route. These files are the same as last year's - and have last year's date reference, but please don't panic - the route is the same as last year's.

Please note these has been generated with maximum definition for profiling purposes. And as such probably has too many track points for most GPS units, it is a relatively simple task to reduce this to a number suitable for your unit. First of all, save the file attached to your hard drive. You then need to go to the Bikehike website (other sites may also offer this service). And once on the create route page, upload the file. Once uploaded, click on the options box, and enter the number of points you wish to reduce to. Then click reduce, you can then down load this file to your hard drive and then to your GPS, I don't think it's possible to download direct to your GPS from the web site with some of the older GPS units - as for the modern units, I can't comment.

The bikehike site also has features  which enables :- Simultaneous course creation on Google and Ordnance Survey maps. Upload and download of routes to and from GPS units (GPX, TCX, KML and TRL formats). Upload & download directly to a Garmin GPS unit using the Garmin Communicator Plugin. Interactive elevation profile - hover or click on the elevation graph to see corresponding route point. Toggle between elevation and gradient view on elevation graph. UK postcode and place name search. Auto routing on the Google map. Add coursepoints to aid navigation. Add points of interest to add information to routes. Distance and elevation data continuously calculated for your route. Course editing facilities - including Google style route dragging. Printable courses on both Google and OS maps.

The event pagealso hosts a copy of the route sheet, this is also zipped and is a MS Excel file, please be sure to print-off all sheets.

If you're going to utilise them, please use the files that best suit your machine, and I leave you to make that decision.

Please note - the A438 between Tewkesbury and Ledbury (bridge under the M50) is closed to motorised traffic, but it is passable to pedestrians. So you will need to dismount and push your bicycle. Thank you to all that have brought this to my attention, I've been using a divert through Longdon Marsh - as it makes very little difference to my journey times.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: Mr. Pickwick's January Sale, 200km - (PBP) - £1. Tewkesbury, Jan 3rd.
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2014, 06:11:35 pm »
I shall be there  ;D
Does not play well with others

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2014, 06:17:22 pm »
I will be there too.  :thumbsup: Such a Sale I could not resist
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »
Is this the one where there's an incredibly long stretch on the A361 into Chipping Norton?

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2014, 08:30:05 pm »
Ah yes!  Really enjoyed this last year, so will be entering & leaving the Poor Student for an anti-clockwise summer DIY :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2014, 11:32:19 pm »
Is this the one where there's an incredibly long stretch on the A361 into Chipping Norton?

Er ...If your idea of "an incredibly long stretch along the A361 to Chipping Norton" is more than 1 km,  then - yes, this is the one.

If not, then no - isn't.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2014, 07:26:43 am »
This is the one with the gurt big puddles. I'll be there.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2014, 08:31:21 am »

Er ...If your idea of "an incredibly long stretch along the A361 to Chipping Norton" is more than 1 km,  then - yes, this is the one.

If not, then no - isn't.
that would be the Upper Thames.  But even then, 3km seems likes about 10 at that point!
(all routes to ChippingN seem endless. Fact.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2014, 09:06:19 am »
This event is just plain weird! Or at least it seems that way to me.

It leaves Tewkesbury and heads (what is for me) straight back home, stopping at Rowberry’s not too far from where I live. Then heads to Warwick passing within a couple of miles of my Mother-in-law’s home where my wife spends Saturdays caring for her.

Mind you on the upside this is one of the best (if not the best) planned routes for winter riding, plotting a pleasant course but for the most part on gritted and quiet B roads.

Not to mention the only genuine January sale I would have anything to do with. 

« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2014, 09:37:48 am »
I'll be there, I hope (considering my current string of DNSs  :-[ ). Weather permitting and if I can still move after Xmas at mum's...

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2014, 10:01:36 am »
Not sure about this one yet, the last section from Chipping Norton always batters me.
Still not happy with my brakes, on a descent like the one into Winchcombe I'd have the stopping distance of a container ship.

I usually enter anyway cos it's only a quid to burn off some turkey and booze.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2014, 10:18:29 am »
Still not happy with my brakes, on a descent like the one into Winchcombe I'd have the stopping distance of a container ship.

Rob I must confess I had very much the same concerns particularly at this time of year but since switching to a disc brake setup for winter rides all those concerns have been ended.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2014, 10:19:53 am »
I'm using disc brakes.
PM'd you!
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2014, 10:51:50 am »
I'm using disc brakes.
PM'd you!
Replied (I think) I got attacked by my daft Golden retriever while replying.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #14 on: 07 December, 2014, 10:53:49 am »

That'll teach you to buy disco brakes at Aldi.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2014, 11:10:14 am »
Hey Maud, those Aldi ones sound like they might worth a shot, do they have flashing lights?
              Up to my neck in pain"

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 07 December, 2014, 11:12:49 am »
D-I-S-C-O!

You get one of they sparkly balls....... For your ceiling.

Special Non Stop Disco brakes.

« Reply #17 on: 07 December, 2014, 11:16:57 am »

A very apt comparison

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #18 on: 07 December, 2014, 11:48:15 am »
Thanks. (I think?)

Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #19 on: 07 December, 2014, 02:18:56 pm »
Don't thank me  :demon:

« Reply #20 on: 07 December, 2014, 04:43:02 pm »
This was the scene on the River Isbourne earlier, near to where castle street / High Street junction. Now you know why the traffic's grid-locked in Winchcombe.

http://youtu.be/Ufx5x1ZLmec

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #21 on: 07 December, 2014, 09:20:41 pm »
This was the scene on the River Isbourne earlier, near to where castle street / High Street junction. Now you know why the traffic's grid-locked in Winchcombe.

arrivé  ???
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #22 on: 08 December, 2014, 12:08:39 am »

arrivé  ???
Possibly, but generally finishers tend to make a bit more noise, a bit like this Turkish Delight http://youtu.be/POdyvGTlkaQ   ;D

BAIRDY, get yer brakes sorted - this could soon get you a reputation.  ;)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #23 on: 08 December, 2014, 12:19:49 am »

BAIRDY, get yer brakes sorted - this could soon get you a reputation.  ;)

Brian recons that they stick on when I'm going uphill...some cheeky bastards round here.
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #24 on: 08 December, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »
I am in.which means Mark will have to endure a long evening in the hop pole waiting for me to bring the lantern rouge in 

The sacrifices made by organizers knows no bounds :-)

PS 36 hours is up and the hostages still not released.