Author Topic: How much weight is actually lost on a ride?  (Read 3299 times)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
How much weight is actually lost on a ride?
« on: 10 December, 2012, 12:51:18 pm »
I guess this is really difficult to answer, so many factors to consider but yesterday I weighed myself when I woke up, had breakfast and went out and rode 58km. Once home out of interest I weighed myself again - I had lost 3lbs. I had drunk around 750ml of juice (water and orange juice mix) and according to my bike computer had burned 1119 calories during the ride. My clothes were quite damp with sweat.

Is the majority of the weight loss due to dehydration?

I was wondering if there was a formula or rule-of-thumb that predicts how much fat is burnt?

Gibbo.

Re: How much weight is actually lost on a ride?
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »
Is the majority of the weight loss due to dehydration?

Yes.

I don't think it's possible to equate a singe ride/run/workout with a specific weight loss.

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2012, 01:05:24 pm »
Fat is about 3500kcals per pound.

You burn it at around 400kcals an hour (depending on how hard you ride).

I typically lose about 0.5-1 pound in weight per 100km ridden.  However, that usually happens 3-4 days after the ride.

You can't get an accurate reading for a few days because of food/fluid intake during the ride plus the effects of dehydration.

So, if I rode a 200km on Sunday, I'd expect top lose 2 pounds by around thursday (after an initial weight gain due to Cakeage)..

200km = approx 12 hours for me, so that's around 5000kcals extra burned off on the ride (and I think you get some residual calorie burn as your body repairs itself.

« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2012, 01:43:50 pm »
Hmmmm.
I beg to differ, Mr Metcalfe. I'm doing a 200km ride every week at the moment and I sure as heckers am not losing 1kg every week. You'd be hearing the cheers if I were.
I still say- it is impossible to say you lost nkg on a specific ride/run/workout.

« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2012, 01:51:23 pm »
Depends how much you eat obviously. If a ride makes you really hungry and you pig out afterwards or you guzzle energy bars and drinks all the way round you wont loose much weight. All you can work out is how many calories a ride will burn.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 10 December, 2012, 02:23:36 pm »
Surely glycogen is burnt before fat?
It is simpler than it looks.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2012, 03:08:18 pm »
When I go for a 100km jaunt on Sunday afternoon taking 4 1/2 hours, I usually shower immediately afterwards. The bathroom scales always show I am 2kg down on my usual weight.

I would guess that I am burning calories at 400/hour and half are supplied by fat.

200 calories * 4.5 hours is 900.  900 / 7700 is 116 grammes

So my weight loss isn't fat!  It's a tiny amount of fat, which I would guess I regain very quickly, some carbohydrate reserves and mostly water.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »

It is, mostly, depending on the intensity of riding and fitness of rider.

There's about 400 grams of glycogen, tied up to over a litre of water. Use up all of that and you're around 2kg down before you start significant fat burning. 400g glycogen is only about 1600kcal though...

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2012, 03:11:49 pm »
Hmmmm.
I beg to differ, Mr Metcalfe. I'm doing a 200km ride every week at the moment and I sure as heckers am not losing 1kg every week. You'd be hearing the cheers if I were.
I still say- it is impossible to say you lost nkg on a specific ride/run/workout.

Looking at the weight loss graphs, something changed 8 weeks ago, and your weight has been on a downward trend since then. It is enough of a step change that my trend line doohickey decided to record a split and draw two trend lines (it's a bit crude, TBF). What changed then?

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 11 December, 2012, 03:27:48 pm »

Yes.  It's all calories though. Glycogen needs replenishing from somewhere.

Providing your intake remains the same (Let's face it, there's a lot of "over-rewarding" that takes place after Audax rides) then any extra exercise will result in weight-loss.

If you burn an extra 7000 calories on long Sunday ride and over-eat ("reward"?) 7000 calories from Monday to Saturday then you won' t lose weight.

The trick is eating "normally" and exercising "abnormally". 

Losing weight is fairly straightforward maths + will power.  I've got the maths figured, I'm working on the second part.

simonp

« Reply #10 on: 11 December, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »
Sounds like an over-simplification to me. Your metabolism can change as a result of exercise, and as a result of weight loss. This tends to be borne out by estimates of weight loss through changing intake or output being overly optimistic as you stabilise at a higher weight than expected.

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 11 December, 2012, 03:57:35 pm »
Sounds like an over-simplification to me. Your metabolism can change as a result of exercise, and as a result of weight loss. This tends to be borne out by estimates of weight loss through changing intake or output being overly optimistic as you stabilise at a higher weight than expected.

Yes, you may burn less calories to achieve the same results as you get fitter/lighter but that just changes what your "normal" calorie intake should be.

Morbidly Obese people tend to burn a lot of calories just "existing".  On a diet program they can (initially) shift huge amount of weight because of this.

A 7000 calorie deficit still needs to come from somewhere though, no matter how fit you are or how fast/slow your metabolism.  It may take a fit person a lot more miles to burn it than a morbidly obese person though.

There are many variables but, simply, if you are putting on weight then you are eating more calories than you are using and, if you are in deficit by 500kcals a day then you will tend to lose 1pound a week.

« Reply #12 on: 11 December, 2012, 08:30:54 pm »
Hmmmm.

Looking at the weight loss graphs, something changed 8 weeks ago, and your weight has been on a downward trend since then. It is enough of a step change that my trend line doohickey decided to record a split and draw two trend lines (it's a bit crude, TBF). What changed then?
Ask Dr Mekon- I'm on his oaty plan  :D. I'm counting calories and doing daily circuit training. I think you'll find the new season, bike, and blatent points chasing started earlier than that- and I'm not losing a kilo a week.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 11 December, 2012, 10:33:27 pm »
Surely the obvious answer to how much weight is lost on a ride is "none".

(Not strictly true for me, but any weight loss seems to come from the digestive effects of cycling rather than actual fat burning.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 11 December, 2012, 11:47:08 pm »
The amount of fat burned on a ride is vanishingly small but almost every Calorie counts in the end. Anything else which is used will be replaced in the long term.

8-10 hours' cycling will burn about a pound of fat if you eat nothing. In reality, you'll eat about half that on the day you ride and need a will of iron not to eat the remainder over the following week.

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 13 December, 2012, 09:46:22 am »
The amount of fat burned on a ride is vanishingly small but almost every Calorie counts in the end. Anything else which is used will be replaced in the long term.

8-10 hours' cycling will burn about a pound of fat if you eat nothing. In reality, you'll eat about half that on the day you ride and need a will of iron not to eat the remainder over the following week.

Not if you cycle for 10 hours it isn't vanishingly small..  At Audax/touring pace (i.e. not racing) you're probably getting 70% of your energy from fat reserves.  It really doesn't matter, from a weight-loss perspective whether you are getting your calories from fat or carbs.  Carbs will get replaced by metabolising fat.  It's just important to burn more calories than you eat.

The process of just existing on a sofa burns about 2000 calories a day for a man.  Cycling for 10 hours requires extra calories than merely existing.  So you don't have to eat nothing.  You can still eat your 2000 calories to support your sofa existence. 10 hours extra effort will take care of many more calories.  Personally I find it impossible to eat as many EXTRA calories as I burn off on a long ride.

When I'm in RRTY mode and also cycling most days I find it almost impossible not to lose weight. 

I gained 2 stone in the year after PBP.  I knew I would.  I stopped cycling and ate more.

I stopped eating so much in August and lost a stone.

When I start RRTY again I'll lose even more weight (Between 1-2 pounds in the days following a 200km, Maybe slightly less than a pound but in that area ).

It's simple Calories-In:Calories-Out maths.  People just need to find out how many Calories-In they (or their "metabolism") REALLY need then metabolism becomes a moot point.  Lots of people kid themselves with the "slow-metabolism" thing.  What they actually mean is it's too slow to deal with the amount they are eating.  Therefore "Slow-metabolism" = "Eating too much". There's no way around it.

A slow metabolism is a good thing isn't it?  Food is expensive.

To the OP.  I guess the answer is "It depends".  If you maintain similar Calories-In following your ride then you will lose weight, maybe a pound for a 8-10 hour  ride (maybe more, maybe less).  If you pig-out and over-reward yourself you may not lose anything or you may gain weight.

Do the math (as they say over there).

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #16 on: 13 December, 2012, 10:02:28 am »
My rule of thumb is that - if I mind my diet - by which I mean eat sensibly/efficiently and don't binge after - a cold/winter 200km  is worth a pound of lard in terms of calories burnt on the day and the raised metabolic effect over the following days.

It's a funny thing but when I'm in the (audax) zone, I eat less/am less hungry then I do when I'm not, and I weigh a lot less too. I've enough empirical evidence regarding these two facts to suggest that audax should be available on the NHS as an anti-obesity measure. "Ah yes, Mr O.Tea, take a 200km once a week and a belt for your trousers. The belt is to deal with the side affects of the riding; these include problems of balance and falls caused by your trousers falling down due to weight loss."

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #17 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:21:12 pm »
I tend not to loose weight on a ride, I drink to much fluid. But 2-3 days later  I might be 1/2kg lighter after a 2 or 300 km ride.

Does any one have a formula that I can use to calculate how much energy my body approx. will burn.
I know my Garmin have it and I got it to calculate precisely after I knew what my VO2- max was.

I have searched online but failed to find it.

http://www.tribology-abc.com/calculators/cycling.htm found a energy comsumption calculator. :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 19 December, 2012, 03:19:34 pm »
You cannot equate calories burned with weight loss.  There is not direct comparison unless you take into account the balance between glycogen and fat burned, calorie intake in the form of food during the ride, balance between fluid used/lost and taken in, level of exercise etc.  This is a complicated equation and I would suggest that those that advocate weight loss being primarily due to fluid imbalance are probably correct.

BTW, I am not sure it is correct to say you burn XXX calories extra whilst cycling.  I think it is not likely that burn that number in total, which includes those calories required merely to stay alive.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 19 December, 2012, 03:27:52 pm »
'Just staying alive' approximates to 80kcal/hour for a woman and 100 for a man. These are easy to subtract from other estimates of calorie consumption.

« Reply #20 on: 19 December, 2012, 03:37:03 pm »
BTW, I am not sure it is correct to say you burn XXX calories extra whilst cycling.  I think it is not likely that burn that number in total, which includes those calories required merely to stay alive.
All the calculations I've ever seen are of extra calories, not including the basal metabolic rate.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897