Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 167252 times)

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
Re: Didcot
« Reply #900 on: 01 December, 2018, 11:52:40 pm »
Didcot has become Hollywood??!!

https://reportglobalnews.com/2018/11/judge-dredd-publisher-rebellion-to-open-oxfordshire-film-studio/

Wow!

At least something useful has come out of the Daily Mail.

Does that mean the bit outside the studio shall henceforth be known as "the Cursed Earth", populated only by mutants?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #901 on: 02 December, 2018, 06:24:04 am »
Didcot has become Hollywood??!!

https://reportglobalnews.com/2018/11/judge-dredd-publisher-rebellion-to-open-oxfordshire-film-studio/

Wow!

At least something useful has come out of the Daily Mail.

Does that mean the bit outside the studio shall henceforth be known as "the Cursed Earth", populated only by mutants?

Think you’ll need to persuade the mutants to move out of the Orchard Centre first ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #902 on: 02 December, 2018, 02:33:38 pm »
More worryingly, that leaves a dangerous concentration of Bile Duct unaccounted for...

ETA: It moved to Thurrock, apparently.  Makes sense.
The bile moved to Thurrock, or the film industry did??

(Hopefully the former,  cos I don't give a monkeys about Thurrock. They can start their own thread! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #903 on: 02 December, 2018, 03:45:04 pm »
More worryingly, that leaves a dangerous concentration of Bile Duct unaccounted for...

ETA: It moved to Thurrock, apparently.  Makes sense.
The bile moved to Thurrock, or the film industry did??

(Hopefully the former,  cos I don't give a monkeys about Thurrock. They can start their own thread! )

Yeah, the bile...

« Reply #904 on: 14 March, 2019, 11:20:04 am »
New Thames road bridge Didcot - Culham, at 'Appleford', looks like it's happening...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

« Reply #905 on: 20 March, 2019, 07:58:51 am »
Since his television contract was cancelled Thomas the Tank engine has fallen on hard times. He had to leave Sodor after an unfortunate incident with a fork lift and is now addicted to diesel and living in a siding at Didcot.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #906 on: 12 July, 2019, 07:59:04 am »
I’ve just noticed that they have cut down loads of trees on the approach to Didcot. This means that he power station is returned to its former dominance, albeit only being half as good as it used to be.

Sunny, with a light covering of fluffy clouds.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #907 on: 14 August, 2019, 12:04:41 pm »
The power station won't be dominant much longer. The remaining towers are to be exploderised this Sunday, 18th August, at 06:00.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #908 on: 16 August, 2019, 09:57:41 am »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #909 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:02:42 pm »
I'd forgotten about the boilerhouse collapse.  :(

I wonder how long they'll leave that chimney up?

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #910 on: 16 August, 2019, 05:20:05 pm »

Didcot Herald says:

"The cooling towers will be brought down on Sunday, August 18, while the chimney will be demolished separately 'later in the autumn.'

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #911 on: 16 August, 2019, 07:16:33 pm »
We watched the first set go down (with about 200 other people!) from the handy little hill on our estate. You could have got a little closer, but for more a lot of effort and not as nice a seat. It was great fun and quite a spectacle - thouroughly recommended if you are in the area!

I MIGHT pop-up to the Clumps for these ones - it's a very scenic spot, but quite a way further from the towers. Will monitor the forecast ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #912 on: 16 August, 2019, 07:30:12 pm »

I MIGHT pop-up to the Clumps for these ones - it's a very scenic spot, but quite a way further from the towers. Will monitor the forecast ...

We used to go up them Wittenham Clumps in an orange Reliant Robin to take acid just before dawn when the towers were almost built - it was quite far out actually

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #913 on: 16 August, 2019, 09:29:38 pm »
Wittenham Clumps, orange Reliant Robin, part-built cooling towers, just before dawn? You must have needed the acid to attain a modicum of normality!

PaulF

« Reply #914 on: 18 August, 2019, 08:03:45 am »
I’m about 10 miles from Didcot.

Just as the towers went down our electricity went off.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #915 on: 18 August, 2019, 08:57:38 am »
Went to Newbury yesterday and I took the back road from Wantage. Glanced across at the top of Chain Hill saw the 3 remaining towers and wondered when they were going to knock them down.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #916 on: 18 August, 2019, 09:00:37 am »

Splodey pylon, with spectators legging it - possibly a drone involved?
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17844597.drone-hit-pylon-didcot-power-station-came/

edit.

Arcing cable flashes then an exploding transformer in this vid...  https://twitter.com/i/status/1162989415649685504

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #917 on: 18 August, 2019, 09:06:25 am »
BBC just mentioned the cloud of dust started a fire on the pylon. I could understand that from the chimney, although the dust would have to be quite dense to do that, but from a cooling tower? Unless it was coal dust from the ground I can't see how it happened.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #918 on: 18 August, 2019, 11:33:59 am »
Could have been oscillation causing the wires to touch or at least come close enough to arc.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #919 on: 18 August, 2019, 02:49:27 pm »

Sorry about that.

Everything in Didcot went off as well. We walked home from watching it and thought "an awful lot of house alarms are going off - why is that?", and then found we'd all lost power!

As planned, I went straight out on my bike. Managed about 90mins before an absolute soaking, but that's another (less interesting) story. It were a reet nice ride from about 10am onwards :)

This is exactly the same view that we had:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-49375917
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

PaulF

« Reply #920 on: 18 August, 2019, 03:05:32 pm »
That’s ok, I’m not holding you personally responsible :)

Power in our village is so unreliable I thought it was one of our regular outages and just a coincidence.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #921 on: 18 August, 2019, 03:11:34 pm »
That's very decent of you. There were a couple of hundred of us who stood back and did absolutely nothing to stop it. In fact most of us cheered and clapped.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #922 on: 18 August, 2019, 03:43:06 pm »
Did the dust cloud nucleate the rain fall?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #923 on: 18 August, 2019, 05:54:01 pm »
Did the dust cloud nucleate the rain fall?
That's a lovely idea! But I'd say the wind direction was wrong (i.e. the dust blew rapidly to the NE, and the rain front came from a fairly standard SW direction). Could be wrong though!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #924 on: 18 August, 2019, 08:01:35 pm »
Oxford Mail reporting flying debris striking the pylon, well inside spectator area.
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17844787.didcot-power-station-demolition-debris-hit-power-cables/