Author Topic: Silly question about PBP registration  (Read 4203 times)

Silly question about PBP registration
« on: 05 November, 2018, 11:42:07 am »
I'm sure this might seem like a silly question to many but I can't work out the answer by myself, so here I go!

For a number of different reasons, I was unable to take part in a PBP 'pre-qualifier' this year. Can I still register for PBP despite this as long as I complete the required BRM SR or is a 2018 pre-qualifier an essential element of the process?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Silly question about PBP registration
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:48:41 am »
If there are still entries available after pre-qualified riders have entered, then you can enter PBP. Assuming you're able to enter, you need to have completed a qualifying BRM SR prior to starting PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:55:18 am »
That's great, thank you  :)

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2018, 12:20:59 pm »
It looks like you have to wait until either the 1st or 18th of June (?) to find out if there are places left...

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2018, 07:33:35 pm »
It looks like you have to wait until either the 1st or 18th of June (?) to find out if there are places left...

And by which time you should have done 3/4 of your SR (and possibly all of it) but you may not have all of the ACP Brevet numbers to [be able to] enter [them into the system] by then.

Edited for clarity.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2018, 07:47:44 pm »
Nobody needs to have completed all their qualifiers before they enter PBP, regardless of pre-qualification.

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2018, 09:14:59 pm »
No-one has suggested that, but a useful reminder. I've clarified my post as it could have been misunderstood.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2018, 11:53:12 am »
Post 2 in 'Paris–Brest–Paris in 2019 – what steps to get there?' thread https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107987.0 was (with my [edit] minor additions):
To ride PBP next year:
1. In the early months of next year (2019), enter and pay the deposit amount [pre-registration].  The date when you can enter varies by what you do this year, see below.
2. To then qualify for your entry, ride an SR series in the specific time-windows for your country — they must be PBP-qualifying rides, which in the UK is all those of "BRM" status.  The time-windows for the UK are given here:  http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/, but they're different for different national homologating bodies.
3. Finally pay the balance of the entry fee, once you've qualified [registration].
4. Turn up the day before to register (Saturday) [bike check, ID check and admin]
5. Turn up on the day to ride (Sunday for most riders).

Plenty more info here:  http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/.
And from that page:
"Registration is not the same as pre-registration
"Registration will open on 1 June 2019."
From the ACP flyer:
"The registration period begins on June 1 and ends on July 3, 2019. Registrations can only be made through the PBP web site.
"You can register before having completed the qualifying brevets, but you need to provide the missing brevet certification numbers before July 3 or your registration will be cancelled."
Good luck (and I hope that "a number of different reasons" don't stop you riding next year).

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:18:55 pm »
 http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/
Given the current understandable angst with regard to the availability of places, I think (for accuracy, the avoidance of doubt and for increased clarity) there might be some merit in amending the page above which says:
"Registration
Registration is not the same as pre-registration
Registration will open on 1 June 2019.
If you pre-registered you need start the registration process before 18 June 2019 or the benefit of your pre-registration will be lost.
You can start the registration process before having completed the qualifying rides but you will need to provide any missing homologation numbers before Registration closes on 3 July 2019."

to:

"Registration
Registration is not the same as pre-registration
Registration will open on 25 May 2019 for those who have pre-registered and on 20 June 2019 for those who have not.
If you pre-registered you need start the registration process before 18 June 2019 or the benefit of your pre-registration will be lost.
You can start the registration process before having completed the qualifying rides but you will need to provide any missing homologation numbers before Registration closes on 3 July 2019."

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:34:33 pm »
Looking at the current French documents I believe the "18 June" date should also be 20 June 2019. There's an "18 June 2015" on the ACP brochure that seems to have been half corrected by whoever drafted the AUK page.

(although it would be nice if there were a window when pre-registered riders could switch to released better starting slots before the great unwashed nabs them...)

« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2019, 08:18:04 pm »
I have a question, which I'm a little embarrassed to ask; I was only able to do a few rides last year. The only one in my AUK results listing for last season which has an ACP number is the Easter Arrow which I rode. When I use that number to try and pre-register, the PBP website says it is not valid. If it isn't valid, I can accept that and will resign myself to the prospect of not getting a place this year - remaining entries are very thin on the ground as I write this; there's a small part of me which hopes that something might not be quite right though and I thought that I would ask here for a definitive answer, as I can't find guidance anywhere else.

Should the ACP brevet number which I have for my Easter Arrow provide me with the ability to pre-register?

Thanks!

Dan.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2019, 08:32:57 pm »
The Easter Arrow doesn't count towards PBP. Only the standard 200, 300, etc brevets.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2019, 08:43:03 pm »
Not a silly question though, since logically 360km [and probably more] in 24 hours is right there on the BRM minimum of 15kph, Arrows just aren't permitted by the ACP rules. Commiserations Dan.

You can still enjoy being there, it's a great experience just doing that [maybe ride from Dieppe/Ouistreham with others] and help/hang out at the start. I know of one AUK who is doing this - due to circumstances [recent motherhood].

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2019, 03:19:16 pm »
  [maybe ride from Dieppe/Ouistreham with others] and help/hang out at the start. I know of one AUK who is doing this - due to circumstances [recent motherhood].

Hmm.
*thinks*
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.