Author Topic: Tacx iMagic Turbo Trainer Calibration  (Read 4219 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Tacx iMagic Turbo Trainer Calibration
« on: 13 January, 2009, 10:35:15 pm »
I've been using an iMagic trainer for the last year or two, albeit not as frequently as I should. I usually use a number of set routines, based on fixed power levels. I like doing it this way as I can compare my performance over time quite easily by looking at my average heart rate for the same routine. Anyway, over the last month or so I've found even my Easy routine very hard. Been a bit ill, got fat(ter) over Christmas etc so didn't think too much about it. On Saturday after my exercise routine I noticed that the calibration factor had creeped up to 1.7. I have a vague recollection that this should be kept close to zero so I fiddled with the adjuster until I had it down to 0.3. Tonight I did my easy routine for the first time since that adjustment. It felt really easy and my average heart rate was 10bpm lower than it was on Saturday! Clearly I've not massively improved in two days, so the calibration change must be the reason.

The question I've got now is - is the Tacx power reading at all accurate? Is the accuracy dependent on the calibration factor? I thought the whole point of the factor was to keep the wattmeter accurate whatever your setup was.

Confused.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Tacx iMagic Turbo Trainer Calibration
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2009, 07:25:16 am »
I don't know the answer as I only got mine for Christmas, but this might help.  I've found that forum very handy for answering questions.

http://tacxforum.ilink.nl/viewtopic.php?t=9067&highlight=calibration

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2009, 08:41:16 pm »
Just got round to updating the software on mine.   I had ten updates to download, in five pairs.   One part menu, one part VR.

Massively improved  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2009, 09:10:56 pm »
It's not very accurate I'm afraid. I use a powertap and I can see the variation in the iMagic's readings. It changes over a session, it's affected by cadence, tyre pressure, roller pressure - lots of things.

Neil

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2009, 10:03:09 am »
i've tried calibrating the imagic with a powertap too and gave up, its just too variable.  when i started the imagic was reading about 25% below the powertap (so when it was showing 200W on the imagic, the powertap was at 240ish, but as neil says it drifts even further out over an hour or so.

i havent tried updating the software yet, will have a go at that tomorrow. Looks like i'm going to need the turbo a bit more next week :(

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:20:32 am »
Its a worthwhile upgrade as it adds webracing.... let me know when you've sorted it and we can set up a server between us.

« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:32:59 am »
righto.  I'll just adjust my weight in the setup to be 34 Kilos..

« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2009, 10:49:50 am »
(I'll attach an electric drill to the flywheel)