Author Topic: I've never watched Star Wars.  (Read 14941 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: I've never watched Star Wars.
« Reply #75 on: 15 December, 2015, 05:49:21 pm »
The same applies to many things: religion, sex, war, billiards...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #76 on: 15 December, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »
In many ways Star Wars is like audax. For those who like it, we forget all the dull boring bits, and just relive the good memories. For those who don't like it, they've either never tried it, or tried it once and then gone WTF is this sh!t and then spent their time doing something else instead.

Except that every time you  re-ride the calender event, the organizer has 'tweaked' the route and made it a little bit different (different in an BAAD way)

*of the very few rides where this has applied, I've simply taken my preferred alternative route. Free routing FTW
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #77 on: 16 December, 2015, 11:23:01 am »
Based on the early reviews I'm seeing, the new film sounds quite fun.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #78 on: 16 December, 2015, 11:36:08 am »
I've never watched Star Wars.

I then went a married a massive science fiction fan who has been telling me I must watch them since the day she discovered I had never seen them. Mrs Trekker is a little older than me so remembers being wowed by the giant spaceship appearing overhead at the start of the first one (or is that the 4th one, I'm not sure) in 1977. There is a plastic (recent Chinese import, not an original) light sabre on our TV stand.

I know the basic premise and who Luke's father is (spoiler alert) but other than that I've never quite been interested enough.

I did buy a special edition box set (with assistance from this forum) for us to watch with the original unchanged versions included, as apparently I have to watch those as the bits George Lucas changed ruined the whole thing. That boxset is still sitting in it's plastic wrapper since I bought it in February.

I'm under instruction to go and watch the new one at some point after Christmas, and actually I think I'd quite like to see what the fuss is all about. The last five years have at least educated me in science fiction which is something I never quite got round to before. I think we'll have an episodes 4-6 marathon after boxing day in preparation.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #79 on: 16 December, 2015, 01:26:09 pm »
Based on the early reviews I'm seeing, the new film sounds quite fun.

Did we discover that George Lucas was the problem for 30 years?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hillbilly

« Reply #80 on: 16 December, 2015, 01:37:09 pm »
I might be wrong, but my impression is that early reviews tend to be positive.  Then the public sees it.  And then a refined sense of a blockbuster film's worth comes about. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Force Awakens, regardless of whether it is good or not.  I'll probably end up seeing it a couple of times in fact.  Star Wars defined a disproportionate chunk of my childhood in the 80s. 

I still can't hold a long tube shaped container without pretending it is a lightsaber.  And generally if there is another bloke with a similar sized tube to hand we'll end up faux duelling and making fzwoo fzwoo noises.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #81 on: 16 December, 2015, 02:27:27 pm »

I still can't hold a long tube shaped container without pretending it is a lightsaber.  And generally if there is another bloke with a similar sized tube to hand we'll end up faux duelling and making fzwoo fzwoo noises.

Careful, that was George Michael's downfall.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Andrew

« Reply #82 on: 16 December, 2015, 02:37:08 pm »
This could equally be in the 'claim to fame' thread...

I watched the first Star Wars with Peter Jackson. We had to run from the cinema to the train station to make our train home*. We were 13 and so possibly the perfect age for Star Wars - it was huge and exciting, like nothing we'd ever seen before. You ought remember, back then, it was a monumental production - innovative and ground breaking in it's effects and production technology.

*Wellington to Paekakariki if you're interested in the details. He got off at Muri (now closed, one of the two stations that served Pukerua Bay back then) and I stayed on to get the bus from Paekak to Raumati. Some things, you don't need to know. It ruins the magic...

« Reply #83 on: 16 December, 2015, 02:42:57 pm »
That is well past tenuous. So you, in a small way, might be responsible for forming the impressionable mind of the young Peter Jackson, leading to him producing the abomination that is 'The Hobbit'?

Your soul is damned forever.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrew

« Reply #84 on: 16 December, 2015, 02:46:54 pm »
It gets worse. We also watched the Ralph Bakshi version of 'Lord Of The Rings'. As I recall, he had no interest in LoTR before then. Animation, particularly stop-motion animation, was his interest.

« Reply #85 on: 16 December, 2015, 03:24:02 pm »
It gets worse. We also watched the Ralph Bakshi version of 'Lord Of The Rings'. As I recall, he had no interest in LoTR before then. Animation, particularly stop-motion animation, was his interest.
dammit man, you are brave

Saying such things on the internet. Your door is likely to be kicked in by black riders nerdy LOTR fans, screaming "You murdered Faramir".

I suggest warding your house with a boxed set of the Wheel of Time. Nothing more guaranteed to block a LOTR fan.
Edit, I'm wrong. Just wear a "Why didn't they fly to Mordor on eagles?" T-shirt. That will make a LOTR sob.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrew

« Reply #86 on: 16 December, 2015, 03:30:54 pm »
And a LoTR/Star Wars link is Anthony Daniels. Legolas to Legsotin.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #87 on: 16 December, 2015, 03:46:54 pm »
Well   we've just booked tickets to see it on my birthday :thumbsup:

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #88 on: 16 December, 2015, 05:13:10 pm »
I have tickets for five minutes past midnight this evening.

I shall post about it (spoiler free) on a separate thread later on.

« Reply #89 on: 16 December, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »
Today I have never watched Star Wars. 

Tomorrow I will have watched Star Wars.

I haven't a scooby doo what it's about except light sabres, space stuff etc.  I'm just going with the flow if not the force.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #90 on: 16 December, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »
I watched it on an ipad on my desk whilst I was doing something else.

Meh.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #91 on: 16 December, 2015, 05:34:49 pm »

;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jakob

« Reply #92 on: 16 December, 2015, 06:10:34 pm »

Meh.

Still buttsore, eh?

« Reply #93 on: 17 December, 2015, 06:19:32 am »

Meh.

Still buttsore, eh?

Right, deleted my posts and put him on ignore which is what I should have done to start with.
Apologies for the mess...

You won't be able to read this because you've got me on ignore......but its a real shame you deleted all your posts from the thread in question.

Loads of people said it was their favourite ever thread.

« Reply #94 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:36:04 am »
Went to a 3am showing. Other than a handful of girls, it was pretty much a total sausagefest, approx 98% male audience, so again, very similar to audax.

Jakob

« Reply #95 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:53:28 am »

Meh.

Still buttsore, eh?

Right, deleted my posts and put him on ignore which is what I should have done to start with.

You won't be able to read this because you've got me on ignore......but its a real shame you deleted all your posts from the thread in question.

Yet, you're the one that more than 2 years later, that brings it up in an irrelevant thread...

« Reply #96 on: 17 December, 2015, 09:08:01 am »
Went to a 3am showing. Other than a handful of girls, it was pretty much a total sausagefest, approx 98% male audience, so again, very similar to audax.

Because it was 3 a.m.?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #97 on: 17 December, 2015, 09:54:13 am »
Same time as 300km audaxes start

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #98 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:19:22 pm »
it was pretty much a total sausagefest, approx 98% male audience

A total what??  Are you sure it was the real thing and not a "Hollywood" version with a subtly different title?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #99 on: 17 December, 2015, 02:41:32 pm »

Meh.

Still buttsore, eh?

Yet, you're the one that more than 2 years later, that brings it up in an irrelevant thread...

See Citoyen's post above to understand why