Author Topic: more insane management speak phrases  (Read 145571 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: more insane management speak phrases
« Reply #200 on: 03 September, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »
"We need to tee up a discussion about the use of accessible language in our marketing material, when are you available between $date-$date for a thought piece on the issue?" :facepalm:
"tee up"? Presumably this is preparation for smashing the thing into deep forest.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #201 on: 03 September, 2012, 12:55:19 pm »
I went to an onboarding presentation the other day.

We've just started doing "onboarding" sessions!  They seem to have replaced accreditation and induction sessions.  I've no idea what the difference is.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #202 on: 03 September, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »
'He's been wheelsucking the project for a while now' - he's not been pulling his weight/contributing
'Your team are setting a good tempo' - The project is going well so you can shaft your unerlings and take all the glory yourself
'It's more of a domestique role' - you are nto going to be allowed to make any decisions.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

« Reply #203 on: 03 September, 2012, 12:56:46 pm »
We've just started doing "onboarding" sessions!  They seem to have replaced accreditation and induction sessions.  I've no idea what the difference is.

Accidentally refer to them as waterboarding sessions..

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #204 on: 03 September, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »

Accidentally refer to them as waterboarding sessions..

Please don't make suggestions like that as I almost certainly will.  It's like a few years ago when someone told me a girl in channel marketing called Corina had acquired the nickname Margot  (as in Leadbetter from the Goodlife) but she didn't know and would be VERY upset if she ever found out.  What did I genuinely do by accident?  Was she upset?  Yes she was.   VERY

:hand:   ;D

red marley

« Reply #205 on: 03 September, 2012, 01:09:25 pm »
I think we should think of some cycling-related mangagement phrases that we can use in meetings and see how quickly they spread.

Our senior management have already encouraged us to adopt 'marginal gains' following from Dave Brailsford's outstanding work. In the process, completing misunderstanding what he actually did by assuming it just means work 1% harder in every aspect of your job.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #206 on: 03 September, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
"We need to tee up a discussion about the use of accessible language in our marketing material, when are you available between $date-$date for a thought piece on the issue?" :facepalm:
"tee up"? Presumably this is preparation for smashing the thing into deep forest.

Sadly, the use of 'thought piece' instead of 'meeting' makes me think not.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

David Martin

« Reply #207 on: 03 September, 2012, 05:08:44 pm »
tea up? a cracking idea grommit!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #208 on: 03 September, 2012, 07:41:46 pm »
I think we should think of some cycling-related mangagement phrases that we can use in meetings and see how quickly they spread.

Excellent idea - chapeau ! (I'll try that one in the office tomorrow.  Might not work with our offshore resources..)
Aero but not dynamic

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #209 on: 03 September, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »
Slightly off-topic. A chum of mine who works at <name of hospital redacted for legal reasons> has a TLA which describes a surprisingly large part of the office bound worker's life.  MWI - Meetings With Imbeciles. 

I find that it helps,  when confronted by a situation, jargon or "management" practice that would have any right minded person reaching for a  blunt instrument and a sack of quick lime,  that chanting "MWI" softly for a minute or two keeps my murderous rage under control.  Usually.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #210 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:18:16 pm »
"I am pleased to announce the appointment of ***** ***** to the position of Process Optimisation Manager effective today, in the [insert department name].  This new role will focus on delivering efficiency improvements to key processes owned by the [insert dept name] and implementing automated KPIs, whilst linking with the [insert offshore arm of the dept] sustainable process improvement initiatives (SPI) programme."

Word for word.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #211 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:43:05 pm »
"I am pleased to announce the appointment of ***** ***** to the position of Process Optimisation Manager effective today, in the [insert department name].  This new role will focus on delivering efficiency improvements to key processes owned by the [insert dept name] and implementing automated KPIs, whilst linking with the [insert offshore arm of the dept] sustainable process improvement initiatives (SPI) programme."

Word for word.
=== writes the quality manual

Which is then ignored
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #212 on: 04 September, 2012, 11:33:13 am »

Drum up.

« Reply #213 on: 06 September, 2012, 07:01:33 am »
"To that end, your local HR Advisor will shortly be reaching out to you to help plug some gaps that we have in our pre-existing data as well as getting us to a baseline with some new data points. While the majority of the data points will be intuitive (e.g. personnel contact information), there are some new data points which we have previously not captured, however will help BigCo in its journey to becoming an Employer of Choice globally, as we will be able to undertake accurate diversity/sustainability reporting."   :facepalm:
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #214 on: 06 September, 2012, 07:55:14 am »
"To that end, your local HR Advisor will shortly be reaching out to you to help plug some gaps that we have in our pre-existing data as well as getting us to a baseline with some new data points...
Two of my favourites in one sentence - "to reach out" and "pre-existing".
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #215 on: 06 September, 2012, 08:07:04 am »
If induction is now known as "onboarding", is redundancy now "overboarding"?

« Reply #216 on: 06 September, 2012, 08:32:34 am »

;D
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #217 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:40:45 am »
de-leveraging your functionality?

disencruiting?

ramping down employee resource count?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

David Martin

« Reply #218 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:51:56 am »

offboarding, or in past times, 'walking the plank'

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #219 on: 06 September, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »
Making constructive dismissal "springboarding"?
Not especially helpful or mature

fuzzy

« Reply #220 on: 06 September, 2012, 03:22:50 pm »
"I don't think Ian will support your application"

« Reply #221 on: 07 September, 2012, 08:39:35 pm »
If you think about it, "retiree" fits this thread.

An "ee" is someone to whom something is done. A decision is handed to a referee. A lessor lets to a lessee.

A retiree is someone who has been retired.

I plan on being a retirer. But you never know what life will bring.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #222 on: 08 September, 2012, 09:36:46 am »

Drum up.
As in,  "to drum up support"?  If so then this one goes back a loooong way.  Probably to the practice of recruiting parties (and other mountebanks) having someone beating a drum to attract the attention of the yokels as a prelude to trying to sell some deeply dodgy idea (like getting killed in a foreign war for the local headman is better than following the plough)  or useless product (anything make by K-Tel or Ronco - one for older readers there).  Not sure that makes it, "insane management speak", more, "devious marketing scum speak".   Alert readers may be able to detect slight traces of bias in the foregoing. 

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #223 on: 08 September, 2012, 09:53:19 am »
Drum up also means to mash a brew in the open air during a pause in a bike ride, so I have no problem with that at all.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #224 on: 08 September, 2012, 05:33:02 pm »
Drum up also means to mash a brew in the open air during a pause in a bike ride, so I have no problem with that at all.

that's what I meant