Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3004909 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
On a related note, I've realised that Sunday's Audax o'clock start will be more jarring (and, by the look of it, cold) than anticipated.

I'd be happy to get up earlier year-round and finishing work earlier.

I guess it depends on your job but couldn't you do this anyway? At the company where I'm working at the moment, normal office hours are 9.30-6 (4 on Fridays) but some of my colleagues do a 9-5.30 day and at least one does 8-4.30. Another does 9.30-4.30 two days a week for childcare reasons.

Not when when of my preferred activities post work is training with a group of other people. We all need to be able to exit work in daylight hours and not all companies offer flexible working hours.

Mine does; I just can't really make use of them due to pressure of work and meetings.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Couldn't we split the difference and go to GMT+30mins?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
One for Thatlondoners...

So I’m on Gloucester Place and a tourist asks me the way to Buckingham Palace. “Well, if you just hop over that wall...”
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
One for the Brummies.
I was asked by some forigns for St. Henry Square.   ???
Took me a while to realise they were trying to say Centenary Square.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
What forigns? Oldbury? Solihull?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Basil

• Help me!
What forigns? Oldbury? Solihull?

No. Not THAT forign.  Some sort of East European.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Practically locals then?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
St Henry's Square is across the road from the Gastric Basin...

Basil

• Help me!
 :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Cradley Heath and Rowley Regis were considered FOREIGN when I lived/worked in Stourbridge...

Good beer over that way. Cheap too. Bathams, ah....
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Yesterday we received a Christmas card from Canada.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The other day I got a Farcebok shitvert for an event in January.  January 2016.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The other day I got a Farcebok shitvert for an event in January.  January 2016.

Are you going?  You could warn everyone...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I screwed up this morning and grabbed the wrong pump. I put mountain bike air into my road bike's tires. Will I be able to remove the tubes and tires and repair the rims, or are they goners?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I screwed up this morning and grabbed the wrong pump. I put mountain bike air into my road bike's tires. Will I be able to remove the tubes and tires and repair the rims, or are they goners?

If it's just a little bit of mountain bike air, you should be okay if you top it up to full pressure with road bike air immediately, just remember to take it easy on approach to the climbs, and watch out for signs of getting gnarly on cycle infrastructure.  Stay off the drops until you've topped the tyres up a couple more times.

Otherwise the best thing to do is not even mount the bike and call you LBS's air assist service immediately.  They should have the equipment to drain and safely dispose of the mountain bike air, without contaminating your ride.

(This is the better way round - if you'd put road bike air in mountain bike tyres, the lack of bounce could cause permanent damage.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
In order to really help you, we need more information. Was this alloy or carbon mountain bike air and, very importantly, does the road bike run on Campagnolo or Shimano air? If it uses Sram, then there's no hope; this is totally incompatible with mountain bike air and you will have to scrap the tyres (incineration is the safest way) and disinfect the entire bike as well as the entire bike shed. You may also have to shave off your beard, just in case stray particles of mountain bike air have become trapped in it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

One for Thatlondoners...

So I’m on Gloucester Place and a tourist asks me the way to Buckingham Palace. “Well, if you just hop over that wall...”
Did you mean Grosvenor Place?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
One for Thatlondoners...

Good spot! I was wondering how anyone could jump from Selfridge's to Buck House...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
One for Thatlondoners...

Oops! I was walking from Marble Arch to Victoria so... yes.

Not sure why I had Gloucester Place in my head.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Because I assume the date, some pranksters parked a line of toy cars on a notoriously ignored section of double-yellow lines by the main roundabout in town (because stopping off at the Barclay's ATM or stuffing your face full of KFC is worth risking a serious accident over – plus damage to the roundabout from lorries trying to get by them has cost taxpayers several tens of thousands of pounds to date). And then ticketed them.

Ironically, unlike the actual cars, the council came and promptly cleared them away.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
any pics...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

There’s just been an “ Inspector Sands” call at Liverpool Lime St.  I thought that was only a London thing, but apparently not. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Sands
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
On company websites where the jobs page says "We're always on the lookout for new people!", does that mean:
a. They can't be bothered to add actual details of the jobs and there might not be any;
b. People are always leaving so it's a poisoned chalice? ;)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000