Author Topic: GPSBabel to filter tracks  (Read 1716 times)

GPSBabel to filter tracks
« on: 07 May, 2017, 04:45:00 pm »
say I want to filter tracks withing a GPX file (containing multiple tracks) called bcm.gpx and save the filtere file as bcmf.exe I think I should type

gpsbabel -i gpx -f bcm.exe 0x simplify,count=500 -o gpx -f bcmf.exe

My hunch is that because I seem to need admin rights to write to this folder (ie click okay), GPSBabel can't write to the folder - could that be why even when I just type  gpsbabel -i gpx -f bcm.exe -o gpx -f bcmf.exe

nothing happens?

I've lost patience and am going to use mapsource, but I wish I knew how to make GPSBabel play nice.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: GPSBabel to filter tracks
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2017, 07:23:12 pm »
I couldn't work out GPSBabel either, so I just run the track through bikehike and click on Options to get it to reduce the number of trackpoints.  Much easier.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:04:21 pm »
Why does the folder need admin rights? Why not put the GPX files in another folder?
Have you tried using the GPSBabel GUI, does it give any sort of error?

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:11:50 pm »
The gui doesn't let you filter. However, I'll try converting or something.

Glad it's not just me that is struggling.

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:25:26 pm »
Pick any world class athlete who turned out to be a Top of the Line loony tune. Awesome athletic body - messed up head.

GPS Babel is that athlete. The command line tool is fucking tremendous - it does everything it says it will do, in all weathers (Linux, Windows, others).

The Windows UI is fucked up. It's tortured - inconsistent, ill-formed.

I use it for wrangling DIY tracks that don't conform to norm. It can be a painful experience.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:40:06 pm »
There is a "Filters" button in the middle of the GUI window. Then select "Routes and tracks", and it has an option for simplify. And make sure you have ticked the box to process tracks.

When you click OK, it will show the command it used. So you can compare that to what you are trying to do.

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2017, 09:45:40 pm »
The GUI gives me the following command line for a filtered track...

gpsbabel -w -r -t -i gpx -f D:/input.gpx -x simplify,count=30 -o gpx -F D:/Downloads/output.gpx

I don't see a "-F" in the original post ? And what is "0x" on the command line ? Also, ".exe" is a very unusual (and potentially risky ?) extension for a GPX file

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2017, 09:12:05 am »
GPS Visualizer
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
is a web front-end for GPSBabel.  By selecting the 'Advanced Options' it can do most things.
In theory you can save complex operations that you want to be able to repeat, in a cookie, but that has never worked for me.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll