Author Topic: Tracks most suitable for Touring Edge Plus  (Read 1617 times)

Tracks most suitable for Touring Edge Plus
« on: 27 May, 2017, 11:22:57 pm »
When I had an Etrex HCx, I always had to process Audax organisers' GPXs to reduce the number of points. Now, with an Edge Touring Plus, I can drop the files straight in. However, I often find that the device displays "Calculating route" for maybe ten minutes, and sometimes it then reports a "Route calculation error", even though there presumably isn't anything wrong with the file.

What's the best thing to do to get a good file for the device? I don't want to lose control points and so on if those have been added. Is there a recommended maximum number of points?

I've got most features turned off as per standard advice. The odd thing is that, having failed to calculate the route, it still shows the track anyway, which is all I really want. So, if there were a setting to stop it calculating in the first place, I'd probably do that!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Tracks most suitable for Touring Edge Plus
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2017, 06:07:05 pm »
You can drop the files straight in but if you've simply downloaded them from 'somewhere' you don't know, when you do that, that the files are well-formed and suitable.  They could be corrupt or simply not Track files at all.

Possibly the files that trigger a long calculate are in fact Route files - there is no perceptible difference unless you open and inspect the GPX file in some way.  Many online planners can output Route GPX files with many hundreds of points, organisers may download these in error or ignorance and pass them on - and such GPX files simply won't work, in any GPS.

(A Route GPX can be converted to a Track GPX using this GPS Visualizer form)
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx&force_type=t&show_wpt=0&units=metric
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2017, 06:24:18 pm »
Route Calculation Error usually means that the route points are not accessible using the mapping loaded on the device.
So the GPX contains a Route, not a Track.
Tracks don't care about your mapping.

As a minimum, I'd advise you to load up the downloaded GPX file in basecamp/mapsource on top of your device's mapping, and inspect it.

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:10:19 pm »
It happened again for yesterdays Down the Ups 100k. The organiser's GPX was quite small this time (401 points). There were also 8 waypoints in the file - I hadn't come across doing that until I saw this thread.

I haven't typically bothered with Basecamp - I've just dragged and dropped GPXs onto the device. However, as advised, I did this time, and I also used Basecamp to upload it. No difference - still got a route calculation error. This relatively short event in Berkshire definitely did not go off the map that I have in the GPS!

I don't think it happens with every file but, once it happens with a particular file, it always happens for that file. I can't see a problem with yesterday's file. Basecamp says it's a track so, on the basis of what Frankie said, why is the GPS calculating the route anyway?

I'm not sure what to do next.