Author Topic: The FNRtSR Residential.... Whitby 2013!  (Read 36408 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The FNRtSR Residential.... Whitby 2013!
« Reply #25 on: 11 August, 2013, 10:19:40 pm »
Hi nikki.

There's a few options with this one. CrinklyLion has booked an old house in Whitby, so you could make a weekend of it. Otherwise there are a few trains from Whitby, but far more from Scarborough which you can hopefully cadge a lift to.

There's also the option of taking the steam train to Pickering and cycling back to York from there.

Unfortunately I think I'm not going to make this year's ride as I have to be in Kendal by mid afternoon and then practice and perform for a big choral concert that evening which I don't think I can do on zero sleep :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #26 on: 11 August, 2013, 11:15:35 pm »
Thanks mcshroom,

Yes, I'm aiming to do the weekend at the 'cottage'.
It occurred to me that I could drive up to York. Currently pondering bike tetris options with Kim and barakta.

Shame you can't do the ride, but sleep does sound sensible!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #27 on: 11 August, 2013, 11:24:14 pm »
We'll be around all day on the Friday (half term - youpi!) until heading to Whitby, and I'll be around the Thursday too so early arrivals, accommodation and snooze spaces can all be provided in York as can on-street parking.

There's also the option, if travelling on Thursday or reasonably early Friday is possible, of dropping bikes and people in York, going and abandoning a car in Whitby and hopping on the bus back to York which would simplify the end of the weekend for you!

« Reply #28 on: 11 August, 2013, 11:49:33 pm »
Soooo many options! (Thanks!)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 12 August, 2013, 08:37:48 am »
Thanks for the bump, phantasmagoriana.

So there's a night ride over to Whitby departing York at midnight?
Do folks usually ride back to York again afterwards, or would I be getting a train back from Whitby?

*poised over keyboard ready to do something vaguely resembling committing to attending*

1) Correct
2) People do their own thing, some stay over for the weekend (there are sometimes fireworks over the harbour), some ride back to York and some get the train home (that'll be me then :), the trains from Whitby go (SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY) via Middlesboro for connections to points North, South, East and West.)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #30 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:34:20 pm »
Hoorah! Just checking the dates, and we can do this AND the West Lancs Halloween Special Trains (which is the weekend before) if we want....

Oh, and Kim will be amused to know that since the earlier reference to antique toasters, I've acquired ANOTHER one...  (And don't know whether that one works either!)

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #31 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »
Last year, there was a distinct lack of Halloween tat on bikes. And no costumes. This must be rectified this year... :P

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #32 on: 29 September, 2013, 09:00:42 pm »
After a break from the last few FNRtSR, I'm going to ride this one. CrinklyAuntie will be driving up.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #33 on: 29 September, 2013, 09:19:33 pm »
H'excellent!  That'll make for happy Cubs.

Right, since this now not ages away... shall we start A List?  Also - who is going to be h'Official Ride Leader, cos it ain't me!  Strictly catering corps/welcome party duty for me :)

Advance Party for the Silly Bikeless Adventure heading to Whitby on Friday:
CrinklyLion
CrinklyCub The Elder
SmallestCub
CrinklyAuntie
Arch
Arch's FWHTBAB
Barakta

Riding on Friday night and then staying Saturday night at the Whitby "cottage":
Kim
Nikki
Deano
CrinklyUncle
Phantasmagoriana (with tinsel and tat)

Schroedinger's Cyclists:
MAC
Basil
Tiermat
Mcshroom
shyumu
Canardly
MAC
andrewc
mrcharly

Arch&MFWHTBAB/CU&CA/Kim&Barakta - are all of you guys happy to go with the same bedrooms as last time or would any of you prefer an alternative?

Kim/Barakta/Nikki - any thoughts on my suggestion of, work and the like fitting around it, maybe heading up on Thursday evening and crashing at the Den?  This would allow Nikki to drive over and drop the car in Whitby and hop on a bus back to York whilst still getting a decent night's kip Thursday night and having time for a nap on Friday, and make the return journey on the Sunday a lot simpler for you guys.  If it works out better to do something different and CrinkyHotel space on different nights would help, shout up!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 29 September, 2013, 09:28:53 pm »
Kim/Barakta/Nikki - any thoughts on my suggestion of, work and the like fitting around it, maybe heading up on Thursday evening and crashing at the Den?  This would allow Nikki to drive over and drop the car in Whitby and hop on a bus back to York whilst still getting a decent night's kip Thursday night and having time for a nap on Friday, and make the return journey on the Sunday a lot simpler for you guys.

Ran this idea past barakta last night, and it got a thumbs up from her, so if it works for nikki...

Oh, and we're fine with the same room as last time.  Barakta liked the bed.

« Reply #35 on: 29 September, 2013, 09:35:21 pm »
We'd like the same room if we may please.

Do we need to provide transport over to Whitby on Friday for anyone but us? (or any stuff, if that helps more, or both or anything?)

This post brought to you from the Department of Concise Questions.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #36 on: 29 September, 2013, 09:39:50 pm »
We'd like the same room if we may please.
Can do :)

Do we need to provide transport over to Whitby on Friday for anyone but us? (or any stuff, if that helps more, or both or anything?)
Erm... I don't know at the moment!

This post brought to you from the Department of Concise Questions.
:D

(ps - if you're around tomorrow d'ya fancy beansontoast-before-karate-tea and sock collection?)

« Reply #37 on: 29 September, 2013, 09:49:41 pm »
Kim/Barakta/Nikki - any thoughts on my suggestion of, work and the like fitting around it, maybe heading up on Thursday evening and crashing at the Den?  This would allow Nikki to drive over and drop the car in Whitby and hop on a bus back to York whilst still getting a decent night's kip Thursday night and having time for a nap on Friday, and make the return journey on the Sunday a lot simpler for you guys.

Ran this idea past barakta last night, and it got a thumbs up from her, so if it works for nikki...

Works for me!

Will drive Kim, barakta, myself, an assortment of cycles and LEDs up to the CrinklyHotel on Thursday and shuttle a proportion of these plus what or whoever else will fit in the car over to the cottage on Friday.

Crinkles, if shuttling involves you and the Cubs, are you able to get back home again afterwards?

DaleFTW

« Reply #38 on: 29 September, 2013, 09:56:12 pm »
Am I allowed to play?

« Reply #39 on: 29 September, 2013, 10:02:55 pm »
I'm still up for this  :thumbsup:    Riding over on Friday & cottaging on Saturday (if there's room?)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #40 on: 29 September, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »

(ps - if you're around tomorrow d'ya fancy beansontoast-before-karate-tea and sock collection?)

Hmm, I'm a bit busy tomorrow afternoon, I get back from MFWHTBABs at lunchtime and have planned a mega jam session - that's the sweet fruity stuff, not music. It might be a bit complicated to time stuff to any deadline.

Could I put you off a mite longer? If all else fails, you can bring the socks to Whitby!

DaleFTW

« Reply #41 on: 29 September, 2013, 10:08:26 pm »
Am I allowed to play?

Just the riding part, I'm not that into cottaging.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #42 on: 29 September, 2013, 10:19:32 pm »
DaleFTW - it's a pretty easy going bash/bunch!  A few people in the past have done the ride, breakfast in the cafe, and then headed up to the house for cake/coffee/a snooze on the sofa in front of the fire before making their way off again.

Aye - be reet, andrew :)

Historically the room allocation algorithm is pretty much rooms-for-couples-get-allocated and then the rest of us fit in round that.  So, after K&B/A&HFWHTBAB/CU&CA's bookings there's currently a remaining large double room and the two attic rooms (which had either mattresses or camp beds last time I was there) and the living room with a sofa to divvy up, and assorted inflatable/folding etc beds lurking in cupboards that can help with this.

Last two years I've taken along a big ol' box of foodstuffs and the like for general consumption on Friday evening and over the weekend.  Saturday am is breakfast at the fisherman's cafe.  Last year we had a rather pleasant trip on the steam train for tea and cake/lunch at a cafe, a driftwood-for-kindling collecting trip on the beach, then takeaway fish and chips for tea and I persuaded the solid fuel stove to cook sossidges and bacon and porridge for Sunday brekkie.

The deal with the house is that you provide your own towels/duvet covers/pillow cases and do the cleaning before leaving.  I took as many sets of bedding and towels and sleeping bags as I could muster so that people on bikes didn't have to worry about that bit!  Also in the last two years there was an excellent system developed where various adults took my kids to go and be out of the way on the beach returning via the bakers with lunchtime pasties and the like while other adults divvied up the clean up operation.

« Reply #43 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:02:02 am »
I'm still in for the ride and cottaging (I've got tickets and everything). I may or may not have a functioning wheel by then, but at least I'll have tat. I know my priorities.

Who's got their costume planned, then? :demon:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #44 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:29:52 am »
Having had a fantastic night on Friday/Saturday morning, I will say that, pending the Committee's approval, I am in.

I won't be staying over, I like sleeping on MY sofa far too much :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #45 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:33:06 am »
I'm definitely out I'm afraid.

I can't do a night ride and then the concert the following afternoon (rehersals start at 1:30pm) so I won't be riding. :(

« Reply #46 on: 30 September, 2013, 11:58:26 am »
Crinkles, if shuttling involves you and the Cubs, are you able to get back home again afterwards?

Oh. Wait. Is Friday a school day? If so, I probably need to be on the move before you get home...

Who's got their costume planned, then? :demon:

Kim and I were pondering something involving bat detectors the other week, but I reckon all sensible bats will be in bed by November.

I keep dipping into Instructables for inspiration. I was rather taken by this, but I fear a full body latex Cthulhu outfit may not work so well on the night ride :(

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #47 on: 30 September, 2013, 12:07:42 pm »
Capes are good, as long as there isn't a side wind :)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #48 on: 30 September, 2013, 01:44:13 pm »
Nikki - it's half term.  But I don't currently have a scooby what time the Cubs will return from their dad's on Friday which is one of the reasons that I'm a bit vague about some of the detail!  Will find out on Sunday, hopefully.

« Reply #49 on: 30 September, 2013, 03:13:01 pm »
Capes are good

Fact.

Nikki - it's half term.  But I don't currently have a scooby what time the Cubs will return from their dad's on Friday which is one of the reasons that I'm a bit vague about some of the detail!  Will find out on Sunday, hopefully.

Okay - no problem. Good luck extracting the information!