Author Topic: The FNRtSR Residential.... Whitby 2013!  (Read 36338 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
The FNRtSR Residential.... Whitby 2013!
« on: 22 April, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »
Edited 29/10/12 to be a bit more up to date since it is this weekend

Ride list
I reckon these are the runners and riders:

Me (route leader)
Tiermat (in charge of tea stop)
Phanta (tat secretary)
CrinklyUncle (navigation as far as Malton)
Kim
Nikki
Eeymsmo
andrewc

Not coming:

Basil
Mrcharly
Shyumu
DaleFTW
MAC

If anyone's on the wrong list or can confirm that they're coming, post on the thread. I'll send everyone my mobile number before the ride.

My original post
Yeah, I know, it's blinking ages away.  Humour me, OK  ;)

For those unfamiliar with the event, here's the threads from the last three.
2010 https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38025.msg720888#msg720888
2011 https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51743.msg1042830#msg1042830
2012 https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=59136.0

The first one we just rode there overnight, the last two we turned into a weekend of silliness and goth spotting and all round conviviality and good fun.  With added steam train, last year.

I have absolutely no blinking idea if I'll be riding, whether I'll have a full complement of functional limbs and joints, if I'll have chiddlers or not that weekend....  So this isn't really about the ride or the route. 

What I am game for is organising the house and stuff at the end, so I have provisionally 'dibbsed' the Whitby 'cottage' for the Friday/Saturday nights of the Goth festival with my mate.  She needs to double check that no family members are planning to use it and will get back to me as soon as she knows if it is available.

Who's interested?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The FNRtSR Residential.... Whitby 2013!
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2013, 09:49:06 pm »
Of course...

That's 1-3rd of November, which may be worth adding to the thread title...

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2013, 10:20:31 pm »
Oh yes! :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2013, 09:03:25 am »
Aye, I'll be riding, and I'd like to stay over at the cottage again. Maybe I'll do more than sleep on the Saturday this time (though I did get down to the beach, at least - unlike ******* and ************** ;) ).

Same route? It's a fabulously dark stretch of moor, that. At least, it is until you reach the arc lights at Fylingdales.

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2013, 09:11:56 am »
Sounds like a date for the diary.... :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2013, 02:59:05 pm »
Can a FNRtSR virgin express an interest in this fine sounding outing? (I have met Mcshroom if that helps).
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

CrinklyLion

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2013, 07:46:44 pm »
Same route? It's a fabulously dark stretch of moor, that. At least, it is until you reach the arc lights at Fylingdales.

If you want, and if I'm not riding, I can leave some Den keys with someone so you can all hit the coffee pot before departure without the daleks and the pyjama clad students and the awkward inner space staff refusing hot drinks and stuff :D

Can a FNRtSR virgin express an interest in this fine sounding outing? (I have met Mcshroom if that helps).

Hello!  I'll have at least waved at you from a street corner at midnight with a small child clinging, monkey-like, to my back and a bag full of tasty baked comestibles in one hand.  And if you did the SMRBtY then you'll have met Phanta and CrinklyUncle too.

The "cottage" has 3 double rooms (2 of which are huge) and one twin room plus two attic rooms with a couple of mattresses/camp beds each plus there's assorted other campbeds and inflatables knocking around.  It isn't limitless space, but it hasn't been a problem the last two years :)

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2013, 08:07:34 pm »

Yes, but perhaps the other route into Whitby after Blue Bank (i.e. not the one we did last year)? I think those who'd ridden both preferred that one.

« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:43:39 pm »
Having been tipped off earlier in the week, I can confirm that MFWHTBAB and I are up for joining in, either riding (perhaps unlikely, unless we really get some training in this summer, instead of working on the house), or going over in the advance party to start the kettle boiling etc.

Although the kettle was much better last year, wasn't it? We'll bring tools anyway, in order to fix whatever does need fixing ;)

Assuming advance party-ness, I'm sure lifts could be given as per last year if necessary for any attendee(s) not riding.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:18:35 pm »
The kettle was fine, but the toaster was a bit suspect.  Maybe you should bring a spare :)

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:24:34 pm »
If I can address my train phobia a possible.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2013, 11:57:57 pm »
Hmm.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2013, 10:47:22 am »

Yes, but perhaps the other route into Whitby after Blue Bank (i.e. not the one we did last year)? I think those who'd ridden both preferred that one.

Both are pretty good, I reckon. The main road is simpler, and I do enjoy that long downhill on the Moors Road. But coming along the harbour the other way was very fine, too.

« Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2013, 11:19:30 am »
The one we did last year would have been fine without the skog. Twas a bit slippery with the mud and leaves, but I still think preferable to ending up on a major road.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 25 April, 2013, 11:49:21 am »
But there was a 20% hill!

« Reply #15 on: 25 April, 2013, 12:06:02 pm »
But there was a 20% hill!
ISTR you rode up it . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 25 April, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »
Nah - I got off and walked at the bend, it was too slippy. (I rode up the previous year, though!)

« Reply #17 on: 25 April, 2013, 12:24:43 pm »
The Moors Road isn't at all busy at 5.30 in the morning..

« Reply #18 on: 25 April, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »
The kettle was fine, but the toaster was a bit suspect.  Maybe you should bring a spare :)

We haven't yet established if my antique purchase actually works, although it's certainly pretty to look at. ;)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #19 on: 25 April, 2013, 08:36:42 pm »
Provisional - "Me too!"  Will be spending some time with my beautiful wife this weekend and will broach the subject of us giving it a go.  Where did I leave my winkle-pickers.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

CrinklyLion

« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2013, 08:14:45 pm »
Huzzah!

I have confirmation of the availibility of the 'cottage'.  Same deal as previously, 100 quid a night, bring your own sheets/duvet covers/pillow cases/towels and do the cleaning ready for the next person before you leave.

And it is pretty definite that I can have Cubs that weekend, so won't be riding.  See y'all in Arbutt's :D

(Mind, EC has expressed an interest in hills in the dark  :o  ::-) )

ETA - that's a hundred quid for the whole house, not each, btw as it was pointed out to me on the commute this morning that it was a bit  ambiguous!  I think last year it worked out at around 12 quid a night per person (plus food and chish and fips and stuff like that) but we weren't quite full!

« Reply #21 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:58:05 pm »
Hoorah! 

It'll go on our calendar!

MFWHTBAB and I might even try and make it down to the caff for breakfast this year.  I think we meant to last year, but accidentally stayed up until 3am, and we're too old to be getting up first thing after a late night like that!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #22 on: 14 May, 2013, 09:30:15 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm even going to make the ride this year at the moment :(

We have a big multi-choir concert on the Saturday evening in Kendal, so if I do come it may be a case of dumping the car in Whitby/York and heading straight back.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #23 on: 10 August, 2013, 08:36:52 am »
Bump, because cheap rail tickets for 1st November are now available...(though not yet for the Saturday/Sunday).

I'll be getting in at 20.41 (bit early, but it was cheap). I'd like to stay until Sunday, CL, if that's ok.

(Eek, staying for the weekend's going to mean hauling panniers up those hills! :o)

« Reply #24 on: 10 August, 2013, 08:10:08 pm »
Thanks for the bump, phantasmagoriana.

So there's a night ride over to Whitby departing York at midnight?
Do folks usually ride back to York again afterwards, or would I be getting a train back from Whitby?

*poised over keyboard ready to do something vaguely resembling committing to attending*