Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1717917 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #275 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:50:34 pm »
The pub should be here according to its post code but from memory it's on the south side of Stortford Road.

The weather forecast for Wednesday makes my appearance an improbability.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #276 on: 19 October, 2009, 11:16:21 pm »
The pub should be here according to its post code but from memory it's on the south side of Stortford Road.

I placed it on the south side, and a bit to the west of that in the map of all the venues here based on the postcode, the picture of the pub from their website and perusing the Google satellite view for a building of approximately the right shape.

The weather forecast for Wednesday makes my appearance an improbability.

I notice it's improved a bit tonight as compared to yester-eve -- it's gone from "Heavy Rain" to "Light Rain"  :-\  Fingers are crossed for a further improvement.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #277 on: 20 October, 2009, 08:00:09 am »
I've been nursing a cold for a week and if the weather is bad and the cold is still lingering I may give it a miss, due to not wanting to make myself worse. I'll let you know tomorrow.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #278 on: 20 October, 2009, 08:20:51 am »
Rain you say?  Smashing.  Not wanting to peak too early I am hoping inclement weather does not tempt me to wear my new winter hat tomorrow evening.  Since I was likened to a traffic cone last week I am happy to relate that I am continuing the fashion inspired by the Highways Agency theme.  If you can see it beside the M11 I'll wear it - but I draw the line at dead badgers.

Regarding timings, if we leave Witham at 1830 hrs we should be at Rayne by 1930 at the latest even allowing for the collection of chums en route.  I would think our ETA in Dunmow would be about 2030hrs.

I take it we will be eating curry  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #279 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »
Rain you say?  Smashing.  Not wanting to peak too early I am hoping inclement weather does not tempt me to wear my new winter hat tomorrow evening.  Since I was likened to a traffic cone last week I am happy to relate that I am continuing the fashion inspired by the Highways Agency theme.  If you can see it beside the M11 I'll wear it - but I draw the line at dead badgers.

You have a speed camera hat?  That should have an even more striking effect on oncoming motorists than the Hope 1 does alone.

The weather forecast has gone downhill into heavy rain again.  I will have to refit the rear mudguard on my Flitch Way-friendly bike.

Regarding timings, if we leave Witham at 1830 hrs we should be at Rayne by 1930 at the latest even allowing for the collection of chums en route.  I would think our ETA in Dunmow would be about 2030hrs.

Timing (and Tomsk ;)) dependent,  i was wondering about fitting in a swift pint at either the S&C or the Queen Anne's Castle en-route to Rayne.

I take it we will be eating curry  :thumbsup:

I, for one, will be definitely eating curry.  After all of chief's recommendations for the food at this place I am itching to eat there.

I wonder if we should try to book a table ...

So far we have:-

• Yes: Oscars Dad, mark_oakden, Tokamak, Tomsk
  • Unknown: chief
  • Doubtful: Auntie Helen (lurgie-dependent)
  • Improbable: wowbagger (weather-dependent)

So that would be 4 people at 8:30, with possibility of up to two more at that time, and one additional a bit later if the weather changes its mind :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #280 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:08:27 pm »
Alas I don't have a speed camera hat although it could be illuminated. 

A swifty at a pub along the way might be a good idea.  We can go thru Notley Green and past The Cricketers so that's an option too.

Booking a table might be a good idea.

I'm looking forward to it.  Trying to work out whether I should go for full waterproof trousers or 3/4 lengths and Rain Legs.  Might go for the latter and reserve the full wet weather gear for when it gets properly cold and wet.  Definitely going for the kinky rubber boots though.

Where shall we meet up?  Come round here if you want.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #281 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:10:14 pm »
I take it they operate normal curry house times - food & beer served until midnight?

The weather forecast is still crap, but if it's not raining when I leave the chess club at 7.30 I could be there. Texts will be sent either way.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #282 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:11:37 pm »
I take it they operate normal curry house times - food & beer served until midnight?

The weather forecast is still crap, but if it's not raining when I leave the chess club at 7.30 I could be there. Texts will be sent either way.

I hope you can make it.  It won't be as wet as the Blue Moon Ride!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #283 on: 20 October, 2009, 05:35:57 pm »
I'm slightly more likely than 'doubtful' now, feeling a bit more like it and feeling MOST undermiled this week (done only 23 miles since Saturday, argh! I'll never keep on track doing that...)

If it's completely tipping down with rain I am less likely but we shall see. At the moment I'm 50/50. The draw of a good curry is significant.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #284 on: 20 October, 2009, 08:36:26 pm »
Evening all,

I've called the Jalsa Ghar and reserved a table for 6 at 20:45.  The table is away from the entrance door so we won't get a chill every time a customer walks through :)  If we aren't 6 I'm sure they will understand particularly if we have a good excuse for any missing rider - went the wrong way down the disused railway line etc.

I'll be doing my best to utilise layers and will bring a little towel so I'm not sitting there covered in mud.

They said we can bring the bikes through to the back garden or lock them up at the front.

It will be a slow ride for me as I'll be on the MTB tomorrow night and will probably cycle straight to the Rayne station from Howe Street.  I'll then meet Oaky and whoever else from there.

edit to add:  I'm based in Howe Street near Great Waltham if anyone wants to park at mine and ride up you'll all more than welcome.

Chief

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #285 on: 20 October, 2009, 10:29:07 pm »

A swifty at a pub along the way might be a good idea.  We can go thru Notley Green and past The Cricketers so that's an option too.

[...]

Where shall we meet up?  Come round here if you want.

I'll come round to your garage door as usual for 6:30.

I was planning to use this route fragment as part of the outbound which conveniently takes us past both the S&C and Queen Anne's, in case Tomsk can pick us up there (although he may head straight to Rayne and see us there).  I suspect this bears off towards Willows green too early for the cricketer's, if that's where think it is...  I'm open to suggestions though - happy to follow you to Rayne.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #286 on: 21 October, 2009, 07:50:08 am »

A swifty at a pub along the way might be a good idea.  We can go thru Notley Green and past The Cricketers so that's an option too.

[...]

Where shall we meet up?  Come round here if you want.

I'll come round to your garage door as usual for 6:30.

I was planning to use this route fragment as part of the outbound which conveniently takes us past both the S&C and Queen Anne's, in case Tomsk can pick us up there (although he may head straight to Rayne and see us there).  I suspect this bears off towards Willows green too early for the cricketer's, if that's where think it is...  I'm open to suggestions though - happy to follow you to Rayne.

6:30 by the garage door is fine.  

Your route is good though we could carry on up the road that runs alongside the A131 past the Green Dragon then into Notley Green, say "Hello" to Mrs Hedges and get onto the FW via Great Notley Country Park and Fairyhall Lane.  It's a bit more off-roady so might add to the general theme and merriment.  It might sound like I know where I'm going but probably don't so we'll get lost - naturally!

« Reply #287 on: 21 October, 2009, 09:22:27 am »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #288 on: 21 October, 2009, 09:25:43 am »
Latest forecasts shows cloud but no rain for this evening  :thumbsup:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4269
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/chelmsford_forecast_weather.html

Metcheck is still indicating rain which is fine by me as I have been looking forward to a slippy drippy hoon along the Flitch Way  :thumbsup:

« Reply #289 on: 21 October, 2009, 09:31:07 am »
I've cycled into work despite the rain and now the outlook for the rest of the day and evening has improved on yesterdays forecast. :thumbsup: I don't really want to hang about at work until after 7pm just to meet folk at the old Rayne station, so I'll probably head home at the usual time and come back out again later. Perhaps a meet at the S&C would be convenient? I almost certainly won't be eating curry, I'll probably have a couple of beers and then make a beeline for Chelmsford - would rather not be out too late, I need my Zzzz's. ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #290 on: 21 October, 2009, 09:37:01 am »
I've cycled into work despite the rain and now the outlook for the rest of the day and evening has improved on yesterdays forecast. :thumbsup: I don't really want to hang about at work until after 7pm just to meet folk at the old Rayne station, so I'll probably head home at the usual time and come back out again later. Perhaps a meet at the S&C would be convenient? I almost certainly won't be eating curry, I'll probably have a couple of beers and then make a beeline for Chelmsford - would rather not be out too late, I need my Zzzz's. ::-)

I don't know what Mr O has arranged reegarding meeting up with others en route but if we leave my garage door at 6:30 we should be at the S&C by about 7pm.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #291 on: 21 October, 2009, 09:47:04 am »
Is it still meeting at 7:30pm at Rayne station for those joining at that point?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #292 on: 21 October, 2009, 11:25:01 am »
Is it still meeting at 7:30pm at Rayne station for those joining at that point?

Yes - that's the plan.  The itinerary/stops/timings  look like this:-

1830 Witham contingent rendezvous behind the bike shedsOD's garage.
1900 arrive/leave - Square and Compasses Fuller St (*)
1930 all meet up at RainRayne station to plodge along the Flitch Way
2015ish BEER (or TEA)
2045ish CURRY

(*) I intend to give it a bit of welly on the OD's garage to S&C leg, to try and get there in time for a sneaky pint of Stoker's Ale to set me up for the rest of the journey.  If anyone following is the route in future could you look out for any of OD's lungs which may get coughed up en-route and keep them safe for him.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #293 on: 21 October, 2009, 11:28:32 am »
^^^ You're a funny man  :-*

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #294 on: 21 October, 2009, 12:15:15 pm »
[...] get onto the FW via Great Notley Country Park and Fairyhall Lane.

hmm... I may, in that case, spend the afternoon breaking tyre levers and swearing profuselyfitting my Marathon+ tyres to the Spesh Globe City.

It's a bit more off-roady so might add to the general theme and merriment.  It might sound like I know where I'm going but probably don't so we'll get lost - naturally!

Merriment is good.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #295 on: 21 October, 2009, 12:21:42 pm »
I think we're going to get very wet  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #296 on: 21 October, 2009, 01:39:53 pm »
hmm... I may, in that case, spend the afternoon breaking tyre levers and swearing profuselyfitting my Marathon+ tyres to the Spesh Globe City.

Actually, I won't be doing this - I went to remove the rear wheel on the Globe to refit the mudguard and think about the M+s, only to find that it had gone a long way out of true.  A quick check revealed no broken spokes, so I started looking for the loose ones to start truing it and noticed that the rim has cracked in a number of places.  :o

Basically,  there are a number of cracks near the spoke holes where the drive-side spokes connect.  The rim is toast.

Tonight, therefore, I will either be borrowing mrs_o's bike, or negotiating the Flitch Way (and any other off-road shenanigans that OD has on his agenda) on 700x25c slicks  :-\

Since it's drive-side, I'm going to assume that I put down awesome, wheel-threatening amounts of power.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #297 on: 21 October, 2009, 01:58:48 pm »
I would go for Mrs O's bike.  I can't get a film crew in time to record you trying to do the Flitch Way on slicks!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #298 on: 21 October, 2009, 02:03:43 pm »
I'm peeved, just got back from Uni (and a drenching on the way home) to have a lukewarm shower and discover the boiler has tripped out somehow. Uncle James knows how to reset it - but he's not answering his phone! I shall retire to bed (electric underblanket) and hope to warm up soon.

I am still thinking about coming tonight. How rough is the Flitch Trail? I get pretty muddy down at ground level on my trike...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #299 on: 21 October, 2009, 02:05:00 pm »
I'm peeved, just got back from Uni (and a drenching on the way home) to have a lukewarm shower and discover the boiler has tripped out somehow. Uncle James knows how to reset it - but he's not answering his phone! I shall retire to bed (electric underblanket) and hope to warm up soon.

I am still thinking about coming tonight. How rough is the Flitch Trail? I get pretty muddy down at ground level on my trike...

It's not that bad at all - you'll be fine   :thumbsup: