Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369272 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #475 on: 10 September, 2012, 09:59:14 am »
On the way out of Studley on the Macride this afternoon, a Mk 1 oik comes bounding across a car park in our general direction.  "Excuse me!" he shouts.  "Yes?" said I, realising it was directed at me.  "Is she disabled?" (gesturing at barakta, some tens of metres ahead of me)  "Er, yes?" I reply, wearily.  Satisfied, he about turns and walks back to his Saxo[1].   ???

Inspirational.

My brother once came visiting on his recumbent trike. An elderly lady later asked me who was the "poor disabled lad" she saw me out riding with.    :-\
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #476 on: 10 September, 2012, 10:09:49 am »
I had that on Wednesday. Drunkard out of the pub says I've escaped from the paralympics, and I said "Yeah, it's me legs" and pedalled off. Don't think he understood.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #477 on: 10 September, 2012, 02:34:48 pm »
On the way out of Studley on the Macride this afternoon, a Mk 1 oik comes bounding across a car park in our general direction.  "Excuse me!" he shouts.  "Yes?" said I, realising it was directed at me.  "Is she disabled?" (gesturing at barakta, some tens of metres ahead of me)  "Er, yes?" I reply, wearily.  Satisfied, he about turns and walks back to his Saxo[1].   ???

Inspirational.

[1] Okay, I didn't actually see the car.

Surely the correct answer is "No, she's downright fucking tenacious"?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #478 on: 10 September, 2012, 02:52:35 pm »
Another correct and accurate answer would be,
"Well yes, but she's a lot more 'able' than you are or ever will be, mate."
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #479 on: 10 September, 2012, 03:52:02 pm »
My standard reply is "I'm not disabled, I'm just missing a bit." .........  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #480 on: 10 September, 2012, 04:05:33 pm »
It's karma, though.  Someone at Critical Mass on friday spotted the deaf symbol[1] on her rear mudguard and proceeded to have a conversation with her in sign language while they were riding along.  Which is surprisingly difficult to do on a two-wheeler (DAHIKT)  :thumbsup:

[1] Which I molished after a couple of frustrated bell-ringer incidents on cyclepaths.

ian

« Reply #481 on: 10 September, 2012, 06:59:34 pm »
I had a nice "whatyadoinginthefuckingmiddleoftheroad' in Nottingham yesterday. "Cycling" was my answer, the understanding of which seemed for him to be the intellectual equivalent of contemplating the finer points of quantum mechanics for the rest of us. Also, it turned out this premium grade knobchuckler was in the wrong lane anyway. As I cycled up to the side of him (now he was in the correct lane at the red light he'd been so eager to reach before me), ready to despatch a loud Nelson "ha ha!", he did a runner through the red light, scattering a few pedestrians who had had the temerity to think the green man symbol meant cross.

London today was no better. A car stuck behind me for entire seconds as we approach the junction with a main road (does time run slower for these idiots?), doing the usual agressive revving that only makes me go slower. He pushed around me so he could nudge out into traffic. I figure there's no point antagonising drivers like this, it's quite patent they're beyond reason, to be honest I pity them and their boiling, pointless agression. Anyway, he totally blanked me as he pushed ahead, and then once he was on his way down the road, I got a doppler shifted "caaaaaannnnnntttttttt" yelled from his side window. They're oh so brave in their tin cans.

« Reply #482 on: 10 September, 2012, 08:27:09 pm »
We have been getting further evidence that everyone loves a tandem. The number of proto-chavs we've heard announcing to each other that "double bikes" or "two-er" are really cool..

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #483 on: 13 September, 2012, 02:28:41 pm »
I've just found out that the oik I encountered four months ago has been found guilty of (and it's a mouthful) using towards another person threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause that person to believe that immediate unlawful violence will be used against him or another by any person, or to provoke the immediate use of unlawful violence by that person.
Sentencing is in a months time.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #484 on: 13 September, 2012, 02:35:23 pm »
A good result so far then.
Getting there...

« Reply #485 on: 13 September, 2012, 02:58:19 pm »
We have been getting further evidence that everyone loves a tandem. The number of proto-chavs we've heard announcing to each other that "double bikes" or "two-er" are really cool..
That is undoubtedly true. Recently I've had: 'That's a COOL bike', 'Wow look at that', 'Lady, can I have a go? - LADY!' and 'umphff'. The last was the noise made by a pedestrian standing in the road who was going to nip past as soon as I'd gone. Only I hadn't quite finished going and he had to do a sudden rethink :facepalm:. That is on top of the usual 'you've lost someone' and 'shouldn't there be someone there?' gesturing at the stoker seat.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #486 on: 13 September, 2012, 03:12:18 pm »
Greeting from a fellow cyclist this morning whilst I was leaving, and he was entering, Great Bardfield.

"Hello Beardie!"

You've been warned once already about wearing a mankini in public Wowers. Time for that Brazilian methinks.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #487 on: 13 September, 2012, 05:39:52 pm »

Hmmm.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #488 on: 13 September, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »
I had to laugh a couple of weeks ago, in the last few miles of the Schiehallion Sunrise. I was riding a good bit behind mad recumbent man xrtim when I passed a few yoofs hanging about at a crossroads.
"Hey mister" one of them cried, "there's a man just went past, and he was riding a bike like <this>." They were all sat on the pavement, arms outsretched and waving their legs in the air.  ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #489 on: 13 September, 2012, 06:22:24 pm »
I had to laugh a couple of weeks ago, in the last few miles of the Schiehallion Sunrise. I was riding a good bit behind mad recumbent man xrtim when I passed a few yoofs hanging about at a crossroads.
"Hey mister" one of them cried, "there's a man just went past, and he was riding a bike like <this>." They were all sat on the pavement, arms outsretched and waving their legs in the air.  ;D

Hahahahahaha!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #490 on: 13 September, 2012, 08:54:41 pm »
Cycling through Taunton on a very rainy night in June, getting towards the end of the Avalon Sunrise 400.
The streets awash with pissed morons. I've never had so much abuse over 400 meters. It was deafening.
It should be an Olympic event. I quite liked it. ;)
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

gordon taylor

« Reply #491 on: 15 September, 2012, 01:37:45 pm »
Very much Not Oiks:

Slogging to town on my trike, up and round a blind bend... two hand-cyclist tricycle recumbents go streaking past the other way.

The first shouts "Hi"

The second says "Ay-up-right!"

Class... on every level!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  :thumbsup:

« Reply #492 on: 24 September, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »
Not an oik, and not shouted -

as I was cycling through a council estate (alone on the tandem), a chap who was walking the other way said: 'middle-class, middle-class, middle-class, middle-class'. When I looked at him over my shoulder after I'd passed, he looked directly at me and repeated it several times ???.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #493 on: 24 September, 2012, 11:19:05 pm »
You hadn't just got a bowl out to make a Pot Noodle in or anything like that, had you?   :D

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #494 on: 24 September, 2012, 11:24:50 pm »
Were you holding a Mary Poppins style umbrella? And, err... flying?  ;D

Phil W

« Reply #495 on: 25 September, 2012, 01:09:55 pm »
I tend to be fairly relaxed about insults on my commute.  I do it every day and someone might be waiting the next day with a group of mates.  But one time a group of teenage girls played chicken with me; I ran one of them over.  "Why'd you do that?", "Couldn't stop in time!".  Luckily I was on the mountain bike rather than road bike; so I came out fine. They wouldn't play chicken with me on subsequent times  :'(

cornelius

• Three wheels on my wagon...
« Reply #496 on: 01 October, 2012, 12:35:34 am »
Once had some cheeky chaps and chappesses throwing cans (some full) at me on a midnight start to a Cardiff Byways Randonne. I didn't stop to retrieve the overs and merely kept me head down :-\ however I've often regretted it since...
Like Jehu, Son of Nimshi, who drove like a maniac...

« Reply #497 on: 01 October, 2012, 11:28:24 am »
A couple of positive ones recently:

"Allez! Allez! Allez!" From a White Silver Van Man near Gt. Dunmow.

"Come on! Come on! Nearly there!" From a couple of workmen as I approached the summit of a short sharp climb out of the Roding valley.

Maybe we need a non-Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists thread!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #498 on: 01 October, 2012, 11:35:47 am »
Perhaps we do.  On Friday, after we'd been out on the Galaxy tandem, we were riding up a street near home, when someone started shouting from a balcony.  Eventually, we worked out he was calling to Butterfly that she'd 'got some help' this time.  Apparently, he's seen her before, riding her Helios solo.  I guess one black tandem is like another.  But the man was being very encouraging. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #499 on: 01 October, 2012, 12:08:37 pm »
Isn't it actually obligatory to shout "he/she's fallen off" to a solo tandem rider?