Linked Events

• Margate by Moonlight: 26 May, 2018

Author Topic: 🌙 Margate by Moonlight  (Read 4401 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
🌙 Margate by Moonlight
« on: 13 March, 2018, 11:34:34 am »
A night ride from London, through Kent, to the beach. Margate by Moonlight is LBBG's tribute (and warm up?) to the long-established Dunwich Dynamo ride.

The ride is on the night of Saturday 26 May (Bank Holiday weekend) and close to a full moon. No entry fees, no tickets, no closed roads, but hopefully an enjoyable ride.

The ride starts at Bernie Spain Gardens in Central London and ends at Margate beach.

Full info at - https://www.facebook.com/events/961413880675624/
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: 🌙 Margate by Moonlight
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2018, 11:51:54 am »
could be up for this! :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2018, 12:25:15 pm »
NON-TEXT character in the title  :o

It's the beginning of the end I tell you!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2018, 12:41:54 pm »
In case anyone asks about pace: I'm expecting there'll be a main group who will take about 8-9 hours including time for breaks. You can either ride with the group or ride faster/slower at your own pace with a Garmin etc. 
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:04:01 am »
NON-TEXT character in the title  :o

It's the beginning of the end I tell you!

Yebbut you've used a smiley - don't let Sam find out . . .

Rob

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2018, 10:13:10 am »
LOL
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2018, 10:32:05 am »
In case anyone asks about pace: I'm expecting there'll be a main group who will take about 8-9 hours including time for breaks. You can either ride with the group or ride faster/slower at your own pace with a Garmin etc.

Sooo, what your saying , is your doing a F A S T ride on whippet steeds, and anyone else, on tourers,  will be left behind! Bit anti social!, avg pace would be?   20kph? 22kph? 25kph? 30kph? or FAST kph?  ;) :)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2018, 10:52:56 am »
@BP I wasn't saying that - just that from past experience with the same group over that sort of distance, that tends to be the typical pace. If it takes longer that's not a problem - we wouldn't leave anyone behind who wanted to ride in the group. I do all rides on a hybrid with 37mm tyres which nobody has described as "fast" before :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2018, 05:25:57 pm »
The Facebook link for 'full info' provides no information whatsoever.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2018, 05:28:57 pm »
@BP I wasn't saying that - just that from past experience with the same group over that sort of distance, that tends to be the typical pace. If it takes longer that's not a problem - we wouldn't leave anyone behind who wanted to ride in the group. I do all rides on a hybrid with 37mm tyres which nobody has described as "fast" before :)

ah! that sound ok then......big smiley face!!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2018, 06:30:02 pm »
Arse. I thought Facebook would show the event description without needing to log in. It says:

🌙 The ride is on the Bank Holiday weekend and close to a full moon. No entry fees, no tickets, no closed roads, but hopefully an enjoyable ride.

🕙 We will leave the South Bank about 2200/2230 and head out of London into the Kent lanes, arriving on the beach about breakfast time. Riders will need to be fairly self-sufficient but there is a useful halfway stop in the form of the M2 services. Trains can get you back to London from Margate.

🔀 Indicative route: https://www.strava.com/routes/11385225

2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2018, 04:29:50 pm »
Just bumping this which is the weekend after the weekend after next. The route has been updated and shouldn't change significantly in terms of villages and towns (it is an 'advisory' route of course :) . All welcome and hopefully the current weather continues...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2018, 11:22:16 am »
Looks like a fun ride! Will see about roping some other punters into the bargain. I've also got some family friends in Margate who might let me crash.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2018, 02:51:10 pm »
Excellent, hopefully see you on the South Bank.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000