Author Topic: Audax UK website down  (Read 5527 times)

Re: Audax UK website down
« Reply #25 on: 20 February, 2019, 03:40:08 pm »
Well hopefully it will be fixed by the weekend; given it's going to be scorchio (for February) there is likely be a last minute flurry of entries; myself included.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2019, 05:45:29 pm »
www.aukweb.net is working again.

Andy Corless

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #27 on: 20 February, 2019, 06:30:42 pm »
...and I've just entered a mandatory route DIYxGPS successfully  :thumbsup:
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #28 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:04:13 pm »
www.aukweb.net is working again.

Andy Corless

Limited access - you might get what you want, you might not.

Some areas are prompting you to return in a couple of days
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #29 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:24:33 pm »
just arrived home from the above audax, so could not see the request to delete the image earlier.. i rode to the start to see if i can ride and thankfully the organiser kindly accepted entry on the line and had spare brevet cards; a day well spent with 269k in the legs.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #30 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:03:24 pm »
thankfully the organiser kindly accepted entry on the line and had spare brevet cards
Maybe my loss was your gain!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #31 on: 21 February, 2019, 08:27:13 am »
thankfully the organiser kindly accepted entry on the line and had spare brevet cards
Maybe my loss was your gain!

could have been, there were a dozen or so of dns cards on the table. i hope all is well!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 21 February, 2019, 10:29:23 am »

Seems to be fixed, I can log in.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #33 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:03:07 pm »
It's interesting, the complete silence from the board on the matter.  Not a whisper.

« Reply #34 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:06:03 pm »
It's interesting, the complete silence from the board on the matter.  Not a whisper.

Early days yet, I'm still awaiting a reply to a query sent Autumn 2017 .
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #35 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:18:42 pm »

Not sure what you are expecting here. This was an issue with the old server that in the slow process of being replaced by the new site (as discussed ad nauseum), if anything it reinforces their decision to proceed with the IT refresh.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #36 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:21:53 pm »

Not sure what you are expecting here. This was an issue with the old server that in the slow process of being replaced by the new site (as discussed ad nauseum), if anything it reinforces their decision to proceed with the IT refresh.

Just a statement, something like "sorry, we're working on it".  An indication that someone had noticed,

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:28:32 pm »
There were a couple of tweets[1] from @AudaxUK

But in general with these things, it's a balance between trying to solve the problem and communicating what's going on.  There are strong arguments that time spent communicating prolongs the lack of resolution, and that you sometimes need to get a long way towards solving the problem before you can make realistic estimates.  The right balance is only ever clear in hindsight.

[1] Obviously these things are best done out-of-band: Even if it were practical to modify the website(s) to announce the issue, who's to know they aren't going to have to bring the whole thing down in order to resolve it?  Twitter is a pretty good platform for this sort of thing, as it's easy to find and follow in real-time, easy to update and doesn't suffer the walled-garden problems of Facebook.  I don't know if the AUK forum was affected by this issue, but conceivably there are circumstances where it might be (eg. by a hosting or DNS problem).

« Reply #38 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:38:44 pm »

It does highlight that we're still 100% dependent on the old site staying up, and will be for several more years, possibly indefinitely, yet there's no sign of any plan or money for its upkeep and maintenance.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #39 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:44:04 pm »

Obviously these things are best done out-of-band: Even if it were practical to modify the website(s) to announce the issue, who's to know they aren't going to have to bring the whole thing down in order to resolve it?  Twitter is a pretty good platform for this sort of thing, as it's easy to find and follow in real-time, easy to update and doesn't suffer the walled-garden problems of Facebook.  I don't know if the AUK forum was affected by this issue, but conceivably there are circumstances where it might be (eg. by a hosting or DNS problem).

+1
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #40 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:49:20 pm »
There were a couple of tweets[1] from @AudaxUK

But in general with these things, it's a balance between trying to solve the problem and communicating what's going on.  There are strong arguments that time spent communicating prolongs the lack of resolution, and that you sometimes need to get a long way towards solving the problem before you can make realistic estimates.  The right balance is only ever clear in hindsight.

I know about the tweets cos I sent them. 
The only people I know have been involved are FF, Terry (both IT delegates) and the one who reported it (me).