Author Topic: New website  (Read 4451 times)

New website
« on: 03 February, 2019, 08:39:54 pm »
New Audax Website just up then, Events are nicer to see now and looks more modern, any thoughts ?

Re: New website
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:50:09 pm »
Events page is horrid in my view. It's much harder to quickly see what events are taking place on the same day.

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:53:59 pm »
For those not aware new site is now at Audax.uk and not the old Aukweb site

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2019, 09:28:44 pm »

Results page is giving weird data. Says I've done 3 200km calendar events on 2019-09-30. I didn't know I'd done rides in the future...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2019, 10:00:26 pm »
QG - can you send a screen shot of your odd results to me (membership@audax.uk) and we can see if this is a bug that needs to be reported to the software people.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2019, 10:12:48 pm »
QG - can you send a screen shot of your odd results to me (membership@audax.uk) and we can see if this is a bug that needs to be reported to the software people.

Sent.

J
--

« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2019, 10:21:05 pm »
Not that I ever bother with the certificates but I get:

Problem creating certificate.
Please note : certificates are not available for provisional results.

when I press the button on my 'Dashboard' on the new website for an event that works OK on the old website.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2019, 11:07:36 pm »
Not that I ever bother with the certificates but I get:

Problem creating certificate.
Please note : certificates are not available for provisional results.

when I press the button on my 'Dashboard' on the new website for an event that works OK on the old website.

Agreed - it does the same for me. This will be passed on to the supplier.

If you do notice specific issues with the new site (like these bugs, broken links etc) please report them to webcontent@audax.uk. It was just chance really that I happened to find this thread and can pick them up, the mail address is a more reliable way to get issues to the right person.

« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:09:47 am »
Havent noticed any difference, putting champagne back on ice, postponed firework display and rescheduled open-air concert.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2019, 07:51:44 am »
thus far, it is a pretty useless interface, as any operation goes via the old audax.net website...

Look wise, certainly it doesn't justify the massive outlay, but I understand this is not supposed to be "pretty", but rather functional... at the moment it is neither  :P

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2019, 09:43:23 am »
I think it is supposed to be pretty.

All permanents have an event date of 'last day of this season'.  Results listings should reference the 'date ridden' rather than the 'event date'.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:02:00 am »
I think it is supposed to be pretty.

well, it's not... without going into companies that have paid similar money for their website (or more), I have seen better looking sites made with Wordpress and a $ 50 template.

I appreciate the complexity of AUK site is not suited to Wordpress, but if we talk about "pretty", then....

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:20:41 am »
All permanents have an event date of 'last day of this season'.  Results listings should reference the 'date ridden' rather than the 'event date'.

These are over seas BRM's. The problem with displaying them all with the same date, is I have no way of easily seeing which of my overseas BRM's have been added, and which haven't. It worked with the old site just fine.

J

--

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:28:08 am »
(I feel) There should be a default distance from postcode in the search, maybe 5km, otherwise you just get a dialog box asking you for a distance. Most sites have a default distance, I'd have thought it was expected.

The progress update has a comma on the KM ridden but not for the number of riders

There's grammar sloppiness that should be addressed too...
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:41:11 am »
From a very quick glance, not logging in, it looks identical to the audax.uk that was launched a few months ago. I do agree with what Flatus said (harder to see at a glance events on same day v aukweb.net) but not sure how much of a problem this is. Guess this depends whether you're looking for a particular event or "an event to do on a particular day". For the non-Auk, I think the home page with intros and photos is more welcoming and helpful than starting with a list of events.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:04:06 am »

Argh, what is the cookie time out set to for the login? Wish there was a "remember me" option. Not sure why but when I logged in I didn't get the option to allow my browser to remember my login info. This is a right faff.

I'll email the address above.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:05:36 am »

I should add that my Perms display correctly. It's just the overseas rides that don't.

J
--

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:15:24 pm »
For the non-Auk, I think the home page with intros and photos is more welcoming and helpful than starting with a list of events.

Starting with a list of events is a feature that was introduced after it was heavily requested on this very forum.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:23:38 pm »
For the non-Auk, I think the home page with intros and photos is more welcoming and helpful than starting with a list of events.

Starting with a list of events is a feature that was introduced after it was heavily requested on this very forum.
... and to be fair, it was a good suggestion.

If you go to some sort of "sports/hobby event website" there is a strong chance it is to discover/enter their events. you don't just stumble on such a website - you've already been partially sold the general idea by some other means (friends, facebook, forum chat, BBC Scotland docco ... ) .

I've been through the same process with other niches (e.g. parkRun, time trials, cyclo-cross). If there isn't an event accessible to you, it's no use finding a load of other info about the thing!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:28:03 pm »
The event map is either new or at least much more prominent than before. With my limited UK geography I found it very helpful.

« Reply #20 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:41:27 pm »
The event map is either new or at least much more prominent than before. With my limited UK geography I found it very helpful.

Be wary of the map view. If you have multiple rides from the same start location, you'll only see 1. It is only when you zoom in a long way that you start to see the other events just poking out from behind the first one.

Actually, just spotted some rides are just not shown in the map view. Checked for the Horsepower using a search for rides within 50km of my home, and it is not displayed at all on the map. Perhaps it is hidden under the Woodman or Woodman's Daughter, but no amount of zooming will make it appear.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:47:36 pm »
I can't say I have any problems with it, but then I was happy with the previous version as well.

Go to Choose a Ride - Calendar Events, first column is the date, makes it pretty easy to see 3 events on the 16th Feb from where I'm looking.

VFM I can't comment on, as I have no idea what it cost and my perception of good/bad/functional is not the same as others.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

whosatthewheel

« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:50:02 pm »
VFM I can't comment on, as I have no idea what it cost

Still unclear, but abundantly in 6 figures

« Reply #23 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:51:34 pm »
Go to Choose a Ride - Calendar Events, first column is the date, makes it pretty easy to see 3 events on the 16th Feb from where I'm looking.

Agreed. My caution was in respect to the map view, which I've found does not display all events.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:54:43 pm »
I haven't tried the map view, but I found the old one pretty uninspiring anyhow
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens