Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 97483 times)

Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #350 on: 15 December, 2016, 05:57:25 pm »
More on Ginge.
After his adventure he's started having fits. He has occasionally had them in the past but they were getting frequent, one a day.
So, back to the vet on Monday. Probably something getting to the meninges, the lining of the brain and spinal cord. Might be a tumour, probably benign; might be something else.  Only real way to be sure is a scan which is over a grand. Considering the various prognoses that's not worth it. So he's on more tablets. These have to be every 12 hours or as close as we can get. That is going to make weekends away a bit tricky but we'll cope with that. At least he hasn't had a fit since he started on the tablets that we know of. But it would appear we are in the twilight.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #351 on: 16 December, 2016, 09:33:42 am »
Aw.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #352 on: 02 February, 2017, 07:59:02 pm »
Tig died yesterday.  He was my parents' cat and would have been 19 in April.  I reckon he had a pretty good life.

I will miss him.  He always greeted me when I saw him and loved to drag me round the garden sampling the catmint.

Dad's a bit upset.  Mum is heartbroken.

He has made a couple of appearances in the gratuitous cat pics thread so here's one last one of him enjoying the winter sun on Boxing Day.

:'(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #353 on: 02 February, 2017, 08:02:34 pm »
:( hugs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #354 on: 02 February, 2017, 08:06:38 pm »
Aw  :(

Black cats rock thobut  :)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #355 on: 02 February, 2017, 08:27:48 pm »
Aww sorry to hear this. 19 is a good old age! Sounds like he was a lovely cat.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #356 on: 02 February, 2017, 10:30:22 pm »

Black cats rock thobut  :)

^This. Sorry Jonbuoy :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #357 on: 03 February, 2017, 09:13:23 am »
Sorry to hear it. Sympathies.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #358 on: 05 February, 2017, 12:17:55 pm »
My friend Jane had to have her cat Lana put to sleep this morning after she developed heart failure.  :(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #359 on: 09 February, 2017, 01:06:32 pm »
Ginger, my long-haired feline friend next door, has been enabled to rest in peace after a short illness with a fast-growing inoperable tumour on his spine.  Thankfully, he had an interesting life and owned many different humans in different houses.

I photographed him last year during one of his regular visits:

https://goo.gl/photos/8P1Q4YWfP2Jc1KoE9

What a beauty.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #360 on: 24 February, 2017, 08:08:45 pm »
Ginger, my long-haired feline friend next door, has been enabled to rest in peace after a short illness with a fast-growing inoperable tumour on his spine.  Thankfully, he had an interesting life and owned many different humans in different houses.

I photographed him last year during one of his regular visits:

https://goo.gl/photos/8P1Q4YWfP2Jc1KoE9

What a beauty.

Awww Ginger was beautiful!

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #361 on: 11 May, 2017, 06:53:44 pm »

Dunno if the link will work, but this is my best mate for the last 15 years, Baggins, the only cat I've ever had from a teensie kitten, till the end.  We knew he was beginning to get old, at about 15 and 4 months, but I wasn't expecting him to stop eating yesterday, and start to look distinctly unwell.  Vets this morning for tests, had a phone call from them asking for the OK to put him on intravenous stuff to help sort him out, and suggested we come in later to plan how we were going to care for him with his various imbalances.  Had another call, to say he wasn't doing well, but he died before we could get there ten minutes later.  I can't stop crying, and Alfie doesn't understand why Baggins isn't there meowing for his tea. Utterly heartbroken.
Wombat

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #362 on: 11 May, 2017, 07:05:05 pm »
Aw, that's rather sudden.  Sorry, Wombat.

barakta

« Reply #363 on: 11 May, 2017, 09:39:41 pm »
Ohno, that's awful. I am so sorry to hear this Wombat, so sudden and unexpected. Thinking of you and poor Alfie.

« Reply #364 on: 12 May, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »
Willow our cat passed away peacefully this morning. Mrs Trekker and I were both with her and she was at home. She was 17 and had been suffering with arthritis and an overactive thyroid for the past six months and had been deteriorating quite quickly.

She did well getting as far as she did. We knew this day has been coming for a while but it doesn't make it any easier.

I'll post a pic soon.

I hope you and Alfie are doing OK Wombat.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #365 on: 13 May, 2017, 09:50:53 am »
 :(

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #366 on: 13 May, 2017, 04:06:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that, trekker :(

barakta

« Reply #367 on: 13 May, 2017, 10:27:18 pm »
Last night Chocky cat (the tortie in the pic) the quieter of my stepdad's cats died last night. She was 16 or so and had a tumour which the vet said was a needle stick melanoma or something. It was cut out last year but being malignant had regrown more noticeably over the last few months.

Stepdad (oldskool GP) sensibly realised treatment would be cruel so focused on keeping her as happy as possible. She was getting very thin and sleepy but was otherwise happy, running about a bit, eating well until last night. I think stepdad stayed up with her towards the end and she died peacefully at midnightish. Stepdad is doing that pragmatic medic thing.

Bicky (the ginger cat in pic) hasn't noticed yet - he's mowling for his dinner as usual.  I love this series of pics I got last visit as normally Bicky is being too annoying and attention seeking to be nice to Chocky but here he seems to know to be nice and let her snuggle up (they are siblings)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #368 on: 13 May, 2017, 10:34:40 pm »

Lovely pic. Especially the expression on Bicky's face.

barakta

« Reply #369 on: 13 May, 2017, 11:33:46 pm »
Bicky has ageing cat teef issues so his mouth gets pulled up on one side a lot making him look quite odd sometimes. But he is clearly being quite loving in that pic, it was very companionable sat on sofa with two cats. They were rescue kittehs which had been maltreated so it took a while for them to chill after being taken in by stepdad - his clients (he's an aviation medical examiner) LOVE the cats who say hello to all the pilots when they come to the house surgery for their medicals.

« Reply #370 on: 19 May, 2017, 01:03:40 pm »
Just seen on Facebook that one of our villages characters has passed away, Sweep the little black mongrel terrier. He went everywhere with his owner riding in the tractor with him etc. I remember him being brought into the pub as a tiny pub and introduced to everyone. Lovely little dog but a holy terror as terriers are want to be. This eulogy from his owner says it all:

Well I'm afraid it's the end of an era ,had to say goodby to my best friend for the last 18 years who has brought me joy,anger,sad times ,and everything else that a dog could bring ,he has killed cats,pet rabbits pheasants just about everything he could catch really especially ferrets ,he has gone missing for hrs on end then just turned up as if nothing has happened ,been kidnaped and taken to masham dog pound with a £90,ransom on his head ,had a big operation at 16 tears old they didn't think he would survive and came out even stronger !!! You were one in 10 million sweep going to miss you like. Hell r I p little man xxx
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #371 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:56:09 pm »
Our Ginge couldn't be found when MrsC came home from work at lunchtime and we've not seen him since.
He's deaf, has thyroid and kidney problems, and doesn't tend to spend more than five minutes outdoors at a time.
He's still not come back and we are expecting the worst.
The worst thing is just not knowing. He was feral and came from nowhere. It feels as if he's gone back.

He's the last of our three cats. This is going to be a very empty house.
He's disappeared again. We've looked round the neighbourhood but no sign.  :-\

« Reply #372 on: 19 July, 2017, 06:43:21 pm »
He's disappeared again. We've looked round the neighbourhood but no sign.  :-\
MrsC put notes through doors this afternoon and got a phone call from a house just round the corner.
Ginge was in their back porch. She went to get him back, but he was in a bad way. Both back legs very weak and not interested in food.
We took him to the vet but with her that there was only one real choice.
His 'gotcha' date was 5th November 2005, although he'd been laying siege to the house for over a year before that.
Run free

Ginge by Steve Cunio, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #373 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:48:03 pm »
Sorry Steve, he looks like a fine cat.

barakta

« Reply #374 on: 19 July, 2017, 10:51:07 pm »
Sorry to hear this Steve. He looks like an impressive beast of a cat.