Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636782 times)

spen666

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #575 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:34:46 am »
Has anyone heard the usual pearl of wisdom "it's to cold to snow" yet this year? People who say that should left out on the frozen moors in just their undercrackers.

Most snow in the UK is frontal. It falls when a warm front meets a cold front. So it generally means a warming from cold conditions, followed by heavy snow, turning to rain. The current Arctic conditions are rarer, giving rise to 'the wrong type of snow'. This type of snow is typified by a diamantine sparkle, and it behaves as a powder, it is outside most people's experience, we generally get snow with a high moisture content.

Was thinking that today as I walked to the station. It's really nice snow, like powder.

Tues morning - M Series confesses he likes a bit of the white powder

Tues afternoon - local police execute search warrant at his home?

« Reply #576 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:45:42 am »
was unable to see the 'white lines' today spen

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #577 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:10:41 am »
I WANT MORE SNO  >:(

I don't think you've got long to wait.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #578 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:12:05 am »
I see it's headline news again now that there's a forecast of more of it for SE England.

It's not been out of the news even though SE England has had none to speak of since before Christmas.

Bloody Scottish softies - a bit of bad weather and we never hear the last of it.  :P

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #579 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:19:51 am »
We have had a little snow fall overnight plus a staedy fall over the last hour giving approx. 0.5 cm cover.
The now hidden sheet ice will cause some problems for all road users.The council don't grit hereabouts
Just agreed with a client to cancel visits today to Congleton & Sandbach

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #580 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:23:29 am »
We just built a snowman :)

« Reply #581 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:35:15 am »

The midnight bell on Twitpic

The pub near my office a few minutes ago, that's the Wonderwood covered in snow, note the wooden cut out trees. They changed the trees for each season.

in the summer, before they built the Wonderwood

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #582 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:35:25 am »
Its a white hell in London, a total whiteout (translation: had to wipe frost of car windows).

Ms Manotea the Elder is off to college today, a day early and hopefully before the snow forecast for tomorrow.

« Reply #583 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:37:27 am »
Just a very little more overnight. But the ice beneath makes anywhere other than main roads very nasty. Not even got the bike out this a.m.

Was difficult enough just walking to local shops yesterday - no attempts to treat pavements means older and/or less agile folk can't go out.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #584 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:38:24 am »
Lot's more here overnight.
Helen (in North Manchester- Whitefield appropriately) can't get in to work and a friend has just texted from the airport. She's not going to London today but she has got me the "duty-free" only bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra that I asked for  :thumbsup:

Some gratuitous "bike in the snow" pictures from earlier:-

They're staged- there's no way I'm going out on the bike today.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #585 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:40:43 am »
Has anyone heard the usual pearl of wisdom "it's to cold to snow" yet this year? People who say that should left out on the frozen moors in just their undercrackers.

"Too cold to snow" is, as you say Not Quite Right.  But it's an understandable one because as it gets really cold, you often experience much less snow.  For instance, apparently Nashville* gets more snow in any given year than the south pole.  So it might be a little cruel to shove a chap out in the cold in nothing more than his underthings just for having a poor grasp of meteorological physics...

It's all to do with moisture levels.  To be precise; water vapour.  Snow starts to form in the atmosphere as water condenses into a tiny droplet. As more and more water vapor condenses onto its surface, the droplet grows. Cold air then freezes this water into an ice crystal.  The coldest weather is almost always associated with very high pressure and very dry air.  If there ain't much moisture, there can't be much snow.

At really chilly temperatures, the saturation vapor pressure is much lower than in slightly warmer areas.  The 'Dew-point' is defined as the temperature at which the air, when cooled, will just become saturated.  Or in other words, the relative humidity must rise to at least 100%. 

At this point, the water vapour ought to start to condense out as a liquid if the dew point is above freezing.   If the dew point is below freezing, it'll become tiny ice crystals.

But this doesn't always happen, and the relative humidity can actually exceed 100% (also known as supersaturation). The vapor can usually change phase only if there is something for it to cling onto.  Believe it or not, even up in the clouds there are enough tiny particles called nuclei, that do just this.  Neat, huh?

But, I hear you saying, "That's all very well but what are you ranting on about, woman!  Anyways, there's a whole shed load of snow at the South Pole!"

Yeah, but in Nashville, it melts every year, innit?

:D

*Like many of us, I was raised in Middle England, not in Nashville Tennessee...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #586 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:40:55 am »
A good 6" here in Manchester and still falling lightly. Recovering from a cold, I shall stay home from work again, tho if I felt 100% well the trip would be easier on foot than it would on yesterday's ice, if somewhat fraught on the bike

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #587 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:41:21 am »
Reading that back, I think I've had too much coffee this morning.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #588 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:46:31 am »
*Like many of us, I was raised in Middle England, not in Nashville Tennessee...

I have seen your banjo.  Are you sure?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #589 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:54:03 am »
...I think I've had too much coffee this morning.

I do not understand this statement.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #590 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:55:00 am »
I have seen your banjo.  Are you sure?

If you'd have seen Phil and I hacking our way through "Duelling Banjos" on Sunday, you'd have been under no illusions of my wholly Britannic origins...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #591 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:56:56 am »
The Devil went down to Georgia Middlesex...
Getting there...

Really Ancien

« Reply #592 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:22:49 am »
One of the most marginal places for skiing is Alabama. They were out on Sunday. The presence of snow-making equipment indicates low temperatures but unreliable precipitation, there's a banjo soundtrack.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kiu770vVibE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kiu770vVibE&rel=1</a>

Damon.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #593 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:26:08 am »
The Devil Went Down on Elgar...

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #594 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:40:58 am »
Bit more snow here. Alot of side roads closed because they are ice and hills. So there are alot of people that cant drive anywhere because of the ice on the roads. Cant walk because of ice on the pavement.
Was a big thing on the local news on it.
My road is fine though so im still getting out on bike alright

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #595 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:42:10 am »
The Devil Went Down on Elgar...

Do they do that sort of thing in Cheltenham?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #596 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:22:38 am »
Bit more snow here. Alot of side roads closed because they are ice and hills. So there are alot of people that cant drive anywhere because of the ice on the roads. Cant walk because of ice on the pavement.
Was a big thing on the local news on it.
My road is fine though so im still getting out on bike alright

It must be cold - your apostrophe key appears to have frozen solid again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #597 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:24:11 am »
Spacebar's struggling, too.
Getting there...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #598 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:31:25 am »
We have finally had a good covering in Tamworth  :)
Let's see how long it lasts.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #599 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:42:02 am »
I am reliably informed that the snow is falling quite heavily in Birmingham now, as per the forecasts.   I'm wistfully peering out of my office window hoping for it to arrive, as promised, in the next half hour or so.