Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 637754 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1050 on: 11 January, 2010, 07:15:05 am »
It snowed again in E. London, and I am not pleased.  I'm back at work today and was going to cycling in but I'm not keen on dealing with ice, etc.  I'll try again tomorrow.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1051 on: 11 January, 2010, 07:41:26 am »
Pants.  I'd de-crudded and de-rusted my bike yesterday afternoon after its recent adventures in London's famous snowdrifts.  Now my younger son's school announces it remains partly closed due to lack of crud and rust-forming substances, so I'm stuck (working) at home.  But given how wet the roads were last night, I'm not altogether sorry not to be out skating on my 23mm slicks.

« Reply #1052 on: 11 January, 2010, 07:45:43 am »
Day eight.

Still no ridey bikey.

>:(

« Reply #1053 on: 11 January, 2010, 08:40:47 am »
Inch or two where I live, snowing as I yomped to the station. Rain in Leeds.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1054 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:08:31 am »
Just grey miserableness here. 0°C, allegedly. Dog sick in night. I stood in it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1055 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:11:54 am »
Just grey miserableness here. 0°C, allegedly. Dog sick in night. I stood in it.
Strange way to keep your toes warm!  ;)
I've been out to the chiropractor and the roads are generally OK, just compacted snow/ice on the quieter junctions. Pavements are OK too, dry slush mostly, but compacted snow/ice in places. I took a walking pole out and used it to good effect.

« Reply #1056 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:14:16 am »
About an inch of snow in Stockwell but the main roads between there and work in Stockwell were clear, prob cos they are busy and mostly bus routes, so I rode in, watching for any rogue icy patches. The hybrid feels like a new bike after its service  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1057 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:22:05 am »
+2.5 degrees and wet horrible rain here. Should clear the snow if it keeps up all day though :thumbsup:  Shame I'm laid low with tonsilitis  :( :( :( :(

« Reply #1058 on: 11 January, 2010, 10:23:52 am »
A balmy 3.5 deg yesterday and 2.5 overnight did not shift the ice. I've brought the MTB to work, to ride home, but stuff falling from the sky is settling and stuff left on the ground is not going. Half the lanes are still ice covered.
When is it going to end?

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1059 on: 11 January, 2010, 10:37:22 am »
Another 2" here last night. 200 feet lower down towards Sheffield town, there has been almost none.
Our road is thus almost impassible to motons but the main road 800 yards away and 80 feet lower is OKish...
Still -1C here.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1060 on: 11 January, 2010, 01:17:03 pm »
It snowed again in E. London, and I am not pleased.

In my bit of E. London it did too, but not enough to generate any form of excitement.

Bah >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1061 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:15:27 pm »
I now haz spiky SNO tyres.

It will never SNO again  :(
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1062 on: 11 January, 2010, 02:22:29 pm »
About another 2 cms (or just under an inch in old money) yesterday evening.  This, coupled with the fact that it was just above freezing this morning, had the downside that our road, which was previously solid ice, is now a thick slush/icy mix.  This makes it harder to cycle on, using the Marathon Winter tyres. 

I think I might need to get a third set of tyres with massive knobblies on, to cope with the thick loose stuff.  Or another bike..............
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1063 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:22:15 pm »
I now haz spiky SNO tyres.

It will never SNO again  :(

My purchase of a small sledge just as last February's thaw came is the reason that Sw18 appears to have missed this so called 'cold snap' that other parts of the country have apparently suffered.

« Reply #1064 on: 11 January, 2010, 09:42:37 pm »
Likewise, I've just got my studded tyres as well, so now we know the snow in London will be gone by the morning!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #1065 on: 11 January, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »
-11ºC most of yesterday, it's warmed up now and running around 0ºC.  Out walking the dogs I saw signs of a potential Great Melt.  But there's still feet of the stuff, the ground is covered everywhere, and I doubt it will disappear quickly.  But by next weekend would be nice - apart from a brief and unsuccessful trial on the trike I haven't been out cycling since mid December.

« Reply #1066 on: 12 January, 2010, 01:06:49 am »
The White Witch has been banished to the wardrode and the Pevensies are returning to the land of Spare Oom.

I am planning on giving the DIY tyres my legs a rest tomorrow and taking Frankenfixie.  Wednesday will be car service day so it's a car + Brompton commute.

« Reply #1067 on: 12 January, 2010, 12:45:07 pm »
Lots of grass shoots now starting to appear through the snow.
Time for spring, time for spring I say...
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1068 on: 12 January, 2010, 04:42:52 pm »
Scotland's entrants in this winter's Darwin awards. Luckily the Union Canal isn't deep - I've taken people canoeing there a few times and my advice to them if they fall out is to stand up and they should find their heads above water.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Zoidburg

« Reply #1069 on: 12 January, 2010, 04:44:28 pm »
Well the thaw lasted all of a day, freezing again now and looking like more snow.

« Reply #1070 on: 12 January, 2010, 04:47:30 pm »
Scotland's entrants in this winter's Darwin awards.

*pet peeve*

If they survived (or didn't make themselves sterile during the stunt) then they're just fuckwits, not Darwin Award candidates.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1071 on: 12 January, 2010, 04:48:31 pm »
The snow in Dorset is coming down as an unusual, liquid-based variant, not previously seen this decade. Nice stiff Northerly to ride into once soaked. Great.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1072 on: 12 January, 2010, 04:49:29 pm »
Hmm.  Looks like we have that sort of sno here, too (Londinium SE1).  Hey-ho.
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1073 on: 12 January, 2010, 06:02:17 pm »
Oh no!  Not again.

I've just looked at Will It Rain.  There's a hell of a lot of stuff heading my way.

Oi.  You lot in the SW.  Is it wet stuff or white stuff?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1074 on: 12 January, 2010, 06:03:39 pm »
Blizzarding a mix of both.  Heavy wet SNO here right now, settling and heatsucky.  It's taken out my satellite dish!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.