Author Topic: What is your pet doing right now?*  (Read 210267 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Reply #1075 on: 14 November, 2018, 03:18:16 pm »
David reports a few traces of a dead mangled pigeon on the lawn.
We know not if the culprit(s) were cat or fox but cats have not been very hungry today.
HA8 has some BIG pigeons.

Big Tom decided our bag of paper for recycling would make a good bed last night.

« Reply #1076 on: 14 November, 2018, 03:39:02 pm »
Probably dreaming of killing something! This morning the kitchen yielded a very pleased-for-herself cat, and two dead mice.  And my wife found a shrew on the lawn. We've been averaging 5 mice a week for the last month.  That's about 2 years worth for the last one.  Not looking forward to the spring....
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1077 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:07:00 am »
And last night around 21:45 she managed to find a Goldfich to kill. God knows where that was roosting, although we do have a large number frequent the bird feeder (albeit normally in daylight) which is around 6m from her catflap. Oh, and there was a(nother) (dead) shrew in the kitchen this morning
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

essexian

« Reply #1078 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:46:21 am »
Finally!!!!

Pearl the semi stray queen (totally white) who had some kittens 10 weeks ago today has finally brought them around for us to see and of course, feed!

There are three of them: A totally black one, a mixed black and white one and a pure white one..... yes, we have a new "BMW"  ;D

They are very nervous but ate two pouches of food between them while hiding in the bushes in our front garden. One of them: "W" did try the summer house but found "Lord Rayner" a very old stray tom asleep in there so moved on quickly.

Quite pleased that they seemed to be fit and healthy. Question is...do we want three more cats (we have already agreed to take on Pearl)? Well.......  ;D

« Reply #1079 on: 07 December, 2018, 04:40:48 pm »
Skulking about. She's in the bad books as after a nice walk for an hour with her friend the cocker spaniel all off lead with loads of running and playing she found a manky old rabbit in the field opposite our house and refused to come back for 3/4 of an hour. Not sure how I can fix this, her recall is pretty good except when she gets a rabbit, everything I read says you need to offer a higher value treat but there is nothing higher value to her than a good smelly old rabbit.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1080 on: 07 December, 2018, 06:15:49 pm »
Chewing on an antler.

ian

« Reply #1081 on: 09 December, 2018, 06:44:01 pm »
Bad Cat is making a Sonos speaker beep by touching the top with her nose. Well, she was until I got fed up of the beeping and shooed her off.

In other good news, she has learned how to use the cat tree we bought to get access to the top of the wardrobe without having to climb the insides. She can now clamber up and open the doors from the top and step in. She can also clamber down without quite the same thump as a five-kilo bag of spuds being dropped from the ceiling.

In other bad news, she tried this the other day to find her inner sanctum already occupied by LMC. Which meant fifteen minutes of them trying to batter the crap out of each other. By the end they were so knackered they were just lying there and punching each other in the heads.

Oh well, they're about to get 10 days in the same cattery run...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1082 on: 25 December, 2018, 03:02:32 pm »
Just been watching next-door-but-one's collie cross herd chickens in from their meadow and back to the coop. Some of them it even picked up and carried for a bit before dropping and chivvying them home. They must have been raised to it - they didn't get in a flap.  It was great watching it going at a flat run to pick up the odd straggler; the meadow is around 100 yards long.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1083 on: 28 December, 2018, 01:01:57 am »
Big Tom was SINGING!

I've never heard him vocalise like this before. David came to the kitchen to investigate the strange sound and spied a ginger cat outside.

Weird!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1084 on: 28 December, 2018, 11:27:44 am »
Just seen a couple of next door's kids knock the ice on their swimming pool with a knuckle then dump their obscenely fat cat on it. Cat very unhappy, but ice held.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1085 on: 05 January, 2019, 03:19:04 pm »
Missus slicing peppers in kitchen. Parrot loves them.

Usual scenario: parrot shrieks for a bit, missus bellows "shut up", bawling duel ensues, parrot eventually gets a bit and shuts up.

Today: parrot shrieks, bellows "shut up" himself, quiets down & makes crunchy noises. Gets a bit immediately.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1086 on: 05 January, 2019, 03:58:36 pm »
Brilliant :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

essexian

« Reply #1087 on: 17 January, 2019, 10:12:27 am »
Today, I will mostly be being sad as today is the day that two of the four kittens who have been living under a neighbours shed will be moved onto a rehoming centre  :(

So, 16 weeks ago, Pearl a stray had four kittens (we thought there were three but two are identical so we didn't realise there were twins) which we have been feeding for the last four weeks. However, they are now of an age where they could be getting sexually active so having spoken to a number of cat societies, we are having them "done" and then rehomed.

Last evening therefore, I set up a trap to catch them: we borrowed the trap from Cat Protection so it is a safe one. We managed to catch three kittens plus one of our own cats, Jamise and two of our neighbours moggies! The three of them went to the vets this morning and then one will come home with us and the other two off to the centre. I am going to try to trap the last one over the next day and move it on also.

Its quite sad as it has been nice seeing kittens grow up. However, as CBH says, we already have enough cats.....  :-\  :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1088 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:16:31 pm »
We were in a similar position last January, though our lot were still semi-feral.

Sympathies!

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1089 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:05:24 pm »
It is so hard to let them go, but they will find their forever homes, which is better than living under a shed.

The fact that you not only caught three kittens but one of your own cats and some of the neighbours' cats made me giggle.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1090 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:14:27 pm »
Cat Protection initially only managed to catch two kittens, leaving heavily pregnant queen, Blackie and BigTom chez nous.
David managed to catch Queen and CP returned to collect her.

We kept Big Tom and Blackie, who were later trapped and neutered.

Queen had another 6 a few days later.

essexian

« Reply #1091 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:43:27 pm »
It is so hard to let them go, but they will find their forever homes, which is better than living under a shed.

The fact that you not only caught three kittens but one of your own cats and some of the neighbours' cats made me giggle.

It made the vet laugh too!

Well, I am old enough to admit I did cry a little when I handed them over: it was sad to see them go but as you say, they will find a good home. We simply don't have space to take them on unless.....hummm....I wonder if CBH would mind moving into the garage....

Well the kitten we are keeping has now joined her mum in the summer house: its very warm in there so she should be okay. I just hope the last kitten also joins them: they were there earlier when I went out to cycling class.

One final thing, the three who were "done" today were all queens! I am so glad we had them done now as given a couple of weeks, no doubt one of the "intact" Toms we have around here would have had a field day!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1092 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:02:25 pm »
No doubt!

Big Tom was humping Blackie for six weeks after they were done.

Blackie would have been around 4 months old.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1093 on: 18 January, 2019, 08:47:31 am »
14lb ginger tabby lump chasing his tail.  Nutter.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #1094 on: 18 January, 2019, 06:18:59 pm »
Being annoying, as my wife is away. This morning Bad Cat refused to believe her food was her food because she didn't see me put it out. She has to see the food go in the bowl for some reason and she was outside. So, I guess Little Monster Cat got a double helping. Which is fine, as Bad Cat is an effalumpuss and doesn't need the calories and LMC at a mighty 3kg definitely does.

As for last night. One cat on the bed. One cat off the bed. One cat on the bed. One cat off the bed. Because they can't be near each other without a boss-level battle-on. LMC has to sleep on feet, Bad Cat on arms with her head resting on your fist. I don't know why. Because I don't want a sack of catatoes giving me a dead arm she's not getting her way. Which is why I woke this morning to find Bad Cat had clamped her mouth around my hand and was trying to physically pull my arm into a suitable position for monorailing.

Sigh, I have this all weekend. I may go to the local Travelodge.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1095 on: 18 January, 2019, 10:22:52 pm »
Big Tom is resting on the floor in the window bay of the lounge, between the wall and the sofa.

We don't yet know if he can escape from this niche...

ETA He escaped from this niche, demanded food and has since left the building.

David's observing the Moon and is likely to get pestered by cats, as is their wont.

There is an Observatory Cats Twitter account I follow.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1096 on: 19 January, 2019, 05:27:14 am »
Sack of catatoes, lol!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #1097 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:44:50 pm »
Bad Cat is running around the garage roof trying to catch her nemeses, the magpies. There's two magpies, I'm sure the same pair, that are always in the garden and they know Bad Cat and her useless ways well, so they just tag-team tease her. She wouldn't know what to do if she did manage to catch one of them, other than get pecked. Corvids are a lot smarter than cats.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1098 on: 19 January, 2019, 02:15:34 pm »
There's no shortage of magpies here but I don't think our cats go for them.
Pigeons, mice, rats and squirrels are another matter...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1099 on: 19 January, 2019, 02:18:39 pm »
Our n-2th neighbours had a young cat who would get into arguments with the local magpies.  The magpies would invariably win, but I don't think the cat realised that.

ETA: Found a pic of him in debate with being laughed at by a crow.