Author Topic: No sense of taste  (Read 4260 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: No sense of taste
« Reply #25 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:23:00 pm »
As discussed previously (https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=106640.0), your body has about 2000kcal of glycogen stored. For most cyclists, this is about 80km worth (I work on the basis of 100km == 2500kcal for my food planning). However for most of the population, it is rare that we scrape the barrel of our glycogen stores, and as such we don't react well to depleting them beyond a certain level.

AIUI a chunk of this - maybe half an hour's worth - is in your muscles and the rest in your liver. Metformin obliges your muscles to use their glycogen continually, while depressing the rate at which the liver releases it as glucose.  This is probably why on yesterday's ride my legs hurt from 100 metres on and got steadily worse: I hadn't planned to ride so I'd taken a 500 mg metformin a couple of hours before.

Anent taste, I often stop halfway round a loop and eat a chocolate chip cookie or something similar. When I'm eating it, it doesn't seem all that sweet but the other day I ate one a couple of hours afterwards and it was so sweet as to be almost sickening.  Again, sensory perception adjusting according to the body's needs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hillbilly

« Reply #26 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:11:37 pm »
This forum is losing it.  The magic is gone.

Why is it left to this late stage to point out that many audax riders have no taste?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 11 December, 2018, 08:01:13 pm »
This forum is losing it.  The magic is gone.

Why is it left to this late stage to point out that many audax riders have no taste?

Because the Fashion Police see us as a lost cause?