Author Topic: British Pedal Car Grand Prix  (Read 4146 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
British Pedal Car Grand Prix
« on: 06 April, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »
As the rules say that pedal cars should have four wheels; what's stopping me temporarily attaching an outrigger with a dummy rear wheel onto a Trice and going to play at the British Pedal Car Grand Prix...?

Reckon I'd clean up  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: British Pedal Car Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:41:33 pm »
"Minimum distance between each wheel on an axle (front or back) = 500 mm"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:43:29 pm »
Would you want to inflict this kind of surgery on your trike?
Crank gear - The axle must be at the same height, give or take 10 centimetres (100 mm) as the top of the seat, including cushions

It sounds like fun though. A nice complement to the YACF bike? Something  based on a recumbent trike?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:45:06 pm »
Link up two SpeedMachines?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Tiger

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2009, 04:11:07 pm »
If these are the same bods who race at Castle Combe - they are quite serious and jolly fast.  I recall one doing 20mph laps.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2009, 04:12:00 pm »
"Minimum distance between each wheel on an axle (front or back) = 500 mm"

Crank gear - The axle must be at the same height, give or take 10 centimetres (100 mm) as the top of the seat, including cushions

Bugger.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2009, 07:51:02 pm »
There used to be a shop in New Milton which had a custom made machine for these races. It was a Windcheetah that had been "cut and shut" to give a fourwheel with rear drive. Very fast!

« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2009, 08:48:16 pm »
Racing isn't always 'non contact', and those machines can shift round a tight circuit, and tyres wear fast.

We had some good city centre races at the Spokesfest events, organised by Roger the Hilldodger in the early 2000's - a team even used to come over from Italy to compete.  :o

I took the italian's machine round for several laps and had all four wheels sliding on some corners - not through braking!  :D :D :D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Hilldodger

« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2009, 04:11:10 pm »
I think if you entered a round of the British Pedal Car Championship you probably get your bottom smacked - some of the races are 24 hours :o
British Pedal Car Championship homepage

We actually have a racing pedal car hanging up in the loft at CM.......I'll just enter you, shall I? :demon:

Pedal Car Jes

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2009, 11:54:43 am »
Yes.

There are many more races than the British Pedal Car Grand Prix which alternates between Ringwood and New Milton every year.

The British Pedal Car Championship is a series of 7 races that runs from April to September on an endurance format.
4 drivers share the car for most races - increasing to 6 for the 24 hour race but there is also a "nutters" class for those who choose to race solo!

Here are the top 3 (in reverse finishing order oddly enough) during the latter stages of the Shrewsbury 100 mile race a week or so back.

All the stuff is on
British Pedal Car Championship homepage

Jes

Pedal Car Jes

« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2009, 03:15:32 pm »
We actually have a racing pedal car hanging up in the loft at CM.......I'll just enter you, shall I? :demon:

I seem to remember that Cyclemagic were 100% absolutely definately going to do some racing at some point?
Perhaps you should enter yourself*.

Jes

*It's a good trick if you can do it!

ed_o_brain

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2009, 03:44:45 pm »
Hey Jes, welcome to YACF and thanks for contributing!

Looks fun!

Hilldodger

« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2009, 04:39:05 pm »

I seem to remember that Cyclemagic were 100% absolutely definately going to do some racing at some point?
Perhaps you should enter yourself*.

Jes

*It's a good trick if you can do it!

All we need is for councils and health authorities all over the country to stop waving money under our noses and asking us to deliver festivals and cycling projects.

I mean, this Friday I'm being paid several hundred quid to ride my penny all day and talk about how wonderful they are ;D

And then on Sat/Sun we have are open weekend ;)

Pedal Car Jes

« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2009, 09:27:23 am »

Looks fun!

It is.
But also, being cycle sport, to make them go fast you have to be prepared to suffer.

The Shrewsbury 100 mile race (160 laps of the cycle circuit there) was decided by 15 seconds after 5 hours of racing and down the field there were several other pairs of cars on the same lap as well. Sometimes it happens like that.