Author Topic: 10 hour pedal car race  (Read 2006 times)

Pedal Car Jes

10 hour pedal car race
« on: 05 May, 2009, 05:04:08 pm »
Hi,

The Welsh 10 hour pedal car race is on this weekend.

2pm - midnight on Saturday at Margam Park.

There isn't much in the way of spectator facilities but you can get a cup of tea and wander round to talk to the teams - it is all very open and friendly!

All the details are on
British Pedal Car Championship homepage

Might be worth dropping in if you are in the area.

gordon taylor

Re: 10 hour pedal car race
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2009, 06:17:09 pm »
I'm intrigued. Are those cars driven by rotating pedals and a chain (like a bike) or by treadle pedals with a rigid linkage?

Thanks.

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »
Gotta be a chain, otherwise they'd be rubbish surely? and I guess shaft drive would be too much fuss with no added benefit. All I can find in the rules under transmission is "Any system to alter velocity ratio between input and output is permitted"

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2009, 07:39:33 pm »
I love their description of the 24 race...

As a team-building exercise, a 24-hour race is the ultimate test anyone could face. An entire day and night of pain, stress, sleep deprivation and (frequently) heavy rain mingled with a lack of hot food.

Forget building bridges over imaginary crocodile-infested swamps; if you want to test your management team, enter a 24. At the end of the race, if they're all still talking to each other nicely, you've got an unbeatable combination. If they're still just talking, you've got a respectable result. If they're all at least still on site, that's a good starting point.

You'll know if the team thing didn't work out.

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2009, 07:46:18 pm »
Gotta be a chain, otherwise they'd be rubbish surely? and I guess shaft drive would be too much fuss with no added benefit. All I can find in the rules under transmission is "Any system to alter velocity ratio between input and output is permitted"

If these are like Scoutcars, they'e pedal and chain. The ones we have are 25 (count 'em) speed - 5 speed block front and rear.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2009, 08:24:19 pm »
Following the link above:

"Good quality second hand cars can be found for around £300 or even as little as £100"

Budget velomobile?

Pedal Car Jes

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2009, 02:15:35 pm »
...but are few and far between.

Either system of drive is permissable but I believe they are now all rotating crank and chain drive.

A couple which have been build with treadles in recent years have proved unsuccessful.

Quiite why you would need 25 gears is a mystery but the car might have been originally built by Adrian Toms who was a class act with that sort of thing.

Pedal Car Jes

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:32:08 am »
Wow, we won! ;D ;D

ed_o_brain

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:42:17 am »
Well done!

Woop woop!

Pedal Car Jes

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2009, 10:10:01 am »
And now I feel like I have Welsh Deer Flu!

A race like that really knocks you for six in the following week. - In some ways the 10 hour is harder than the '24 because it never settles down into a rhythm, it's just flat out the whole way.