Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452358 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #775 on: 31 January, 2015, 03:17:44 pm »
Thank you  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #776 on: 01 February, 2015, 12:36:58 am »
Tarzan seems to have travelled an awful long way today, but it would appear that he has had another vehicle ride incorporated into the track, after track point no 100. Does that shift count as miles until he bungs it into Strava?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #777 on: 01 February, 2015, 12:51:45 am »
As long as his GPS is turned off it it won't show as distance - but there will be track joining the 2 points from when it was turned off to when it was turned back on

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #778 on: 01 February, 2015, 12:55:23 am »
There were three tack points almost one on top of the others. I could click on nos 100 and 102but not 101. The location of 102 was an RV trailer park, which is presumably where he is spending tonight, but it would appear that they have parked the bus for the night and he has gone for a few extra miles.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #779 on: 01 February, 2015, 01:53:04 am »
I am generally bemused about why Kurt has so few people giving him kudos on Strava or liking his FB updates.  It almost feels like the cycling/Strava "community" is no such thing, but simply the Metu tribe who have bought into the notion that Steve is doing this "properly" whilst Kurt is the anti-hero trying to steal the rightful crown.  Which is just not a worldview I can agree with.

Go Kurt and Steve

You won't catch me "liking" anything or anybody on the property of the Mega-Global Walled Garden Corporation of Menlo Park, USAnia and when all is said and done, Tarzan is either a FOREIGN or a member of the House of Lords.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #780 on: 01 February, 2015, 03:33:52 pm »
Kurt finally seems to be moving today, some 3 hours or more after his tracker was first turned on. Not sure what's going on there  :-\
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #781 on: 01 February, 2015, 04:46:27 pm »
And now it hasn't updated for fifteen minutes.  More mechanicals?  I guess we'll have to wait until his Mega-Global Walled Garden Corporation of Menlo Park, USAnia page gets updated chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #782 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:25:55 pm »
ummm...up and running again now, after another quick transit shift by the looks of things - obviously some kind of issue impeding his progress.
Garry Broad

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #783 on: 01 February, 2015, 05:29:38 pm »
Was worried for a while.  It doesn't exactly say "Here be Alligators" on the map where he stopped, but "Gator Creek Drive" was just a few streets away!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #784 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:07:34 pm »
ummm...up and running again now, after another quick transit shift by the looks of things - obviously some kind of issue impeding his progress.

I may be wrong but I think the issue was the 18 mph SE wind he was heading into on that road for what would have been nearly 40km. A quick transfer and he's now heading NNW at a fair rate

« Reply #785 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:13:58 pm »

I may be wrong but I think the issue was the 18 mph SE wind he was heading into on that road for what would have been nearly 40km. A quick transfer and he's now heading NNW at a fair rate

Doesn`t Steve do lots km out into headwinds then ???? ::-) ::-) So getting transfer is a bit===IMHO OFF  :o
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

hillbilly

« Reply #786 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:19:07 pm »
It is a cycling challenge.  Not who is the hardest rider.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #787 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:24:50 pm »
^^wot 'e said^^ Don't forget Tommy Godwin used trains for the same reason.

« Reply #788 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:30:30 pm »
Right....who's going to buy Steve an overnight sleeper train ticket to Scotland so that he can benefit from a huge distance day with strong northerly winds blowing him home ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #789 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:32:08 pm »
Rools is rools, innit.

There's clearly such a huge difference between their approaches that, if this were the sort of event in which more people were likely to take part, there would probably be separate categories for "unsupported", "supported", "downhill supported", "wind-assisted supported", "multi-bike supported" and so on. As it is, assuming that one of these guys pushes the record up to near the 90,000 mile mark, challengers will be so few and far between that it will probably stand for ever.

Having said that,

Come on Steve!

« Reply #790 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:35:31 pm »

Yes, and here's how [wind assuming]...
and it keeps going...on and on...for a few miles yet.
Garry Broad

« Reply #791 on: 01 February, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »
"^^wot 'e said^^ Don't forget Tommy Godwin used trains for the same reason."

I have found no concrete evidence to support this. I think it is anecdotal and I have almost every single clipping covering his attempt from 1939-1940

« Reply #792 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:08:50 pm »

I have found no concrete evidence to support this. I think it is anecdotal and I have almost every single clipping covering his attempt from 1939-1940

Interesting.  I was first told this story (by someone who had done sports science at Loughborough if that narrows it down) sitting in a cafe on the quay at Dieppe many years ago after one of Neville's Dieppe Raids and have always remembered it since, even if I had forgotten Godwin's name.  Like all the best stories, it sounds good enough to be true even if it isn't.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #793 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:33:02 pm »

If that's the case I stand corrected - I haven't read everything on Tommy Godwin, I was repeating other comments from this forum.

« Reply #794 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:35:59 pm »
It reminds me of the other myth I've heard that he drafted lorries. Think of the logistics involved, it's just not worth it in the end. I'm certain he did the vast majority of his riding in the Stoke - London corridor. Many of his days were 16 hours+ leaving little room for train ticket purchase, collection, arrival at the right time for the train etc..

« Reply #795 on: 01 February, 2015, 08:33:18 pm »
One way to find out would be from the 'Cycling' check cards, they'd reveal any transfers.

« Reply #796 on: 01 February, 2015, 08:45:44 pm »
Were lorries not speed limited pre war? I seem to remember reading that they were limited to 40mph tops. So drafting, if this is the case, would not be that improbable.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #797 on: 01 February, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »
The lorry speed limit was 30mph after 1930. I understood that cyclists were known to linger on hilltops to catch a draft into nasty headwinds.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #798 on: 01 February, 2015, 08:51:30 pm »
Were lorries not speed limited pre war? I seem to remember reading that they were limited to 40mph tops. So drafting, if this is the case, would not be that improbable.

20 mph, or evens as it's known. In the immediate post-war period my Dad tells of riding up the A6 to the Kendal behind lorries. It was easier than trying to overtake them.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #799 on: 01 February, 2015, 08:53:42 pm »
It is a cycling challenge.  Not who is the hardest rider.

It is a cycling challenge but it should be entered on as much a like-for-like basis as possible. Granted, both riders live a few thousand miles apart.

I spent a good few miles this morning musing on whether it was an even contest if one rider uses a recumbent to save his legs and backside, while the other grins and bears it and just gets on with the job. I know who has my respect.

As far as I'm aware Godwin didn't ride a recumbent anyway, so IMHO it's slightly taking the mickey to use a type of machine which was not used in the original challenge.

Mojo is being awakened.