Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 459124 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #900 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:43:13 pm »
:(  I hope this doesn't affect his ride.  No point in speculating; it's none of our business.  Kurt has chosen to share the information, and that's that.
Getting there...

« Reply #901 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:52:21 pm »
Not many other serious sportspeople would put a post like that on Facebook for everyone to see.    Got to be honest - it puts me off him. It's a bit amateurish.   Plus the comments from his friends are a bit too heavy on the god front for me.   

Seeing as this is a race, and a competition .... I'm not afraid to say it. ..... I hope Steve Abrahams breaks him.   

I think the rules are kind on him anyway.

There is winning, then there is winning the right way!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #902 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:56:50 pm »
I think we all hope Steve wins - a lot of us have donated to his cause - but that doesn't mean it's not really sad that Kurt's having marriage problems.

paul851

« Reply #903 on: 04 February, 2015, 01:59:58 pm »
:(  I hope this doesn't affect his ride.  No point in speculating; it's none of our business.  Kurt has chosen to share the information, and that's that.

+1

Paul

« Reply #904 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:02:13 pm »
I think we all hope Steve wins - a lot of us have donated to his cause - but that doesn't mean it's not really sad that Kurt's having marriage problems.

I have no opinion on it being sad or otherwise.... I don't know the man or anyone involved

I follow him on Facebook because of this record attempt .... Just think it's a bit odd to accept random friends to follow you and then broadcast stuff like this to me.

Contrast this with the output from Steves page.  I don't really want to know.

« Reply #905 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:02:35 pm »
As I observed elsewhere looking at Kurt's progress on Jo's graph you can see he is riding consistently, where as you can see when Steve stops for either second breakfast or lunch. Do we know if Kurt is being fed from the RV while on the move / grabbing a muesett and eating while riding. That could prove a significant advantage over the year provided the lack of variety imposed by what can be eaten while riding doesn't drive him mad.

« Reply #906 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:04:11 pm »

It's not clear that any of them consider there to be problems. He's just putting the current status public.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #907 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:05:10 pm »
Not many other serious sportspeople would put a post like that on Facebook for everyone to see.    Got to be honest - it puts me off him. It's a bit amateurish.

It's on his personal page rather than his HAM'R page, he's not putting it out there as anything to do with his record attempt (though maybe he should be more circumspect about who he accepts as 'friends' on his personal page).

And he's by no means the first sportsman who has had to make a public statement of that sort after speculation surrounding his personal life.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #908 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:05:56 pm »
As I observed elsewhere looking at Kurt's progress on Jo's graph you can see he is riding consistently, where as you can see when Steve stops for either second breakfast or lunch. Do we know if Kurt is being fed from the RV while on the move / grabbing a muesett and eating while riding. That could prove a significant advantage over the year provided the lack of variety imposed by what can be eaten while riding doesn't drive him mad.

This doesn't quite answer your question...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1568149216760119

« Reply #909 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:10:48 pm »
Not many other serious sportspeople would put a post like that on Facebook for everyone to see.    Got to be honest - it puts me off him. It's a bit amateurish.

It's on his personal page rather than his HAM'R page, he's not putting it out there as anything to do with his record attempt (though maybe he should be more circumspect about who he accepts as 'friends' on his personal page).

And he's by no means the first sportsman who has had to make a public statement of that sort after speculation surrounding his personal life.

He is accepting friend requests on his personal page from anyone who asks - so this did come up on my Facebook feed.

Not many sportsman make those kind of announcements while competing.

I have seen no speculation about his personal life anywhere .... Until he posted this ... So ultimately it isn't a great move on that front!

paul851

« Reply #910 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:41:01 pm »
He's living out of the back of a camper van with a woman who isn't his wife, I would be surprised if their hadn't been at least raised eyebrows amongst his friends and close acquaintances and he has decided to put an end to the rumours etc ,whether we agree with broadcasting it on Fb or not at the end of the day it's Kurt's decision .

Paul

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #911 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:42:27 pm »
Looking at the videos on Kurt's FB pages, I sort of get the impression that the job of Kurt's support is to drive the van and hold the video camera whilst he sorts out his own problems.
I'm sure this is not the case though!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #912 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:46:17 pm »
I suppose giving "presented with a vision quest that I can not walk away from" as a reason for the breakdown of your marriage sounds a lot better than "I've been fucking Alicia for ages". Which is obviously the real reason...  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #913 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:49:42 pm »

Exactly.

Nothing unusual here. Shit happens.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #914 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:50:13 pm »
I have seen no speculation about his personal life anywhere ....

The nature of his relationship with Alicia has been raised here previously. I'm assuming it has been discussed elsewhere - as per paul851's comment, such speculation is to be expected (if not to be encouraged) - and I'm assuming that is the reason for his announcement, though I may be wrong on both counts.

He is accepting friend requests on his personal page from anyone who asks - so this did come up on my Facebook feed.

Whether or not he should accept such requests and the privacy status of his facebook posts are entirely up to him. I have to wonder, though, if you don't know him in real life and you're not interested in his personal life, why did you request to be his 'friend' on his personal facebook page? Everything you need to know about his record attempt is on his HAM'R page.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #915 on: 04 February, 2015, 02:54:38 pm »
Looking at the videos on Kurt's FB pages, I sort of get the impression that the job of Kurt's support is to drive the van and hold the video camera whilst he sorts out his own problems.
I'm sure this is not the case though!

We don't know what she's doing when she's not holding the video camera, of course.

« Reply #916 on: 04 February, 2015, 03:08:30 pm »
Interesting, I had wondered whether the family commitments may actually impact on Tarzan but I suspect this will liberate him and make him an even stronger competitor.

You can't control the rollercoaster of love.  I wish them all well and hope that it all works out for the best - whatever the best is.  Can't judge others on relationships.

Does not play well with others

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #917 on: 04 February, 2015, 03:12:17 pm »

Whether or not he should accept such requests and the privacy status of his facebook posts are entirely up to him. I have to wonder, though, if you don't know him in real life and you're not interested in his personal life, why did you request to be his 'friend' on his personal facebook page? Everything you need to know about his record attempt is on his HAM'R page.

Why not? Its a page about Kurt the athlete. When I saw his name for the record attempt it's the first link I found. I started following when he started the ride - and found out about the HAMR page from there.

I've also friended Steve Abraham and Chris Hopkinson since the ride started for reasons of progress reports. I've never met either in real life.

« Reply #918 on: 04 February, 2015, 03:41:50 pm »
You can't control the rollercoaster of love.

That sounds hilarious coming from a rabbit!

Heh  ;D
Does not play well with others

« Reply #919 on: 04 February, 2015, 04:18:36 pm »

Why not? Its a page about Kurt the athlete. When I saw his name for the record attempt it's the first link I found. I started following when he started the ride - and found out about the HAMR page from here.

I've also friended Steve Abraham since the ride started and Chris Hopkinson for reasons of progress reports. I've never met either in real life.

Same here - I had no idea it was his own personal page I was following.   I just saw it linked from another user.   I had no idea he even had a wife or a 'supporter' until his update popped up.

For me it is just a bit of an odd thing to post considering so many people are looking at your page for cycling reasons and nothing else.

Save all this stuff for the book!   Sounds like it might be a good read!

« Reply #920 on: 04 February, 2015, 04:32:53 pm »
Just seen that myself, seems a bit extreme after 25yrs of marriage  ???

Not really- mid life crisis or unfulfilled ambition- call it what you will but Kurt obviously wants to pursue the record and his wife can't share his vision.Plenty of marriages flounder after similar time together , as couples grow apart. 

If the God bothering comments from friends seems strange, then you obviously  haven't mixed with many 'mercans.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #921 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:06:19 pm »
regarding "odd things to post on Facebook" etc ...

Can we just accept that Facebook is NOT a very good medium for controlling flow of information to very specific overlapping groups. (Actually, no modern tech is much better!)
It doesn't match the way we interact in flesh-space - so if you choose to use these new-fangled channels,  you have to accept some oddities from time-to-time.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #922 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:15:10 pm »

Indeed.  I caught the second half of an interesting prog about Walesish Rugby international Gareth Thomas last night.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #923 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:30:06 pm »
Quite. I'm not on bacefook but if I want to know what Tarzan's up to, his page is where I look.

My children keep me informed about vital family gossip from bacefook. It is thus that I learned that my nephew was separating from his wife, that he was shacking up with another woman and, not à propos of those two eventualities, that he had sired a bastard son when he was living in North Wales.

I have given up listening to the Archers because of its far-fetched story lines, but it appears that this thread might be a good substitute.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hillbilly

« Reply #924 on: 04 February, 2015, 05:31:17 pm »
Knocking out 201 miles by day.
No longer knocking out one by night.