Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 451864 times)

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1300 on: 20 February, 2015, 02:06:51 pm »
9.05 EST so a late start and not well, he may struggle to get his usual mileage in!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #1301 on: 20 February, 2015, 02:15:54 pm »
Hmmm,  all this British fairness.  My position is pretty clear. I suport Steve not Kurt.  I am however happy to applaud his achievements.  I wish them both well and hope the contest will not be shortened by an incident beyond their control - especially a RTA. I want the rules applied even handedly.
That covers it I think.

GO STEVE!
Reine de la Fauche

Psychler

« Reply #1302 on: 20 February, 2015, 02:27:10 pm »
It's a "sick day"? So that means he'll only be doing 200 miles today instead of 250? ;)

From the tracker it looks like he might be heading out back over the bridges again to Key West. That would be about 130 miles but he's flying at 24mph so probably massively wind assisted now

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1303 on: 20 February, 2015, 02:27:31 pm »
As a YACFer and AUK I naturally support Steve, but I'm really interested to see how what was succinctly described as "RAAM vs PBP" plays out.  Which means I support Kurt as well - what he's achieving really is remarkable.

Other than the usual recumbent-bashing, and the odd bit of humour that might be lost in translation, I haven't seen anything that can really be described as 'trash talk', but there's presumably a whole bottom half of the internet that I've not been reading on Facebook or somewhere.

simonp

« Reply #1304 on: 20 February, 2015, 02:38:18 pm »
I'm sure the Daily Mail could find a furriners stealing a briton's rightful prize by underhand tactics angle. Or something about bloody cyclists anyway.

« Reply #1305 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:03:38 pm »
Hmmm,  all this British fairness.  My position is pretty clear. I suport Steve not Kurt.  I am however happy to applaud his achievements.  I wish them both well and hope the contest will not be shortened by an incident beyond their control - especially a RTA. I want the rules applied even handedly.
That covers it I think.

GO STEVE!
Well said :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1306 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:19:17 pm »
I'm sure the Daily Mail could find a furriners stealing a briton's rightful prize by underhand tactics angle. Or something about bloody cyclists anyway.

Are you sure that USAnians are forriners? Quite a lot of them look normal.
It is simpler than it looks.

Psychler

« Reply #1307 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:21:32 pm »
RAAM 2014 on tv tonight Eurosport 9pm

« Reply #1308 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:01:55 pm »
Frankly, I'm more concerned about electronic accuracy that alcohol. If there are some miles in either the tracker's or Strava's totals which have not been ridden, then they should be clearly flagged. I confess not having involved myself in the minutiae of their electronic recording but it seems to me that if any such discrepancies are not addressed straight away then they could "disappear" and, if left until the end of the year to rectify, are much more likely to lead to disputes.

Such as this ride with a vehicle transfer that is flagged at the moment. He acknowledged it at the time but has done nothing about it. These miles were also recorded on his spreadsheet as a record of his daily mileage.

https://www.strava.com/activities/246684107/analysis

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1309 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »

Are you sure that USAnians are forriners? Quite a lot of them look normal.

Yes. They chucked our tea into Boston harbour while in fancy dress.  No true BRITON would be party to such behaviour.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1310 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:34:48 pm »
That's just how USAnians think you make a cup of tea, thobut.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1311 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:38:43 pm »
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1312 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:41:10 pm »
They'd have needed a slice of lemon the size of Wembley Stadium too, thobut.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1313 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:50:22 pm »
Oh no! Weak tea jokes.

Psychler

« Reply #1314 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:05:27 pm »
It's a "sick day"? So that means he'll only be doing 200 miles today instead of 250? ;)

From the tracker it looks like he might be heading out back over the bridges again to Key West. That would be about 130 miles but he's flying at 24mph so probably massively wind assisted now

Looks like he got to Key West and has turned around.  The wind must have dropped on the bridge

« Reply #1315 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:13:23 pm »
What kind of organisation would sanction the consumption of alcohol during an endurance event on public roads?   Making a stand on social media on alcohol is just plain disappointing.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1316 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:24:45 pm »
Endorsement of alcohol has no place in sport, but there's nothing like a cold beer after a long day in the saddle. The rule could be somewhat improved by referring to alcohol levels whilst riding, so as not to restrict an end of day beer quaffed 8 hours before the start of the next day's effort - and in effect restricting binge drinking.

« Reply #1317 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:33:36 pm »
Endorsement of alcohol has no place in sport, but there's nothing like a cold beer after a long day in the saddle. The rule could be somewhat improved by referring to alcohol levels whilst riding, so as not to restrict an end of day beer quaffed 8 hours before the start of the next day's effort - and in effect restricting binge drinking.
Agreed.
I'm (almost) teetotal but can appreciate why someone might want to enjoy a cold beer after a day's exertion. One (or even two) beers is neither here nor there.
I'd suggest no alcohol during the logged riding, and the alcohol level (next morning) not to exceed the local level for drink-driving.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1318 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:51:24 pm »
I'd suggest just removing the rule. They don't need to positively do anything. Or they could have a catch all about meeting the requirements of the law of the land.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1319 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:53:39 pm »
I reckon Kurt is just about ready for a beer. He's reaping what he sowed at the moment - 23mph on the way out, slogging back at 14mph. It will be getting dark soon as well: almost 6pm Florida time.

In fact, the tracker doesn't appear to have updated lately. It last did so at 10.22 GMT. He was on a bridge at that point, so I don't think he will have stopped for the night.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1320 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:12:52 pm »
I reckon Kurt is just about ready for a beer. He's reaping what he sowed at the moment - 23mph on the way out, slogging back at 14mph.

Or perhaps he's getting a lift back to do the same direction again. He doesn't really have to ride into the wind.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1321 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:14:29 pm »
What kind of organisation would sanction the consumption of alcohol during an endurance event on public roads?
One with a sense of perspective. Note that sanctioning is not the same as encouraging. They can't have a rule for every sort of iffy, or unethical behaviour. Stick to keeping the playing field as level as practicable. Be thankful they don't require a daily prayer!

Also note that PBP generally gives away a tin of (fairly weak) beer at the 600km mark (the clock is still running). I found it a boon -  I slept like a log for 30mins or so. Set off refreshed and ready to go. If anything it increased my safety.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1322 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:17:02 pm »
L'Eroica has chianti and grappa freely available at all controls!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1323 on: 21 February, 2015, 12:10:38 am »
AUK doesn't have any rules relating to alcohol, does it? Perhaps that's why everyone on every audax ever is permanently sloshed. ::-)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Psychler

« Reply #1324 on: 21 February, 2015, 02:15:34 am »
Kurt on F/B after 157 miles today

Tough day - Started out sick so got up late then head to Mickey D's to get on the internet and do some work. Started my ride from Mickey D's and was taken down in the first mile by a driver turning into a parking lot. Brushed off the dirt and head down to key west. Had a good wind down but really hard back. Still sick so quick early.