Author Topic: What is this quick release for?  (Read 1161 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
What is this quick release for?
« on: 08 July, 2020, 08:22:43 am »
Walking to the pub last night (I'll just say that again, for the sheer joy of it: Walking to the pub last night) I spied this on the pavement so put it in my pocket:

A quick release, obviously, but for what? It's branded Rockshox. The conical bit slides freely on the threaded part, suggesting the threaded part screws into something other. The conical bit is loosley held* in place by two teeny ball bearings which locate in holes in the conical part and impinge on the threaded part.

Googling Rockshox quick release throws up a selection of through axles but I can't quite see what I found. Will the hapless rider who lost this experince sudden lack of wheel, or will it only become any annoyance when they want to remove the wheel?

* more accurately it WAS loosly held in place by two teeny ball bearings which then made a bid for freedom on the floor of the pub when I pulled it apart.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: What is this quick release for?
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2020, 08:25:27 am »
My first thought was a lock out lever for suspension but can't find anything that looks like that with the old Google

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2020, 08:44:06 am »
It'll be the lever end of a 15mm through-axle. Hopefully it didn't drop off a car-mounted bike passing along the street. Or if it did, hopefully the remaining axle remained in place 'til journey's end!  If you go for a ride along the road you might get yourself a free MTB front wheel ;-)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2020, 08:59:43 am »
Interesting that they're available separately - suggests that losing them like this isn't entirely unknown!  :facepalm:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2020, 01:03:22 pm »
It'll be the lever end of a 15mm through-axle. Hopefully it didn't drop off a car-mounted bike passing along the street. Or if it did, hopefully the remaining axle remained in place 'til journey's end!  If you go for a ride along the road you might get yourself a free MTB front wheel ;-)

The bicycle equivalent of finding a sump plug lying in the road...

« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2020, 01:35:26 pm »
I've seen carbon steerer bungs in the road on multiple occasions. Can't imagine how that happens.

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2020, 01:45:27 pm »
I use something similar in my wheel truing rig. Somehow I manage to lose one periodically. They are like socks, they have a special dimension into which they disappear.
Loving life with a beautiful Bianchi.

« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2020, 12:20:36 am »
In my case the dimension that they fall into is "small, furry & of the canine persuasion" :facepalm:

Yep! she's a weird dog but I've managed to stop her stealing my socks.  :smug:

She now steals my cleaning cloths for the bike and ends up gumming it to death. :facepalm:

I have to wash it weekly at night then give it back to her in the morning before she misses it or she raids the spare parts box looking for more cloths.

Oh well, Keeps her happy I suppose.